• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeking, but unsure what I'm looking for.

LastXercesBlue

Basically the thread title says it all.

I love religion. I love all religions. Even if I don't agree with some practices or philosophies, I accept all of them, find beauty, inspiration, and potential for gnosis in all of them, and can imagine, for at least a fleeting moment, that I could be a part of almost any of them. To me, all religions are true and just different paths going up the same mountain.

I'm beginning to think that my tolerance and universalist worldview is maybe a bad thing. At any rate, it sure is getting in the way of me finding a religion that suits me.

And sure, no one said I have to find a religion. I actually haven't even firmly said to myself that I need to find one, either. I might be satisfied combining two or three, or all of them. That's the universalist in me talking. But can I really go on like this forever?

I love the lessons taught by Jesus and the Buddha, I respect the cycles of nature and the spirits of my ancestors like a Pagan, I love the beauty of Eastern Orthodox icons, statues of Catholic saints and pagan deities, the smell of frankincense and myrrh, chants and songs and hymns and mantras and prayers humbly and joyfully calling out to the Creator in all of His/Her holy names. Buddhist temples, Shinto shrines, Catholic churches, Mosques, mountains, rivers, and beaches and my own home are all holy places. I can just as easily accept that there is one Supreme creator as I can accept that there are many gods and spirits and saints, just as I can accept we are beings with divine sparks imperfect because we were possibly created by an imperfect god, just as I can accept that maybe... just maybe... there's nothing at all.

I'm ranting, and I'm truly sorry, but I'm in the middle of a spiritual crisis, so I hope I'll be forgiven. I feel like I'm right at the edge of a major transformation, and I'm just a feather's touch away from the tipping point. Like a shamanic initiation, or a dark night of the soul, or Neo taking the red pill, or whatever you might call it, I feel like I'm waiting for my ego to die.

I really don't know what I'm expecting from posting this. I don't expect anyone to spoon-feed the answers to me. I'm not even sure what the questions are. And I don't think any one can tell me the One True Religion for me. Suggestions would be considered. I think what I'm looking for, more than that though, is for a little nudge off the edge I'm teetering on. I'll tumble in the direction I'm meant to go, if all goes well. )(

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Friend LastXercexBlue,
First of all, welcome to RF. :)

Have you tried the Belief-o-Matic quiz? There's a similar version elsewhere, where you don't have to sign up.

SelectSmart.com spiritual/religion selector quiz. Which religion suits me? Compare world religions and belief systems.

In addition, have you tried writing down what you believe? You will see after a while which ones remain static or frequent.

Write down your beliefs twice a week for a month, and then once a week for the next month, and so on. Don't look at your previous notes.

It's... interesting to see. Do feel free to share them here. :)

The Etheric Adjustment

Οβσερϝερ
I love religion. I love all religions. Even if I don't agree with some practices or philosophies, I accept all of them, find beauty, inspiration, and potential for gnosis in all of them, and can imagine, for at least a fleeting moment, that I could be a part of almost any of them. To me, all religions are true and just different paths going up the same mountain.

Since you seem to have an open mind about spiritual beliefs, my advice is that you should continue to research the belief systems that you resonate the most with. The next step should be to set your beliefs into practice :rolleyes:

Then you should probably search for people that share similar ideas about religion. I would recommend that you search for something that is not extremely dogmatic

The important thing is that you keep your mind open so that you can continue to advance in your search for the essential light (truth)

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Sounds to me like your "one true religion" is Unitarian Universalism. You'll find your lessons from Jesus, Buddha, Paganism, Humanism and everything else all under one roof.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Basically the thread title says it all.

I'm beginning to think that my tolerance and universalist worldview is maybe a bad thing. At any rate, it sure is getting in the way of me finding a religion that suits me.

And sure, no one said I have to find a religion. I actually haven't even firmly said to myself that I need to find one, either. I might be satisfied combining two or three, or all of them. That's the universalist in me talking. But can I really go on like this forever?

I love the lessons taught by Jesus and the Buddha, I respect the cycles of nature and the spirits of my ancestors like a Pagan, I love the beauty of Eastern Orthodox icons, statues of Catholic saints and pagan deities, the smell of frankincense and myrrh, chants and songs and hymns and mantras and prayers humbly and joyfully calling out to the Creator in all of His/Her holy names. Buddhist temples, Shinto shrines, Catholic churches, Mosques, mountains, rivers, and beaches and my own home are all holy places. I can just as easily accept that there is one Supreme creator as I can accept that there are many gods and spirits and saints, just as I can accept we are beings with divine sparks imperfect because we were possibly created by an imperfect god, just as I can accept that maybe... just maybe... there's nothing at all.

I'm ranting, and I'm truly sorry, but I'm in the middle of a spiritual crisis, so I hope I'll be forgiven. I feel like I'm right at the edge of a major transformation, and I'm just a feather's touch away from the tipping point. Like a shamanic initiation, or a dark night of the soul, or Neo taking the red pill, or whatever you might call it, I feel like I'm waiting for my ego to die.

I really don't know what I'm expecting from posting this. I don't expect anyone to spoon-feed the answers to me. I'm not even sure what the questions are. And I don't think any one can tell me the One True Religion for me. Suggestions would be considered. I think what I'm looking for, more than that though, is for a little nudge off the edge I'm teetering on. I'll tumble in the direction I'm meant to go, if all goes well. )(

Peace be on you...

1-- I, humbly, feel you have already travelled half the distance by understanding (in one or another way) that there is God.

2-- According to Islam, God guides the seeker:

"Guide us in the right path - "

"The path of those on whom Thou hast bestowed Thy blessings, those who have not incurred Thy displeasure, and those who have not gone astray."[alislam.org/quran Chapter 1: Verses 6 and 7]

"And as for those who strive in Our path — We will surely guide them in Our ways. And verily Allah is with those who do good." [alislam.org/quran Chapter 29 : Verse 70]

In this light, if one humbly pray for some days (usually 40), keeping focus all the time, God guides as He wishes.

3--Bouquet of Resources which Addresses Your Questions in Various Forms
A--
...For the acceptance of prayer it is necessary that there should be eagerness in it for the prayer that lacks eagerness is mere words and is not true prayer.......
Source:Acceptance Of Prayer Demands Eagerness...by the Founder of Ahmadiyya Muslim Community

B--
The Physical, Moral and Spiritual States of Man,...........Proof of the Existence of God......Attributes of God........ The State of Man after Death,The Object of Man’s Life and the Means of its Attainment, The Operation of the Practical Ordinances of the Law in this Life and the Next, Sources of Divine Knowledge,.............much more.......
Source:THE PHILOSOPHY OF THE TEACHINGS OF ISLAM by Founder of Ahmadiyya Muslim Community

C--
....I find that Islam provides conditions of peace and comfort for me and for all those who may wish to tread path prescribed by it, whoever they may be, whatever they may be and wherever they may be, in whatever position I place myself, I find that Islam is equally useful and beneficial for me and mine, for my neighbors, for people whom I do not know and have not even heard of, for men and for women, for the aged and for the young, for the employer and the employed, for the rich and for the poor, for great nations and for small, for internationalists and for the nationalists, and that it establishes a sure and certain relationship between me and my Maker...
Source:Why I Believe in Islam.....by 2nd Ahmadiyya Muslim Khalifah

D--
Any divide between revelation and rationality, religion and logic has to be irrational. ....
Source:Revelation, Rationality, Knowledge & Truth.... by 4th Ahmadiyya Muslim Khalifah

E--
The purpose of Islam is to teach man the ways of attaining peace,
both with himself and with his Creator......
Source:World Crisis and the Pathway to Peace by Current, 5 th, Ahmadiyya Muslim Khalifah

Very Good wishes.

Last edited: