• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeking advice and Guidence

dassark

Hi, I'm new to these forums and come seeking advice and Guidance. A few months ago I scared my self into believing I might die. It was in the end me over reacting But it made me think about all I have done over the years. I was only ever loosely affiliated with Christianity. I've always believed in Jesus and god. But was never a strong at the practice of it Until recently. I am trying to repent for my sins. I've been a Chronic masturbater for a few years now and one thing that keeps coming to haunt me is an incident where I attempted beastiality. Nothing came of it. No penetration or anything of that nature. But it haunts me. I never attempted it again but the masturbation still haunts me. I have gotten it mostly under control but still slip. I have started to read the bible and have been much more productive with my life since I have started reading it.

Am I on the right path to the lord? Like many I fear gods wrath, can I be forgiven? I thank any one who chooses to answer my question.

Last edited:

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member
Hi, I'm new to these forums and come seeking advice and Guidance. A few months ago I scared my self into believing I might die. It was in the end me over reacting But it made me think about all I have done over the years. I was only ever loosely affiliated with Christianity. I've always believed in Jesus and god. But was never a strong at the practice of it Until recently. I am trying to repent for my sins. I've been a Chronic masturbater for a few years now and one thing that keeps coming to haunt me is an incident where I attempted beastiality. Nothing came of it. No penetration or anything of that nature. But it haunts me. I never attempted it again but the masturbation still haunts me. I have gotten it mostly under control but still slip. I have started to read the bible and have been much more productive with my life since I have started reading it.

Am I on the right path to the lord? Like many I fear gods wrath, can I be forgiven? I thank any one who chooses to answer my question.

Hi there,

I see lot of good in you...

It is good to think about death...You know we spend short time here on earth, in comparison with time we spend after death.

it is also great to think about our sins...

I remind myself and you of the importance of spending time talking to God and asking him to show the path..

And he certainly will.

it is good to read the bible ...read the books of the other major religions...

And as a shia muslim, i encourage you to read the Quran, and to read about Shia islam in particular...

I have compiled many reliable information here:

http://www.religioninform.com/

Good luck

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Is this some kind of joke?
You'd be surprised how many threads get started about this.
You are not Jewish, so you may eat bacon and rare steak etc. and wear mixed fiber clothing etc. Don't assume Jewish religious laws apply to you, because you have said you are Christian. Masturbation is a very non-violent action. You aren't attacking anybody. What you are doing is just wasting some time. Now then, if you believe you cannot live your life without wasting time then it doesn't really matter whether you are playing a video game or jerking off. You have still wasted time either way. What is more important: sperm or your time? Its your time that is more valuable, so why worry about sperm when you are wasting time a much more valuable resource?

A guilt based approach to religion is not beneficial. It is also a waste of time. It is about as beneficial as jerking off only it does harm to you while jerking off (in moderation) actually carries some health benefits. So am I advising you to masturbate? Am I advising you to go against your conscience? I am not advising specifically what to do except to be realistic. There is a limit to how good a person can be, especially without practice. If that were not so, then we wouldn't ever need to improve gradually. Do your best to find your limit, and then don't be so hard on yourself. Find opportunities to volunteer, like with some charity. Feed the hungry, or tutor, or help the aged, or save puppies. Just think of yourself as a little kid growing up. Little kids cannot lift heavy things, walk very far etc. If I'm wrong, then prove me wrong by spending every last second of your life doing good things. If you can't do that, then don't obsess over how your time was wasted. Some things are worse than other things, so avoid the worse things such as hurting other people. If you're not going to jerk off, but you're going to watch every episode of every TV show ever made and never contribute to helping the poor or orphans or doing any good thing, then there's really just no point in worrying about it.

dassark

Is this some kind of joke?

You'd be surprised how many threads get started about this.
You are not Jewish, so you may eat bacon and rare steak etc. and wear mixed fiber clothing etc. Don't assume Jewish religious laws apply to you, because you have said you are Christian. Masturbation is a very non-violent action. You aren't attacking anybody. What you are doing is just wasting some time. Now then, if you believe you cannot live your life without wasting time then it doesn't really matter whether you are playing a video game or jerking off. You have still wasted time either way. What is more important: sperm or your time? Its your time that is more valuable, so why worry about sperm when you are wasting time a much more valuable resource?

A guilt based approach to religion is not beneficial. It is also a waste of time. It is about as beneficial as jerking off only it does harm to you while jerking off (in moderation) actually carries some health benefits. So am I advising you to masturbate? Am I advising you to go against your conscience? I am not advising specifically what to do except to be realistic. There is a limit to how good a person can be, especially without practice. If that were not so, then we wouldn't ever need to improve gradually. Do your best to find your limit, and then don't be so hard on yourself. Find opportunities to volunteer, like with some charity. Feed the hungry, or tutor, or help the aged, or save puppies. Just think of yourself as a little kid growing up. Little kids cannot lift heavy things, walk very far etc. If I'm wrong, then prove me wrong by spending every last second of your life doing good things. If you can't do that, then don't obsess over how your time was wasted. Some things are worse than other things, so avoid the worse things such as hurting other people. If you're not going to jerk off, but you're going to watch every episode of every TV show ever made and never contribute to helping the poor or orphans or doing any good thing, then there's really just no point in worrying about it.

I understand what you mean. Up until my "near death experience", I had no real ping of guilt over doing the deed. But after I realized just how much time I wasted doing it. It made stop and think about what I was doing with my life. I think my other mentioned act is what bothers me more now. I try and make peace with it. Try and make my self realize that it happened and while I can't go back and change it, I need to use it to make my self better. I've been trying to now but it seems to creep back up into the back of my mind. It's like a dark voice creeping up and trying to put me down. I seek the lords forgiveness by trying to be a better person. By praying and just talking to him. By seeking his guidance i have seen the error of my ways and in the the end. I simply seek hope. Thank you for your response. I will keep your advice in mind.

dassark

Hi there,

I see lot of good in you...

It is good to think about death...You know we spend short time here on earth, in comparison with time we spend after death.

it is also great to think about our sins...

I remind myself and you of the importance of spending time talking to God and asking him to show the path..

And he certainly will.

it is good to read the bible ...read the books of the other major religions...

And as a shia muslim, i encourage you to read the Quran, and to read about Shia islam in particular...

I have compiled many reliable information here:

http://www.religioninform.com/

Good luck

Thank you, I will remember to keep an open mind.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member

Glory to God that you have repented and are seeking Him! If you have repented of your sins, there is no need to think of them any more. I'm almost of the mind that beating yourself up over the sins of the past is in and of itself a sin. I say this not to worry you, but to make the point that constantly berating yourself on mistakes of the past causes you to fall into despair (trust me, I've been there, the accompanying feelings of worthlessness and self-loathing are neither healthy nor pleasant). Rather than looking back on your sins with regret, look to God with joyful hope and expectation, seeking to deepen your relationship with Him!

I've also been a chronic masturbator since I was 14 (I turn 22 in a few days). What I've recently found to be a more helpful approach with just beginning to cut down on it/eliminate it is to say "You know what, I have too much respect for myself and for God to stay weak and fall back into this. I want to be strong and persevere, so I can keep growing spiritually." And when the temptation comes, I tell myself, "Be strong and pull through!" It hasn't been 100% improvement yet--I'm still tempted and I still entertain the thought for a minute or two (which you should NOT do, mind you--that's the textbook way to get ensnared in the same old sin again, take it from me!)

Better people will tell you to pray when you're tempted, and they're right, but for where I'm at in my spiritual journey, the above approach works best for me personally. You can figure out what works best for you using your own powers of discernment. When you're tempted, you might try making the sign of the cross, or if that isn't your thing, say a quick, five-second prayer, and repeat it if need be ("Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us", "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner" or simply "God protect me" or "Bless me, O Lord" are all great examples).

One last recommendation I would give you is to find a community of believers that you click with, whether it's someone's house church, a Baptist church, Methodist, Lutheran, Catholic, Orthodox, Anglican, non-denominational, whatever, just find some church that you can start going to, and begin attending worship, Bible studies, get to know people. Having a support network will be very helpful as you begin to deepen in your faith and in your relationship with God.

rusra02

Premium Member

Hi dassark. To answer your question, the Bible describes the true God as ready to forgive. Psalm 86:5 says; " For you, O Jehovah, are good and ready to forgive; You abound in loyal love for all those who call on you." I believe God wants us to " be saved and come to an accurate knowledge of truth." (1 Timothy 2:4) I also believe he has provided the Bible so we can get this accurate knowledge of the truth about God. (2 Timothy 3:16,17) You are doing well in reading the Bible, and working to overcome the unclean habit of masturbation.(Galatians 5:19) I think it would be a great help to you to find the people who really respect the Bible and follow it's teachings. They can help you learn more about God and his purpose to give eternal life to those who serve him.(John 17:3)

Last edited:

dassark

Glory to God that you have repented and are seeking Him! If you have repented of your sins, there is no need to think of them any more. I'm almost of the mind that beating yourself up over the sins of the past is in and of itself a sin. I say this not to worry you, but to make the point that constantly berating yourself on mistakes of the past causes you to fall into despair (trust me, I've been there, the accompanying feelings of worthlessness and self-loathing are neither healthy nor pleasant). Rather than looking back on your sins with regret, look to God with joyful hope and expectation, seeking to deepen your relationship with Him!

I've also been a chronic masturbator since I was 14 (I turn 22 in a few days). What I've recently found to be a more helpful approach with just beginning to cut down on it/eliminate it is to say "You know what, I have too much respect for myself and for God to stay weak and fall back into this. I want to be strong and persevere, so I can keep growing spiritually." And when the temptation comes, I tell myself, "Be strong and pull through!" It hasn't been 100% improvement yet--I'm still tempted and I still entertain the thought for a minute or two (which you should NOT do, mind you--that's the textbook way to get ensnared in the same old sin again, take it from me!)

Better people will tell you to pray when you're tempted, and they're right, but for where I'm at in my spiritual journey, the above approach works best for me personally. You can figure out what works best for you using your own powers of discernment. When you're tempted, you might try making the sign of the cross, or if that isn't your thing, say a quick, five-second prayer, and repeat it if need be ("Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us", "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner" or simply "God protect me" or "Bless me, O Lord" are all great examples).

One last recommendation I would give you is to find a community of believers that you click with, whether it's someone's house church, a Baptist church, Methodist, Lutheran, Catholic, Orthodox, Anglican, non-denominational, whatever, just find some church that you can start going to, and begin attending worship, Bible studies, get to know people. Having a support network will be very helpful as you begin to deepen in your faith and in your relationship with God.

Thank you, I read what you wrote at work and I have started looking for a group. Thank you again for the advice and may you be blessed and guided through your days.

dassark

Hi dassark. To answer your question, the Bible describes the true God as ready to forgive. Psalm 86:5 says; " For you, O Jehovah, are good and ready to forgive; You abound in loyal love for all those who call on you." I believe God wants us to " be saved and come to an accurate knowledge of truth." (1 Timothy 2:4) I also believe he has provided the Bible so we can get this accurate knowledge of the truth about God. (2 Timothy 3:16,17) You are doing well in reading the Bible, and working to overcome the unclean habit of masturbation.(Galatians 5:19) I think it would be a great help to you to find the people who really respect the Bible and follow it's teachings. They can help you learn more about God and his purpose to give eternal life to those who serve him.(John 17:3)

Thanks for the reply. I hope to make my self understand that god will forgive if I look to him and seek his guidance. The bible is just one way that helps me under stand that. Thank you.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I understand what you mean. Up until my "near death experience", I had no real ping of guilt over doing the deed. But after I realized just how much time I wasted doing it. It made stop and think about what I was doing with my life. I think my other mentioned act is what bothers me more now. I try and make peace with it. Try and make my self realize that it happened and while I can't go back and change it, I need to use it to make my self better. I've been trying to now but it seems to creep back up into the back of my mind. It's like a dark voice creeping up and trying to put me down. I seek the lords forgiveness by trying to be a better person. By praying and just talking to him. By seeking his guidance i have seen the error of my ways and in the the end. I simply seek hope. Thank you for your response. I will keep your advice in mind.
There is an interesting verse that I like a lot that says "...make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ." (2 Peter 1:8)

I think these are not things you add one at a time but little by little add to each of them all, and they just kind of reinforce each other. The goal is to be productive and to stay busy. That really is what most people struggle with the most, at least it is for me. Its so easy to do nothing. There's another verse that says "One who is slack in his work is brother to one who destroys." (Proverbs 18:9) That one has always struck me, because I have a hard time focusing. Fortunately its not focus that matters as much as willingness to work.

dassark

You know I have given what has been said here much thought and I want to leave some thoughts for any one searching for similar advice. I have found that you must always keep a positive out look. Something so many people I have seen in the news, TV and the internet lack is Hope. So many people see the glass as half empty that they let themselves fall to sadness and have no hope. At the start of my journey i discovered quickly that you need to remember to have hope. Hope for your self, hope for the future. You must always try to be be positive and to keep a smile on your face. I let my problems bother me for a long time. They haunted me and made me feel like a horrible person. But as I thought about it and studied it. I learned that though God wants us to remember what we did. He also wants us to learn from our mistakes sinful or not. He wants us to use them to become better people. He wants us to not bury our selves in guilt. But to rise up from that pit and to fallow him to better place.

Even though I might fall again to temptation, or you might. We must pick our selves up and continue to fallow him. Through good times and through bad, We must never give up hope. Lord Jesus and god will always be watching us and shepherding us. They will never give up on us. The love they give is too strong and will always over come any difficulty. I admit I've slipped but I feel god in my heart and he is there in everyone. I always return to him

I thank those who have left responses here for giving their opinion and advice. I hope others will continue to do so.

So to anyone who came here in search of advice on similar topics as I asked here. Remember to keep your chin held high and to know god is there for you and is there to give you hope. God Bless all who read this and I wish you well on your journey's.

dassark

There is an interesting verse that I like a lot that says "...make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ." (2 Peter 1:8)

I think these are not things you add one at a time but little by little add to each of them all, and they just kind of reinforce each other. The goal is to be productive and to stay busy. That really is what most people struggle with the most, at least it is for me. Its so easy to do nothing. There's another verse that says "One who is slack in his work is brother to one who destroys." (Proverbs 18:9) That one has always struck me, because I have a hard time focusing. Fortunately its not focus that matters as much as willingness to work.

I see, I also have a hard time focusing. So i will try and stay as busy as possible. Thanks for the continued advice.