• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeking a Spiritual Path...

There is one thing I understand - that I believe in the Abrahamic God.

When I was younger, I rebelled and explored other religions (which helped strengthen my belief, in the long run). It was an experience I wouldn't trade for anything, because I gained empathy for other religions that I simply didn't have before.

Now, with this simple understanding, I find myself confused. If I were to convert or practice another religion besides Christianity, I want to be genuine, earnest. The last thing I want to do is upset my family, and I need to be a lot more knowledgeable about it before I do such a change.

My past rebelling helped me learn that I need to take such things seriously.

I have a copy of the Quran, and I've been reading it. However, there's a lot of things that I find confusing (often relating to fasting and other specific beliefs and taboos). I would have tried to ask questions from a local mosque, but there aren't any where I live. So the best I could do is go online and try to learn it myself.

It's not something I'm sure about, and I feel like I'm treading on shaky ground. It would be wonderful if someone who practices Islam could answer some of my questions about it.

Islam is pretty much the same thing as Christianity. Same God. Same devil. Same angels. Same Adam. Same Moses. The list goes on.

Slightly different names, rituals, programming etc.

You'll still be worshipping the same God. You'll just be indoctrinating yourself into a similar system of allowing others to pull your strings and dominate your lifestyle.

You don't need to subscribe to a religion to worship God.

However, the Quran is like the Bible part 2. Totally worth the read.

nazz

Doubting Thomas

When I was younger, I rebelled and explored other religions (which helped strengthen my belief, in the long run). It was an experience I wouldn't trade for anything, because I gained empathy for other religions that I simply didn't have before.

Now, with this simple understanding, I find myself confused. If I were to convert or practice another religion besides Christianity, I want to be genuine, earnest. The last thing I want to do is upset my family, and I need to be a lot more knowledgeable about it before I do such a change.

I have a copy of the Quran, and I've been reading it. However, there's a lot of things that I find confusing (often relating to fasting and other specific beliefs and taboos). I would have tried to ask questions from a local mosque, but there aren't any where I live. So the best I could do is go online and try to learn it myself.

It's not something I'm sure about, and I feel like I'm treading on shaky ground. It would be wonderful if someone who practices Islam could answer some of my questions about it.

I took up Islam for a while so I could probably answer some questions. I approached it coming from a Christian background so that might be helpful to you. But you could also ask questions in the Islam DIR:

Islam DIR - Religious Education Forum

loverOfTruth

Hi there...I am a Muslim and I can try to answer any questions you have. Please feel free to message me if you don't feel like asking some questions in public forums. Also to get started, I would advise you to read the following article which describes the basics of Islam.

http://thesimplemessage.blogspot.com/2006/03/catholics-request-dispelling-lies.html

Hope this helps.

dynavert2012

surly Islam isn't like Christianity, and if you are fully aware about the bible and you read the quran, for sure you will observe some similarities but as well you will discover how far are they
i read a thread of you in is the islam DIR and i see that's right way to ask about your thoughts, specially that you will find some differences about what you know about Islam and what's Islam in real

wish for you good luck, and to be guided to the straight path :)