• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Seek me and you will fine me"..."Seek me and you won't find me"

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Isn't cherry-picking verses and taking them out of context so much fun?

I'll leave Mathew to the Christians, but the verses from Proverbs are pretty clear when read with in the whole chapter.

waitasec

Veteran Member
only God measures that...he knows our thoughts and intentions so he can see the sincerity of every individual.

And when he sees it, he draws them to him according to 2Chronicals 16:9 For, as regards Jehovah, his eyes are roving about through all the earth to show his strength in behalf of those whose heart is complete toward him.
ok, but how does the individual know that for themselves?
iow, how do they know they have met gods criteria of being sincere?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
ok, but how does the individual know that for themselves?
iow, how do they know they have met gods criteria of being sincere?

I dont think God expects you to meet any criteria initially. And not everybody starts out as a completely sincere...many people dont have a knowledge of God, so their sincerity is not judged on their interest or lack of interest. In some cases it takes time for a person to first get to know God. They may just be curious as to what the bible teaches on certain subjects, but as they learn a little about God, they may decide in all sincerity to take things further....and that sincerity is produced on the bases of knowledge. Understanding some small truth can lead to sincerity.

The bible is made available to all regardless of their initial interest or sincerity. God opens the door to everyone. But the understanding he gives ultimately will be based on how they respond to his message.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Just curious: who authored Proverbs 1-10, when, and how do we know?

Nowhere does the bible, or proverbs, say that Solomon wrote the Proverbs.
However, it says that he ‘spoke’ proverbs, also that “he . . . made a thorough search, that he might arrange many proverbs in order,” thus showing that he had an interest in preserving proverbs for later use. (1 Ki. 4:32; Eccl. 12:9)
There are two men named as the writers, Agur & Lemuel, but its uncertain as to who these men were. Its also noteworthy that some editions of the Hebrew text display the trigrammaton, or three letters, Chehth, Za′yin, Qohph (חזק) which stand for King Hezekiah’s signature to signify that the work had been completed. So some of the proverbs were compiled in the 7th century bce during Hezekiahs reign

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Nowhere does the bible, or proverbs, say that Solomon wrote the Proverbs.
However, it says that he ‘spoke’ proverbs, also that “he . . . made a thorough search, that he might arrange many proverbs in order,” thus showing that he had an interest in preserving proverbs for later use. (1 Ki. 4:32; Eccl. 12:9)
Actually, it shows that the 7th or 6th century bce author(s) of Kings had that belief or, at least, chose to convey it. To take a line in Proverbs as God inspired and inerrant truth is little more than theological bias.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh, isn't it wonderful how one finds one own interpretation in the time of need? In fact, is there not more than one interpretation for every scripture in the supposed holy book that one Christian has difficulty agreeing upon with another Christian?

If God had meant exactly what he meant, then why is it that man has to interpret what he meant?

Oh isn't it wonderful how people segue into a completely different topic once they realize that their point's been blown completely out of the water. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
I dont think God expects you to meet any criteria initially. And not everybody starts out as a completely sincere...many people dont have a knowledge of God, so their sincerity is not judged on their interest or lack of interest. In some cases it takes time for a person to first get to know God. They may just be curious as to what the bible teaches on certain subjects, but as they learn a little about God, they may decide in all sincerity to take things further....and that sincerity is produced on the bases of knowledge. Understanding some small truth can lead to sincerity.

The bible is made available to all regardless of their initial interest or sincerity. God opens the door to everyone. But the understanding he gives ultimately will be based on how they respond to his message.

the bible is the only text that "claims" to be left by god Pegg....

how does one choose?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
the bible is the only text that "claims" to be left by god Pegg....

how does one choose?

we all have the intelligence to make a search. there is no harm in looking into the bible....you certainly cannot loose anything by doing so.

Either it is a book inspired by God, or it isnt. That determination ultimately rests in your hands after examining its contents. If you dont like what it says, you move onto the next. Its that simple.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
to be fair, the context of proverbs 1:28 is about a person who hates knowledge and did not choose to fear the lord...

and in matthew the context is the sermon on the mount were those he was speaking to wanted jesus' knowledge and chose to fear the lord

what gets me is, why would someone who doesn't understand is all of a sudden a person who hates knowledge as a person who understands that making a decision based on fear is the worst reason to make a decision...

i don't get it. unless this idea of god in proverbs is just a control freak.

People seek God.
Some do so honestly...some don't.

waitasec

Veteran Member
we all have the intelligence to make a search. there is no harm in looking into the bible....you certainly cannot loose anything by doing so.

no there isn't.
but you must concede the bible doesn't speak to everyone.
so either you have to accept the fact that the bible is limited in the way it conveys it's supposed message, or people are liars who claim they are seeking god but cannot find god in the bible.

Either it is a book inspired by God, or it isnt. That determination ultimately rests in your hands after examining its contents. If you dont like what it says, you move onto the next. Its that simple.
why do you approach the bible like that?
people speak different languages but they come to the same understanding
and it's not really about liking anything, it's about connection, it's about it making sense, speaking the same language.
are you implying the bible is the ONE and ONLY source that one NEEDS to have in order to KNOW god?

waitasec

Veteran Member
Conversing with you would be easier if you actually said something intelligent.

And???...is not much of a question.
No doubt your next retort will be worthwhile?

your post was as profound as saying one needs to breath in order to keep from passing out.
whats the point in making obvious statements....

does it help you feel better about yourself?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
no there isn't.
but you must concede the bible doesn't speak to everyone.
so either you have to accept the fact that the bible is limited in the way it conveys it's supposed message, or people are liars who claim they are seeking god but cannot find god in the bible.

that is not the case imo. The bible is Gods word...our creator. His word is for everyone, but not everyone chooses to accept it. That is the problem.

why do you approach the bible like that?

because the bible writers claim to be writing Gods word...his thoughts and message to mankind. I reasoned that they were either serious, or they were making it up. I studied it with an open mind that those writers were 'possibly' telling the truth.

my conclusion is that they were indeed telling the truth. But i only came to that conclusion after looking into it. I think that is how we individually need to approach every piece of writing that claims divine authorship. And only by studying can we determine if the writing is from God or not.

people speak different languages but they come to the same understanding
and it's not really about liking anything, it's about connection, it's about it making sense, speaking the same language.
are you implying the bible is the ONE and ONLY source that one NEEDS to have in order to KNOW god?

Well there is only one God Almighty... all religions agree to that. It makes sense to me that he would identify himself in one way to all mankind rather then in many different forms and by many different teachings (all very contradictory) which would be confusing.

I tend to believe that there can be only one truth, while others may believe that truth is subjective and changes...i dont. So the bible was a good solid source of information that satisfied me personally.

Last edited:

Orias

Left Hand Path
What I want to know is how one can be an insincere seeker.

It doesn't really seem logical, and by that I mean it doesn't seem like something that could exist.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
your post was as profound as saying one needs to breath in order to keep from passing out.
whats the point in making obvious statements....

does it help you feel better about yourself?

I do make profound statements now and then.
then your retort with....
"and???"

Does this make you feel better?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
What I want to know is how one can be an insincere seeker.

It doesn't really seem logical, and by that I mean it doesn't seem like something that could exist.

A discussion, as between the Carpenter and the pharisees will display the situation.

Or you could continue watching how waitasec retorts.