• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Securing our borders

Smoke

Done here.
We keep hearing, from John McCain and others, that the federal government must secure our borders.

Do you agree?

If you agree, how do you propose that we secure (a) our border with Mexico, (b) our border with Canada, and (c) our coastlines?

Why is your plan a good plan? How much will it cost?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Don't worry. Once the economy falls to a certain point, and unemployment rises to a certain point, people will no longer have a reason to sneak in here.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Call our Forces back.

We're aren't really doing any good policing other countries.
Our people could do more at home.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why do Americans always seek a military solution to every problem?
Repeal NAFTA and Mexico's economy will improve. Decriminalise drug possession and you'll likely end Mexico's narco wars.
Enforce US employment regulations at the employer level and you'll see a stampede for the border that'll make your head spin.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Repeal NAFTA and Mexico's economy will improve. Decriminalise drug possession and you'll likely end Mexico's narco wars.
Enforce US employment regulations at the employer level and you'll see a stampede for the border that'll make your head spin.

This! Even island nations like Japan accept that some illegal immigrants are inevitable. Enforcing the border with entire regiments would only promote more hostility between us and Mexico, and it would be excessively wasteful. Cut off the incentive. Poor Hispanics need to have their frustrations contained within their homeland so that they can focus their energy on reforming their corrupt governments.

Almost half of all undocumented workers overstay their visas. We should look into ways we can observe their activities better.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
This! Even island nations like Japan accept that some illegal immigrants are inevitable. Enforcing the border with entire regiments would only promote more hostility between us and Mexico, and it would be excessively wasteful. Cut off the incentive. Poor Hispanics need to have their frustrations contained within their homeland so that they can focus their energy on reforming their corrupt governments.

Almost half of all undocumented workers overstay their visas. We should look into ways we can observe their activities better.

Sending the illegals home would be good for America.
But they won't go of their own free will....they will die in poverty...and they know it.

We are producing grain and goods beyond their ability to compete.
(that's why they come north in the first place.)
South of the border, poverty would escalate.
That's why they don't want to go home.
They have to be forced to go.

But to enforce visa law requires a lot of hands on personnel....in uniform.
A lot of uniforms.

Enforcing workplace ethics requires jailing employers.
It's been illegal for years to hire illegal workers.
But the CEO never goes to jail.
And he has money enough for the fines, anyway.

Securing the border would take thousands of people....with guns.

Securing the workplace would require replacing the corrupt CEO.

Generally speaking....if you can't beat them... join them.
That's what the illegals want to do.

But when so many come north to do so, it overruns the opportunity they seek.

Last edited:

dust1n

Zindīq

;ding, ding, ding: You step up a countries face for years and years until the economy has been shamelessly ransacked by monopolists followed by poverty, whilst benefiting off of it the entire time for our own standard of living, and expect less than the people with any kind of education or wealth moves to American legally and the poor just get poorer and taken advantage of until they have no choice but to leave everything for money? I call double standards. I'm pretty convinced that the majority of Mexicans would have preferred to stay in Mexico, had they not been subject to labor exploitation decade after decade. I'm sure Texan companies buying oil from the Mexican Mafia after they steal it from the Mexican government probably doesn't help it either.

Fifth Texas oil company president charged in Pemex thefts | oil, company, 0in - Local - Brownsville Herald

Psst. Communist. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Seriously though.. that's a great solution, I've never thought of that before.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
We keep hearing, from John McCain and others, that the federal government must secure our borders.

Do you agree?

If you agree, how do you propose that we secure (a) our border with Mexico, (b) our border with Canada, and (c) our coastlines?

Why is your plan a good plan? How much will it cost?

Ultimately, I feel that we need to take a stand. Either we're going to allow people in or we won't. And it boils down to our laws. Do we want to stand by the laws we pass or are we willing to compromise.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
dust1n said:
Psst. Communist. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Seriously though.. that's a great solution, I've never thought of that before.

Finding themselves out of a job and without employment prospects would quickly achieve the popular goal of extirpating the illegal aliens, but I'd think twice before I'd label this a "solution."
Where this has actually happened the economy quickly collapsed and the good citizens demanded a return to 'normal'.

Be careful what you wish for.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Don't worry. Once the economy falls to a certain point, and unemployment rises to a certain point, people will no longer have a reason to sneak in here.

Maybe they're more concerned about people trying to sneak out(?)

Last edited:

dust1n

Zindīq
Finding themselves out of a job and without employment prospects would quickly achieve the popular goal of extirpating the illegal aliens, but I'd think twice before I'd label this a "solution."
Where this has actually happened the economy quickly collapsed and the good citizens demanded a return to 'normal'.

Be careful what you wish for.

Good point.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think the solution is to invade and occupy Bangladesh. Bangladesh has nothing to do with the US immigration problem, but then, Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11 when we invaded it. So, why worry whether Bangladesh has anything to do with solving the US immigration problem? Invade now and feel better tomorrow. Come on! We can kick their butts!

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Bangladesh is rich in online computer help professionals. If we could co-opt this industry the invasion would pay for itself.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Bangladesh is rich in online computer help professionals. If we could co-opt this industry the invasion would pay for itself.

Plus they will welcome our troops with flowers strewn in the streets. They always do.