• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Secular replacements for churches and dogmatic religions

Riders

So I'm trying to think of all the reasons and community needs that get taken care of by churches and good replacements.

The church does a lot for the community.

Teach beliefs systems, religion, activities for singles youth and social activities. Community get together for politics, support for the community.

Weddings funerals, baptisms births, celebrations, counseling , marriage classes and marriage counseling, family values, usually there is support for one lifestyle or another.

Its a good place to make business contacts get a job, charity and volunteer opportunities,give to nonprofit or raise money for charity, art and music

getting close to people in general, entertainment, holidays etc......

So there is secular counselors, for Atheists and non religious folks there is the Unitarian universalist church,
Secular singles and youth groups,

Judges for marriage , the Atheist churches, philosophy groups, secular political groups.
secular art and music secular entertainment art, but what about getting together with groups who don't drink and party , how easy is it to find secular but non partying groups and singles to socialize with?

I think there a big difference sometimes people think church is the only out for youths and singles because well hey you can not meet a nice guy at a bar.

Right now I'm sick after I get rid of my infection I have to get back onto my hernia and it may take 6 or 9 months to get into sergury . But after its said and done and I've lost weight there are some gaming stores gaming groups and also a few classes and activities at the library. I want to get back into rpgs Dand d. SO gaming is one place to meet men without partying these days.

There are museums and art showings and theatre too.
There are meet up .com groups who go to movies museums and such.

There are meditation and yoga groups too.

There are Unitarian minsters who would probably do funerals birth celebrations weddings and holiday get togethers.

I like secular charities and volunteer jobs and nonprofits. SPCA is a good place to give to, I want to go back to my library and do volunteer work in the future sometime. The library offer up classes and educational activities for kids, and have educational resources for adults who are illiterate and need help studying for college and getting a GED resources are there.

There's lots of all different kinds of books people learn to read and write at the library .

There are a lot of political groups these days who are secular too.

WHat else is there?

Riders

So here
s a link to Crowes collection of Asian art Museum I've taken a couple if meditation classes there they have Tai Chi and Yoga and art classes and even 1 or 2 festivals every year, id like to do some volunteer work for them and if some of their classes its a good way to meet people.

https://crowcollection.org/

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I like this thread, a lot. Sorry you haven't got more of a response. I might come back to this later, to see if I have any ideas. I've seen this discussed before, on blogs and in forums. Have you searched for ideas on the Web?

Riders

I like this thread, a lot. Sorry you haven't got more of a response. I might come back to this later, to see if I have any ideas. I've seen this discussed before, on blogs and in forums. Have you searched for ideas on the Web?

That's ok. I also think meetup.com groups which have all sorts of secular groups are good. But there are religious lectures that teach religious mythology classes too, some have lectures so you can apply the philosophy to your own group.There is also self help
For those of us with addiction who don't want to turn to self help groups that require a belief in God there is counseling and also group therapy.Also there is hypnosis.

If you go to your local UU church, they have social get togethers and parties too where people don't drink or do drugs.

That's what I use to like about my old church, you can meet people there without being in a religious situation or a bar. Also atheist groups have socials and what not too.

Some atheists use ritual as well instead of God for spirituality, you can go to Joseph campbell classes like I said if they're still around bur probably are some on mythology.

For me for over eating i dont like OA much but there are gyms and weight loss clubs and everything else for weight loss.

Reactions: Jim

Shad

Veteran Member
. But after its said and done and I've lost weight there are some gaming stores gaming groups and also a few classes and activities at the library. I want to get back into rpgs Dand d. SO gaming is one place to meet men without partying these days.

Good options in my view

There are museums and art showings and theatre too.
There are meet up .com groups who go to movies museums and such.

Take a look at your local universities and colleges for theater. A number around here put on free plays or cheap productions

WHat else is there?

Sports be it as a participant, supporter or fan. If you have children be it your own or related coaching/support is an easy way to transition back into a game. A lot of the parents run beer leagues in my experience. Alternatively a community center could host a number of sport leagues.

Riders

For alcoholics and drug addicts there is SOS instead of the 12 steps and other secular recovery programs that use cognitive behavioral therapy instead.

You can go to the 12 Steps today and be Atheist if you work it a certain way. I know of a few Atheists who have stayed Atheists in the program and I talk to them regular.

The 12 steps say you have to believe in a Power greater then yourself, Atheists say it does not have to be a higher power or God.

They use the group as a power greater then themselves, its a way of saying I'm powerless over this addiction without help from the group but its not a higher power.

They also claim science or nature sometimes not a s a literal god as I said something greater then them.

I think I'm going to go back to Unity church eventually. Some Atheists go there because they teach a belief in the higher God self, some choose to believe only in the Godself and some choose not to believe in God but they take back the main lesson of the story with them.

Unity teaches the bible but they do not teach it from a literal viewpoint and actual belief in Jesus as the Person Godhead or Trinity is not needed. They also tend to teach some new age in their beliefs and have meditation classes,which Im interested in.

So I think it would be good for my program. I had a distressful dark dream about relapsing the other day and I definitly want to start listening to Unity FM which has spiritual music and spiritual uplifting teachings on it.

Riders

SO I went out and socialized. It used to be that in Mesquite you had to go to church to have a good time. now we have 2 places that have games so. I finally went out and played games, board games with a group. Iy was 4 homosexuals, and those who are supportive of GLBTs. It was one woman, me and 6 guys. We did fine. I had a good time.

Riders

SO I went out and socialized. It used to be that in Mesquite you had to go to church to have a good time. now we have 2 places that have games so. I finally went out and played games, board games with a group. I was 4 homosexuals, and those who are supportive of GLBTs. It was one woman, me and 6 guys. We did fine. I had a good time.

So playing games is one place you can go without having to go to a church or a bar for fun.

Riders

So I found another good way for Atheists to socialize and express morality beliefs without being in a religious situation! Politics! I know my Libertarian party is meeting in a part of Dallas that is close to Mesquite! I am liberal but Libertarian too! Thanks God! Theres no churches outside Christian and Muslim out here so at least I can get some grown up conversation and chit chat about American morality without getting into religion yay!