• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Searching for "the one"

Ankou

Spiritually Lost
I have been thinking about meeting with knowledgeable people from different religions for quite some time now, and I figured this would be a good place to start. I want to know more about Wicca and was wondering if there was anyone here who would be willing to share some personal experience with me. The only Wiccan people I have ever met, were... odd to put it nicely. But I know there has to be, "normal" people who are not just claiming to be Wiccan because it's cool. I want to talk with people who really believe. I want to know about the Gods and Goddesses worshiped in this religion, more so than the practices and rituals, though anything you want to share would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I have been thinking about meeting with knowledgeable people from different religions for quite some time now, and I figured this would be a good place to start. I want to know more about Wicca and was wondering if there was anyone here who would be willing to share some personal experience with me. The only Wiccan people I have ever met, were... odd to put it nicely. But I know there has to be, "normal" people who are not just claiming to be Wiccan because it's cool. I want to talk with people who really believe. I want to know about the Gods and Goddesses worshiped in this religion, more so than the practices and rituals, though anything you want to share would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Well I'm not Wiccan anymore, but since nobody else seems to be biting, I'll step up. :)

Can you give me some more specific questions? Wicca is a very broad category of beliefs, and pretty much any God or Goddess you can think of can be included.

Ankou

Spiritually Lost
Thanks, I was starting to get discouraged. I'm not really sure what I want to know is the problem. I suppose, why do wiccans believe what they do? What makes them think that there are multiple gods and goddesses? Why do they believe in the spirit of the earth? Why do they believe in reincarnation? You said you are not wiccan any more, do you still believe these things, or did you become something else because you no longer believe?

Anyway, thanks for responding. I had read some of the other posts, and I figured some of the people posting sounded like they should be able to answer my questions, but I guess they are not on, or they feel it's not worth their time... oh well.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Thanks, I was starting to get discouraged.
No problem. We actually have quite a few neopagans on the site, I don't know why none of them are here... :shrug:

I'm not really sure what I want to know is the problem. I suppose, why do wiccans believe what they do?
For the same reasons anybody does. Because it makes sense to them, mostly. Maybe personal experience.

What makes them think that there are multiple gods and goddesses?
Why not? I'm not being flippant. Can you think of any reason monotheism is more likely?

Also, not all Wiccans are strict polytheists. I personally believed in a form of henotheism which holds that all the Gods and Goddesses were manifestations of a single entity.

Why do they believe in the spirit of the earth?
Speaking only for myself, I believe that both "life force" and consciousness are primal elements of reality, same as matter. All the universe is alive and conscious. The planet is a superorganism of which we are aspects.

Why do they believe in reincarnation?
Not all do. Again for myself, I believe that the divine seed of consciousness is immortal. (It is not the personality, however.) I believe that, like the atoms of my body, it will go on to take another form.

You said you are not wiccan any more, do you still believe these things, or did you become something else because you no longer believe?
My theology has developed to a point where I no longer feel that Wicca, or even neopaganism, is an honest description of my beliefs, broad as those categories are. However, the roots go deep. I still believe in the World Mother, magic, and myriad other things. I just believe in them for different reasons than I used to.

Anyway, thanks for responding. I had read some of the other posts, and I figured some of the people posting sounded like they should be able to answer my questions, but I guess they are not on, or they feel it's not worth their time... oh well.
I advise patience. I've gotten that feeling on certain threads before, only to have them take off later. :)

Draka

Wonder Woman
Thanks, I was starting to get discouraged. I'm not really sure what I want to know is the problem. I suppose, why do wiccans believe what they do?

For the same variety of reasons that people of other religions believe what they do.

What makes them think that there are multiple gods and goddesses?

There are some of us that believe that there are quite literally many different gods and some of us that believe that there are separate manifestations of different aspects of a Divine Source/Energy that handle different arenas of life. Either way, it allows for a more personal and specific approach to deity/ies. Instead of one elusive god that handles everything and can seem impersonal, we have many that you can call on like a protective uncle or nurturing aunt. Like family.

Why do they believe in the spirit of the earth?

I'd have to ask what you specifically mean by this. You mean Divine Source? Literally "Mother Earth"? They can be intertwined or completely seperate depending on the belief of the particular Wiccan.

Why do they believe in reincarnation?

In general, those who believe in reincarnation tend to believe that we have many lifetimes due to having much to learn. That we cannot honestly learn everything our spirit needs to learn in life in just one measely lifetime. There are a variety of lessons to be learned before our spirit advances enough to stop reincarnating. As to what happens when we have attained a certain level of enlightenment and wisdom, no one really knows for sure, but I, as well as others, believe that we re-merge with the Divine Source. The Whole we sparked off of to begin with.

I had read some of the other posts, and I figured some of the people posting sounded like they should be able to answer my questions, but I guess they are not on, or they feel it's not worth their time... oh well.

I haven't been on in quite some time. Was taking a break and having a baby.:D Glad to answer what I can though.

Ankou

Spiritually Lost
Thank you so much for answering. Congratulations on the Baby too!! I know I have more questions, I just can't think of what they might be. I had Mormon missionaries coming to my house on a regular basis not too long ago, and they always have so much to say, and I came up with tones of questions based on what they were saying... but coming up with questions outside of a conversation is a lot harder.

Dose anyone have any books they could recommend? I think if I had some good reading material, that could spark some questions in me. I feel like Wicca may or may not be the religion I am searching for, the only problem (besides my lack of ability to "believe" anything) is that I don't have anyone to talk to about it, therefore can not decide for sure, if it is indeed what I "believe" or not.

Thanks everyone who has read this, I know I must not be making much sense. This makes no sense in my head, so it's hard to get it across the way I want.

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress

Thanks!

First of all that was very very mature of you to not assume that all Wiccans are wierdos cuz ya met a few that were more eccentric than average. lol. Kudos.

Wicca is very very broad. It includes people who are both conservative and liberal, in all different flavors. The problem seems to be right now that Wicca is very hyped up, due to things like "Charmed." More conservative wiccans get highly ticked off at people who mix n match and play with wicca. Others see it as a personal path that you may do what you wish with. Some people through wicca only focus on the positive, good and light in everything. Some others, usually the conservatives, look down on this group of people as ignoring a crucial darker element of wicca. The more mature crowd doesn't look down on either mindset.

To be honest. You are just gonna have to jump in with all 5 feet and start reading everything you can get your hands on. I started really getting into researching Wicca, and I got thrown all over the place and learned more in 2 months than I think I have learned in years. It has probably been the most intersting few months of my life in a long long time.

Thanks, I was starting to get discouraged. I'm not really sure what I want to know is the problem. I suppose, why do wiccans believe what they do? What makes them think that there are multiple gods and goddesses? Why do they believe in the spirit of the earth? Why do they believe in reincarnation? You said you are not wiccan any more, do you still believe these things, or did you become something else because you no longer believe?

Well for starters, from what I have researched/learned, everyone began as pagans. There were three or so primary Gods/Goddessed in Sumaria/Babylonia/Mesopatamia er whatever (forgive my memory here, it's one of them). They were Enki, Enlil and Innana. Google Enki and you will find thier history and thier story. When Judaism and other stuff took hold they were demonized, and paganism was outlawed. That is why I believe in more than one God now. I researched this through many many sites, and followed these pagan Gods through history, and saw how they were made into supposed devils and demons. It all just kinda... clicked.

Spirit of the Earth? Trees grow and live and die right? I don't think it's too far fetched.

Reincarnation? What Draka said:p.

Thank you so much for answering. Congratulations on the Baby too!! I know I have more questions, I just can't think of what they might be. I had Mormon missionaries coming to my house on a regular basis not too long ago, and they always have so much to say, and I came up with tones of questions based on what they were saying... but coming up with questions outside of a conversation is a lot harder.
You are in good hands with those missionaries. I will say that. I LOVE the LDS church. I have a specific little problem with sin and the crucifixion and being saved that I won't go into, and that keeps me from staying a member with the LDS church, but only that. They are awsome.

Dose anyone have any books they could recommend? I think if I had some good reading material, that could spark some questions in me. I feel like Wicca may or may not be the religion I am searching for, the only problem (besides my lack of ability to "believe" anything) is that I don't have anyone to talk to about it, therefore can not decide for sure, if it is indeed what I "believe" or not.

Thanks everyone who has read this, I know I must not be making much sense. This makes no sense in my head, so it's hard to get it across the way I want.[/quote]

Um. This site is a little harsh, but it's where I started.
Why Wiccans Suck

The part of it on history is good. The reading recmmendation are good too. It also has a link here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20040805182014/www.whywiccanssuck.com/learn0.html
which seemed good.

Just remember to research the hell outa anything strange or seemingly insane you stumble upon, and you might end up realizing it's not as strange or insane as it seems.:p

Best of Luck to you.

double coven

Wicca Witch of the West
There are some crazies out there who would call themselves Wicca, but are really just loons.

If you are considering Wicca, here are some things you need to know:
you need to be prepared to be called a "satan worshiper" (I have, many many times), you need to know how to answer those people in a non-aggressive understanding way such as "Wicca is an earth based religion, we have no intent on harming others, we only seek to be intune with ourselves and nature." You also need to know that some people will be very interested in Wicca, so you shouldn't let the others let you down.
That's all I have for now, oh and, don't let people's stories of misunderstanding of Wicca discourage you from it, it's an amazing spiritual path that should be taken into consideration.
Good luck on finding the perfect religion for you.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
One thing I have learned about many things in this religion is that you don't need to search too hard. When the time is right, these things will come to you. This goes for the Gods/Goddesses, the support, the tools, and so many other things. It doesn't hurt to look, but when the search seems futile, back off because you are probably supposed to be looking for something else.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Though not specifically Wicca, I tend to be drawn towards Neo-paganism primarily due to the closeness I feel with nature. My interests in psychology, philosophy, and herbalism tend to work well with it.

There's a spirit I feel when I'm in the woods; the emotions invoked by particular symbols and experiences.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
Though not specifically Wicca, I tend to be drawn towards Neo-paganism primarily due to the closeness I feel with nature. My interests in psychology, philosophy, and herbalism tend to work well with it.

There's a spirit I feel when I'm in the woods; the emotions invoked by particular symbols and experiences.
My love for nature is what initially drew me to Wicca. The extra mile I could go for the God and Goddess appealed as well. Prior to that, I had been seeing the Christian way as a "shortcut" in so many ways. The more I thought about it, it just seemed right for me.