• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Searching for community and the UU 'bible'...

cmsrin

Curious
Hi Trey of Diamonds. Thank you for the suggestion. I actually have visited the Second Life UU churches. Granted it was during the week and nobody was there. :D

I find that Second Life in most other ways is a waste of my time, but perhaps I will check out a service.

Thanks again!

applewuud

As far as Jefferson's Bible, I have seen it referenced before and I believe I will add it to my list too.

Keep in mind that the "Jefferson Bible" is just an edit of the bible. Jefferson removed passages that he regarded as superstitious or contrary to science, e.g., miracles. It winds up being largely the sayings of Jesus, and as such, the religion OF Jesus as opposed to a religion ABOUT Jesus.

Unitarianism as a movement didn't exist for most of Jefferson's life; he was theologically one...but in Virginia he was a church unto himself, with an Episcopal priest as a friend.

cmsrin

Curious
Hi applewuud, thanks for this comment.

I actually considered buying this book, before I came to my senses and checked it out from the library. :p

I found it interesting, but not my cup of tea.

I have concluded that what I'm looking for doesn't exist....When I imagine the sort of book I want, it ends up being sort of a 'feel good' book, which includes the seven principles of UU as well as sermons on various things (organized by subject ;p), anecdotal stories about coping with life, inspirational quotations etc. A book that reminds me that everyone is dealing with tough stuff, something I can refer back to when I'm feeling out of sorts or when I need a pick me up. Something that reminds me that there are nice, kind, awesome people in the world, that things will get better (when things aren't going so well), and reminds me, and inspires me to be grateful (when things are going better). Perhaps I'll make my own, somehow. I don't know. :D

bicker

Unitarian Universalist
I have concluded that what I'm looking for doesn't exist....When I imagine the sort of book I want, it ends up being sort of a 'feel good' book, which includes the seven principles of UU as well as sermons on various things (organized by subject ;p)
That is indeed essentially what A Chosen Faith, is.

Timely.... Reverend Forrest Church, one of the co-authors of A Chosen Faith, passed away this past week.

cmsrin

Curious
Maybe it is...I read it back when I was first contemplating UU, and was intrigued by some of it. Maybe it deserves a new look.

keithnurse

Wowwww! Thanks, Trey, for the info. This is the first I've ever heard of Second Life. They even have gay bars in Second Life.