• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scooby-Doo's Velma offically a lesbian

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
No, it's like Gene Roddenberry and Star Trek having the first interracial kiss on television compared to floods of remakes and reboots and recasts suddenly popping up with female and minority casts. It's not like Sense 8 where many characters are LGBT, it's mindless pandering of picking up a VHS tape, painting a rainbow on it and putting a Bluray disc in the package.
I'd rather see more characters who actually are gay or trans or whatever than crap that's so uninspired and unmotivated for everything but the dollar that it reaches for the lowest fruit possible and pats itself on the shoulder for the effort.

I think I see the point. But, my thought here was that by taking a beloved character that had become an icon despite not necessarily being written as gay and retroactively giving her that label, it is providing folks with a positive icon where otherwise, I guess people must have assumed she was heterosexual, right?

In other words, why the hubbub unless the assumption was she was heterosexual? Even seeing it as a PC or profiteering move, shouldn't it not matter if the whole point was that a group of folks saw her as an icon in the first place and they didn't have to really change her character?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
When I was growing up, 90% of children's television was made in the US. It didn't represent me, a Brit, or my culture at all. It didn't look like where I lived, no-one talked with an accent I recognised, the school system wasn't the same, the words were often baffling, the Brits were often depicted as weird, posh, or villainous and a lot of the humour went over my head.

But I don't think it would be right for me to call for more rural Brits in US children's cartoons. They are cartoons. I watched them and enjoyed them.
As an Aussie this resonates with me. But, let’s be honest, the US culture dominates a lot of Western culture in general. So it’s really not the same thing as not having someone “who is nothing like you” like all the heterosexual characters that gay folks have to constantly watch, right?
I watched US, UK and Aussie produced shows as a kid. Resonated more with UK produced media than American because the culture is more similar, truth be told. But, for example, whenever I saw a mixed race person exploring both their cultures and the issues they may face because of that, it was like “omg! That person is just like me!! I’m not alone!!”
I feel like denying that to a gay kid is a bit mean :shrug:
I mean “gay coding” is a thing and has been thoroughly examined for decades at this point. Velma included. All that’s happening now is that these coded characters are starting to come out of the closet.
Since this is a kids show that is aimed for the generation younger than me, I could care less since outside of babysitting duty, I doubt I’ll watch it.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My only favorite gay cartoon character ....

Mine is Waylon Smithers.
R.c452db96ea4a41638a12d6c4921d9ef2

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
I heard dont know if true there an episode where Fred said he only allowed people he dates to call him Freddy. And that everyone in the Scooby gang has called him Freddy. What if the gang is polyamourous? This was a headcannon of someone else i heard.
I did not find the video that had the headcannon breaking it down. But i did find this post:
The Scooby-Doo Gang is Polyamorous - Fan Theory
It has these memes:
2scooby-doo-gang-poly-01.jpg

1scooby-doo-gang-poly-01.jpg

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
In other words, why the hubbub unless the assumption was she was heterosexual?
I didn't assume she was either. To my best recollection Scooby Doo didn't make them overtly anything, not like Fred or Barney in the Flintstones who both had a wife.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I thought about this post quite a bit because I respect your opinion, Quagmire, so I feel like I want to respond more adequately.

1. I seriously wasn't trying to twist words. I respect @Rival, one of my favorite posters. I hope my last response was sincere enough.

2. This is not a springboard for any kind of personal show. It is a serious problem, in my opinion, that representation of stigmatized minority groups is only just occurring, where the default sexuality has always been heterosexual. LGBTQ issues are personally serious to me.

3. I am sensitive. I am a freaking bleeding heart. I care about people and how I impact them.

So you know what else would be freaking cool? Not using personal attacks to make your point.
OK, sorry I went off in you the way I did. That was over the top.

But the sentiment behind it still stands and I'll explain as soon as I decide whether to post it here or send it to you privately.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
OK, sorry I went off in you the way I did. That was over the top.

But the sentiment behind it still stands and I'll explain as soon as I decide whether to post it here or send it to you privately.

That's fair, and thanks for the response. I am open to criticism and am willing to admit I may be erring in my arguments.