• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scientists use mathematical calculations to PROVE the existence of God

Reggie Miller

Two computer scientists say they proved that there is a holy supreme force after confirming the equations.

In 1978, mathematician Kurt Gödel died and left behind a long and complex theory based on modal logic.

Dr Gödel’s model uses mathematical equations that are extremely complicated, but the essence is that no greater power than God can be conceived, and if he or she is believed as a concept then he or she can exist in reality.

Discuss.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Two computer scientists say they proved that there is a holy supreme force after confirming the equations.

In 1978, mathematician Kurt Gödel died and left behind a long and complex theory based on modal logic.

Dr Gödel’s model uses mathematical equations that are extremely complicated, but the essence is that no greater power than God can be conceived, and if he or she is believed as a concept then he or she can exist in reality.

Discuss.
The teleological argument is fallacious nonsense whether or not you sprinkle a few invocations of Godel into it. Nothing new here of substance; it's still the same old teleological argument, relying on the same old mistakes in logic.

Reggie Miller

The teleological argument is fallacious nonsense whether or not you sprinkle a few invocations of Godel into it. Nothing new here of substance; it's still the same old teleological argument, relying on the same old mistakes in logic.

Yeah. In that respect it resembles atheism. ;)

Reggie Miller

Please demonstrate to me how to mathematically identify something as "holy".
I can't find out how to do it on the internet, or from your article.

You'll have to ask them. I don't need the article to believe in God and the math is way above my intelligence level.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Godel was upset and surprised by the success of his most famous theorem the Incompleteness theorem, and he wanted to prove the existence of God. He was unable to do so before his death, so this team has perhaps taken up where he left off.

If they were successful it is unfortunate for Christianity which is not compatible with a provable God. God must ever be beyond human imagination or things do not work properly. Have they somehow named or described God with a formula? If so they have disproved at least one of the qualities attributed to God called the 'Ineffable' quality and in doing so have redefined or changed or disproved God somehow. It is ironic.

Reggie Miller

Godel was upset and surprised by the success of his most famous theorem the Incompleteness theorem, and he wanted to prove the existence of God. He was unable to do so before his death, so this team has perhaps taken up where he left off.

If they were successful it is unfortunate for Christianity which is not compatible with a provable God. God must ever be beyond human imagination or things do not work properly. Have they somehow named or described God with a formula? If so they have disproved at least one of the qualities attributed to God called the 'Ineffable' quality and in doing so have redefined or changed or disproved God somehow. It is ironic.

The ineffable cannot be proven to exist? Please elaborate.

Laika

Premium Member

Discuss.

..and at last the nightmare of soviet physicists has come true. Science "discovers" god. Lol. :D

Mathamatics-in itself- proves nothing as its value is as a way of explaining objective reality. The power of mathamatics lies in how observations of planetary bodies could be accurately predicted with newtonian mechanics. This was verifiable and observable.

The fact that 2+2=4 in logic does not mean the logic is necessarily objectively true. What exactly does "2" or "4" correspond to? Are they real or are they merely abstract methods of reasoning with a loose relationship to reality? These problems of the limitations of mathamatical and abstract reasoning are especially relevant to the theoretical physics of today of making empirically verifiable observations at the extremes of measurements at the level of cosmology and quantum mechanics.

I would say the maths is only valid as a scientific method if it corresponds to something observable. What's "real" is real because we can observe it. Otherwise it is just a very elegant equation.

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.
You'll have to ask them. I don't need the article to believe in God and the math is way above my intelligence level.

What the -

You post an argument for the existence of god that you don't yourself don't understand?

You can cut through the cognative dissonance with a knife.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate

Discuss.

I'd say we can't prove God objectively, we have to find him for ourselves, and receive personal proof, I think that is by his design and the only way it can work

But yes, I think the math is about as close as it comes to objective proof

When atheists are forced to resort to an imaginery infinite probability machine (multiverse) to try to account for creation without creativity... that's essentially conceding defeat by the math also

HonestJoe

No they didn’t. They had no interest in proving the existence of anything, only in demonstrating the power of computers to perform complex calculations in formal logic very quickly. I suspect they used Gödel’s proof because it is highly disputed and therefore will attract a little more attention to their work. Their efforts support the validity of the internal logic of the proof (though that’s been address manually already) but that in itself doesn’t support the validity of the conclusion.

I’d also no recommend you get your science news (or any other news for that matter) from the Daily Express. :)

leibowde84

Veteran Member

Discuss.
This is merely the flawed teleological argument.

Reggie Miller

No they didn’t. They had no interest in proving the existence of anything, only in demonstrating the power of computers to perform complex calculations in formal logic very quickly. I suspect they used Gödel’s proof because it is highly disputed and therefore will attract a little more attention to their work. Their efforts support the validity of the internal logic of the proof (though that’s been address manually already) but that in itself doesn’t support the validity of the conclusion.

I’d also no recommend you get your science news (or any other news for that matter) from the Daily Express. :)

I didn't write the article, dude, I just quoted from it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Discuss.
Godel's incompleteness theorem has been employed to try to prove this before.
The fundamental problem?
The premises of the theorem don't apply to our much more complicated universe.

It's been many years since this "proof" has reared its head, so I don't remember the details.
But consider this....
Mathematics is a technique to model things.
Creating a model of something doesn't force that something to behave according to the model.