• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scientists raise fish on land. Evolution stronger than ever. Sorry YEC's, you just lost.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
You want evidence of 'evolution' as if it is a single thing? You want it to occur in a natural environment, rather than a contrived one, and you want it to be convincing.

Easy done...I've set up a camera in my backyard. It's gonna take a little while for the results to come in though...

:shrug:

The rest of us are making do with contrived scientific experiments meant to test various aspects of evolutionary theories in manners which provide results in a somewhat timely fashion.

But regardless, what sort of evidence are you looking for? Evidence of speciation that occurred naturally and was not subject to human interference, but only observation?

Nah I'm good. Not looking for a mountain of evidence, just bringing up the fact that the OP statement was an overreach.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Nah I'm good. Not looking for a mountain of evidence, just bringing up the fact that the OP statement was an overreach.

Fair enough.
*sighs*
I remember back in the old days, there'd be a thousand people in here telling us to produce a croco-duck. Or ask how come there's still monkeys if they supposedly evolved into humans.

Can someone demand something ridiculous? Just for old-time sake?

Thruve

Sheppard for the Die Hard
Forget ur article, the video about plants/reality underneath it is so much more entertaining lol

Last edited:

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Yawn. It isn't 'moving the goalposts', there never were goalposts, just the need for evidence. Wishful thinking on your part that it's been provided.

Except it has to the point its fact. It is perverse to continue to deny it. To challenge is fine but just realize that unless you have a powerful argument it will get crushed under the sheer amount of evidence in favor.

Either you are ignorant of the evidence or have a bias that prevents you from accepting evolution no matter how much evidence is amassed.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Except it has to the point its fact. It is perverse to continue to deny it. To challenge is fine but just realize that unless you have a powerful argument it will get crushed under the sheer amount of evidence in favor.

Either you are ignorant of the evidence or have a bias that prevents you from accepting evolution no matter how much evidence is amassed.

Look on the bright side, the RCC officially accepts evolution theory now.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Roman catholic church.

They have been pretty neutral for a while. I don't remember exactly when it was that they fully accepted it but the one good thin for the RCC is that they trend towards the more reasonable after science amounts enough evidence.
Heliocentric universe, spherical earth and now evolution.

Castaigne

The Inquisitor
Actually it doesn't, because it's artificial. Artificial methods to prove adaptive change in the evolutionary past are meaningless.

Then all one needs to do is point to the Lenski experiments and the argument becomes settled.

Backtracking and goalpoast moving. Nothing more. A few decades ago there was a huge argument that adaptation would never cause speciation. Now we have proved speciation with small organisms with short life cycles. Suddenly thats not good enough. The definition of "kind" now means anything remotely similar and no matter if its a different species its still of the same "kind".

Oh God, baraminology, really? Talk about a pseudo-science. That'll drive one crackers.

Etritonakin

Absolutely amazing experiment. Details here....

Scientists raised these fish to walk on land | The Verge

(genetics newb here, by the way)

It will be interesting to see whether those changes will eventually be passed on.

Sharks around the Bikini Atoll have defects/mutations which were passed on to offspring -but this was due to unnaturally messing up their genes.

If the described changes due to environment alone could be observed to be passed on to offspring, I would then have to say....

cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool :cool:

The persistence factor is also interesting. If such things were passed on, the number of generations it might take could be very telling. How might duration be recorded and passed on -even if changes were not immediate (which seems should be necessary)? Genetic memory -if such a thing exists -I'unno -would essentially be using duration of environmental factors as criteria for making changes permanent.
I wonder if changes based on environmental factors would have a set or variable rate -and what would determine duration and rate?

"It seems we'll be on land for a while, so we'll keep these bones" -said DNA :shrug:

Should be interesting.