• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scientists continue to work on abiogenesis

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
OK, I'm probably just revealing my ignorance, but since when was the sun an inadequate source of energy?

Runlikethewind

Monk in Training
OK, I'm probably just revealing my ignorance, but since when was the sun an inadequate source of energy?
There looking at chemical energy within the cells of living organisms. Most (if not all) living organisms on earth use the ATP enzyme like a rechargeable battery to run cell operations (as I understand it, I'm no biochemist). The problem for abiogenesis is to find a method by which cells could perform this function before the emergence of ATP. As the article puts it "You need enzymes to make ATP, and you need ATP to make enzymes" so if life emerged chemically there must have been some means of transporting energy in these early cells that did not rely on ATP.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
There looking at chemical energy within the cells of living organisms. Most (if not all) living organisms on earth use the ATP enzyme like a rechargeable battery to run cell operations (as I understand it, I'm no biochemist). The problem for abiogenesis is to find a method by which cells could perform this function before the emergence of ATP. As the article puts it "You need enzymes to make ATP, and you need ATP to make enzymes" so if life emerged chemically there must have been some means of transporting energy in these early cells that did not rely on ATP.
Ah, thank you.