• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Science, why we should believe it?

serioja7

One of my teacher said once in my Biology class "What I said to you today tomorrow may not be true". In other words since change so much, so is science trustworthy ?

The Neo Nerd

Yes.

The thing your teacher demonstrated is the strength of the scientific method.

It is self correcting. If something is found to be wrong then the scientific method demands that it no longer be accepted. This is achieved primarily through the process of peer review.

Can you imagine what kind of shape we would be in if science did not work this way.

We'd still be treating illnesses with blood letting.
We'd still be trying to exorcise the demons out of people with epilepsy.
We'd still be prescribing cocaine to people with mental illnesses

Of course certain groups or individuals will hold on to science that is incorrect, but that is a fault of the individuals not the scientific method.

serioja7

The steps of the scientific method are to:
Ask a Question
Do Background Research
Construct a Hypothesis
Test Your Hypothesis by Doing an Experiment
Analyze Your Data and Draw a Conclusion
Communicate Your Results
Here is the process,
so i we take for example "higher intelligence create the world", we can tasted using scientific method, tell me what that is different form religion?

serioja7

for example using science or scientific method, scientists try to prove that the what is in the universe came for a small dot, it is possible using the same method to prove that God (higher intelligence) created the universe ?

bezuidenhout

I think that, since science is basically the collective human knowledge, it is intrinsically fallable. It would be foolish to trust in it absolutely. The beauty of science, however, is that it takes this fallability into consideration; changing as human ideas do.
The problem arises when people regard our knowledge as absolute. Science itself is supposed to be a guard against rigid, unquestioning thought, it should be regarded as a guideline for testing your thoughts on life and eveything that it encompasses.
If science were meant to be trusted, it would never change, it would become redundant. Basically, if we start trusting our knowledge absolutely, it becomes a religion.

So, no, science should not be trusted, because science is designed to be doubted.

serioja7

Good point, therefore, I believe science should not exclude the possibility that universe was created, otherwise it become an absolute knowledge - so it become a religion.

serioja7

when you investigate something you don't draw conclusion, you just try to find the answer, science already conclude the non existence of "Higher Intelligence", so I think actually it does>

The Neo Nerd

for example using science or scientific method, scientists try to prove that the what is in the universe came for a small dot, it is possible using the same method to prove that God (higher intelligence) created the universe ?

How would scientists go about proving god?

The Neo Nerd

when you investigate something you don't draw conclusion, you just try to find the answer, science already conclude the non existence of "Higher Intelligence", so I think actually it does>

Hahahaha the whole "they just don't want to believe" argument.

It fails because you are just making assumptions to suit your argument. Perhaps if you could prove it then that would be different, but you can't.

Bogg

I don't think science has concuded that has it? Maybe it has concluded that there is not a "Higher Entity" but it does open to the possibility of higher intelligent races in the universe.

Student of X

Paradigm Shifter
...so is science trustworthy ?

No. Science kinda sucks.

Has Modern Science Become Dysfunctional?

WASHINGTON, DC –March 27, 2012 -- The recent explosion in the number of retractions in scientific journals is just the tip of the iceberg and a symptom of a greater dysfunction that has been evolving the world of biomedical research say the editors-in-chief of two prominent journals in a presentation before a committee of the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) today.

“Incentives have evolved over the decades to encourage some behaviors that are detrimental to good science,” says Ferric Fang, editor-in-chief of the journal Infection and Immunity, a publication of the American Society for Microbiology (ASM), who is speaking today at the meeting of the Committee of Science, Technology, and Law of the NAS along with Arturo Casadevall, editor-in-chief of mBio®,the ASM’s online, open-access journal.

In the past decade the number of retraction notices for scientific journals has increased more than 10-fold while the number of journals articles published has only increased by 44%. While retractions still represent a very small percentage of the total, the increase is still disturbing because it undermines society’s confidence in scientific results and on public policy decisions that are based on those results, says Casadevall. Some of the retractions are due to simple error but many are a result of misconduct including falsification of data and plagiarism.

More concerning, say the editors, is that...

[...]

Last edited:

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
No. Science kinda sucks. But hey, it's not sciences fault. It's a symptom of a bigger suckiness.

Has Modern Science Become Dysfunctional?

WASHINGTON, DC –March 27, 2012 -- The recent explosion in the number of retractions in scientific journals is just the tip of the iceberg and a symptom of a greater dysfunction that has been evolving the world of biomedical research say the editors-in-chief of two prominent journals in a presentation before a committee of the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) today.

“Incentives have evolved over the decades to encourage some behaviors that are detrimental to good science,” says Ferric Fang, editor-in-chief of the journal Infection and Immunity, a publication of the American Society for Microbiology (ASM), who is speaking today at the meeting of the Committee of Science, Technology, and Law of the NAS along with Arturo Casadevall, editor-in-chief of mBio®,the ASM’s online, open-access journal.

In the past decade the number of retraction notices for scientific journals has increased more than 10-fold while the number of journals articles published has only increased by 44%. While retractions still represent a very small percentage of the total, the increase is still disturbing because it undermines society’s confidence in scientific results and on public policy decisions that are based on those results, says Casadevall. Some of the retractions are due to simple error but many are a result of misconduct including falsification of data and plagiarism.

More concerning, say the editors, is that...

[...]
Nothing wrong with science there. The problem is with the people using it.

Student of X

Paradigm Shifter
People are often lousy practitioners of the scientific method.
But until we train robots to do it for us, "people" is all we gots.
(I'm betting that robots will be screw-ups too.)

People are also often lousy practitioners of religion. It's a good thing that all the scientism thralls realize that and are thus gracious toward religion and forgiving toward religious people.

...oh wait.