• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Science Stole My Religion"

Escéptico

All I'm saying is that the facts don't support either position.
So the fact that the type of design in living things is exactly what we'd expect to see from a process with no purpose or foresight doesn't support the position that evolution is a process with no purpose or foresight?

Exacly what facts would support either position, then?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Escéptico;1101742 said:
So the fact that the type of design in living things is exactly what we'd expect to see from a process with no purpose or foresight doesn't support the position that evolution is a process with no purpose or foresight?

Exacly what facts would support either position, then?
How would the process look different if there was purpose and foresight?

A rquest for clarification: Do you wish me to discuss my own views, or continue to try and be generic? Because we're approaching the limts of my ability to do the latter.

Escéptico

A rquest for clarification: Do you wish me to discuss my own views, or continue to try and be generic? Because we're approaching the limts of my ability to do the latter.
You responded to one of my posts, remember? I never placed any demands on you in the first place. If you'd like to deliver your own take on the issue, feel free to do so. If you're not getting anything out of this dialogue, don't bother continuing it.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Escéptico;1101755 said:
You responded to one of my posts, remember? I never placed any demands on you in the first place. If you'd like to deliver your own take on the issue, feel free to do so. If you're not getting anything out of this dialogue, don't bother continuing it.
No, you didn't. But the questions haven't been limited to my views, and as I said, I'm starting to have trouble staying generic. Since you don't mind, I'll switch to my own views. BTW, I was making an effort to be polite. It's too bad you couldn't return the favor.

Now, in my own view, there is purpose, but no foresight, so your last question is rather irrelevant. Do you have another, or would you like to end the conversation?

Rolling_Stone

People are easy to impress. Given a new cover and bold print with illustrations, the same message will rally the troops and, probably, convert others who are either disillusioned or bored with the familiar. Beneath the shiny veneer, though, it's the same superficiality, sentiment, evasiveness, misinformation, ignoring of information and the same refusal to follow ideas to their logical conclusion.

Popular books on atheism, Escéptico and the recent PBS program by atheists and about atheism are good examples. When challenged, rather than addressing the challenge, the challenger is dismissed as "delusional" or "just because" is the sufficient explanation of things like the ordered universe and the emergence of consciousness; the old "God in the gaps" is pulled out of the hat as though it explains people's belief in something they can neither fathom or deny.

Does science steal people's religion? Religion is the pursuit of values. Its first stirrings are likely to have been in response to self-preservation and fear, values not much higher than beasts. But it evolved. The God of the Old Testament and the God of the New Testament were thought by some to be entirely different Gods so dramatic the difference. The pursuit of values shifted from "thou shalt not," an entirely negative message, to "thou shalt," a message of positive goodness in pursuit of a Supreme Ideal called "God."

Atheism denies God, secularism ignores God or seeks to take God's place as the Supreme Ideal. For them, the pursuit of values is groundless sentiment that must resort to politics and power in order to advance their values (or the lack thereof). If science steals a person’s religion, it wasn’t religion it stole, but a body of ideas.

crystalonyx

God is not mine, i am God's.
God is not created.

It's just as easy to say that matter and energy have existed forever, which most current multiverse models now predict. So no creator god is needed. Since the universe is chaotic, a personal god is of necessity ruled out, so poof, no god exists.