• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Science and the Bible?

Alone

Banned by request
1st Timothy 6
20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
Obviously the Bible is not against the word "science", that being said how does the Bible and science relate? And what does the scripture mean by saying science falsely so called:?

nPeace

Veteran Member
1st Timothy 6
20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
Obviously the Bible is not against the word "science", that being said how does the Bible and science relate? And what does the scripture mean by saying science falsely so called:?
Interesting. Never saw that word in the Bible.
Which modern translation of the Bible are you quoting from?

nPeace

Veteran Member
KJV 1611.
Oh wow. It's actually in the KJV 1611.
Never saw that in my life. Thanks.
In that case, it means what it says. It shows that Christians were given warning to not be swayed by falsely called Knowledge / science, which would be in opposition to the true knowledge of the Christ.

Apparently, this falsely called science probably started with some Greek scientists, and continues in our day.
Timothy was warned to guard what was entrusted to him ( Timothy 3:15-17), so as not to be misled, because the next verse shows how some would be.
(1 Timothy 6:21) By making a show of such knowledge, some have deviated from the faith.. . .

Nice thought.
True, the Bible apparently makes a distinction between science (true science) and "science" (falsely called).
That's why we need to use commonsense, and be anchored in the truth of Jesus Christ.
That way, when some fall away to unsupported theories claimed to be scientific facts, we won't fall away with them.

Alone

Banned by request
In that case, it means what it says. It shows that Christians were given warning to not be swayed by falsely called Knowledge / science, which would be in opposition to the true knowledge of the Christ.

Apparently, this falsely called science probably started with some Greek scientists, and continues in our day.
Timothy was warned to guard what was entrusted to him ( Timothy 3:15-17), so as not to be misled, because the next verse shows how some would be.
(1 Timothy 6:21) By making a show of such knowledge, some have deviated from the faith.. . .

Nice thought.
True, the Bible apparently makes a distinction between science (true science) and "science" (falsely called).
That's why we need to use commonsense, and be anchored in the truth of Jesus Christ.
That way, when some fall away to unsupported theories claimed to be scientific facts, we won't fall away with them.
Yeah the word science is also used in The book of Daniel I could get the exact verse if you needed it? so this leads me to wonder if the Bible and science can coexist without contradicting one another and how that would look in a positive applicable sence?

Alone

Banned by request
Npaece; said
Fall away
to unsupported theories claimed to be scientific facts,
Wandering peacefully; said,
fall away just from discovering or studying various sciences?
Are these two statements the same?

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
1st Timothy 6
Well Christians have gotten a lot of nobel prizes because they believe they should submit to science as part of their belief in Christ.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Do people actually fall away just from discovering or studying various sciences? That seems fairly weak minded.
Yeah, it does. The Bible, nor I never said that. What weak mind did?

However, just like religious teachings, there is good and bad, there is good knowledge and bad.
It's not the fields of science study that is bad, but the ideas that are claimed to be science but have not been demonstrated to be, that are bad.
Everything has a good and bad side... even humans.

Alone

Banned by request
Sometimes I wonder if our language and comprehension skills are the reason why we have a lack of communication? I will admit that I suffer from the comprehension side of it LOL!!!!

nPeace

Veteran Member
Npaece; said
Fall away
to unsupported theories claimed to be scientific facts,
Wandering peacefully; said,
fall away just from discovering or studying various sciences?
Are these two statements the same?
You are quite "sharp". That's a compliment. Good observation.
Sometimes I wonder if I wrote something other than what I actually wrote.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Sometimes I wonder if our language and comprehension skills are the reason why we have a lack of communication? I will admit that I suffer from the comprehension side of it LOL!!!!
Yup. Listening is an art.
Sometimes we hear things due to focusing our mind on a word or two, rather than the overall sentence(s) - like seeing the tree, rather than the forest.

Alone

Banned by request
You are quite "sharp". That's a compliment. Good observation.
Sometimes I wonder if I wrote something other than what I actually wrote.
Yeah I haven't been here very long but the main thing I have noticed, even for myself included, is that what we want to say and what we mean to say may or may not be different oh, and to take it a step further the way it is interpreted may or may not be the way we meant it, to me that makes it very hard to have a discussion that would result in a meaningful resolution?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
1st Timothy 6
The word "science" is a poor translation. The scientific method and what we call science today began roughly at the time of Galileo.

Jeremiah Ames

Yeah, it does. The Bible, nor I never said that. What weak mind did?

However, just like religious teachings, there is good and bad, there is good knowledge and bad.
It's not the fields of science study that is bad, but the ideas that are claimed to be science but have not been demonstrated to be, that are bad.
Everything has a good and bad side... even humans.

Do people have a good side? Does that mean that people are good?

nPeace

Veteran Member
Yeah I haven't been here very long but the main thing I have noticed, even for myself included, is that what we want to say and what we mean to say may or may not be different oh, and to take it a step further the way it is interpreted may or may not be the way we meant it, to me that makes it very hard to have a discussion that would result in a meaningful resolution?
Well I was just joking really. I usually double check what I wrote, to make sure I am hearing what I wrote. That's one way to sync your thoughts with your words.
We can't do anything about how persons read it though, and yes, that can be a challenge.

leov

Nice thought.
Misuse of Gnosis. Example in Rom 1.