• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Satanism

vanquisher91

I am a spiritual Satanist, and believe in Satan as a real being and not as an archtype or metaphor. I have read some things from various members from the Church of Satan and there claims that those who worship Satan as a real being are not real Satanists. I am confused at these claims. How are we not Satanists and they are, when they do not even believe Satan as a real being and God? In my opinion, the church of Satan and it's members are more along the lines of anti-christs and use the name Satanism because it opposes christianity. Correct me if I am wrong on this.

Ðanisty

First of all, the CoS isn't what it used to be. Things have just changed since LaVey died. I've noticed a strong elitist attitude from a lot of CoS members and I'm not sure why really. LaVey made it pretty clear that he chose Satanism because it got people's attention and we all know that even negative publicity is good. This isn't really a secret. I was a LaVeyan Satanist for several years and there are a lot of ideas in the Satanic Bible that I still agree with. I don't have a problem with modern Satanism in general because it does use Satan as an archetype. However, I have a big problem with any Satanist (or any person really) who claims their way to do things is the only way.

The reason I left the CoS is because after 6 years of being a modern Satanist, I realized two things. The first and most important thing is that I identify more closely with Lucifer than Satan. The second important discovery that I made was that I'm not an atheist. I just can't believe that there is nothing. I felt that these were important issues...important enough that I sought out something knew and actually, I didn't find anything. I began, at that point, creating my own path. Trust me when I say this is quite time consuming and takes a lot of study. I decided for myself that I was a Luciferian (I made the word up, actually). It wasn't until 2 years later that I finally ran into other people who had done the same thing I had done. They created their own Luciferian path. I have found that most people who claim the Luciferian name have done it on their own and that is why we are a pretty disconnected group.

By being a spiritual Satanist, you are at least to some extent, having to create your own path. You have to create your own bond with Satan and that is a very personal thing. Nobody else has any right to tell you that you are not a Satanist. You and Satan know better. That is all that is truly important. ;)

vanquisher91

I am confused at the difference between Lucifer and Satan, are they not the same person? There name come from different time periods but I was allways under the impression that they were one in the same.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
vanquisher91 said:
I am confused at the difference between Lucifer and Satan, are they not the same person? There name come from different time periods but I was allways under the impression that they were one in the same.
They are whoever you believe they are.

However, Satan is mentioned only a few times in the bible. Literally his name means Adversary, as i'm sure you already know. The Adversary was a position created and appointed by God and may have been held by more than one entity. Its role was to be the opposite of God, someone for God to be compared with. The Adversary would carry out some evil act and God would put it right, thereby showing how good God actually is.:rolleyes:

Lucifer (apparently) was originally a Roman God, his name means light-bearer and Lucifer was the original name for the planet Venus, before it was renamed in said Goddess's honor. He personified the quest for light, he was a force for good.
See here, third paragraph for full story = http://www.castleofspirits.com/origindevils.html

Incidently, you know that Lucifer was identified with the morning star (Venus), but so was Jesus - what does that tell you?

KirbyFan101

Resident Ball of Fluff
Ðanisty said:
First of all, the CoS isn't what it used to be. Things have just changed since LaVey died. I've noticed a strong elitist attitude from a lot of CoS members and I'm not sure why really. LaVey made it pretty clear that he chose Satanism because it got people's attention and we all know that even negative publicity is good. This isn't really a secret. I was a LaVeyan Satanist for several years and there are a lot of ideas in the Satanic Bible that I still agree with. I don't have a problem with modern Satanism in general because it does use Satan as an archetype. However, I have a big problem with any Satanist (or any person really) who claims their way to do things is the only way.

The reason I left the CoS is because after 6 years of being a modern Satanist, I realized two things. The first and most important thing is that I identify more closely with Lucifer than Satan. The second important discovery that I made was that I'm not an atheist. I just can't believe that there is nothing. I felt that these were important issues...important enough that I sought out something knew and actually, I didn't find anything. I began, at that point, creating my own path. Trust me when I say this is quite time consuming and takes a lot of study. I decided for myself that I was a Luciferian (I made the word up, actually). It wasn't until 2 years later that I finally ran into other people who had done the same thing I had done. They created their own Luciferian path. I have found that most people who claim the Luciferian name have done it on their own and that is why we are a pretty disconnected group.

By being a spiritual Satanist, you are at least to some extent, having to create your own path. You have to create your own bond with Satan and that is a very personal thing. Nobody else has any right to tell you that you are not a Satanist. You and Satan know better. That is all that is truly important. ;)
Satanists see themselves as having a better religion than everyone else, just because they have the balls to say it out loud doesn't mean they are any worse than any other religions members. The agression and, as you put it, "elitism" comes from societies suspressions, misunderstandings, stereotypes and hatred towards to the only religion that preaches indulgence instead of abstinence.

Considering LaVey himself stated Satanism was used to instill shock, you pointing it out isn't telling any informed person anything other than what they already know. Every religion has its share of "bad" members, but Satanism does require an examination to join, so the ratio of those who understand to those who don't should be considerably better. Another possible reason for the "elitism".

To the OP: Satanism is understoof as Athiestic, and rightly so. Because "Thiestic" and Athiestic Satanism are so VASTLY different, heading them under the same name seems foolish. If you believe in a literal Satan, and want to worship him for whatever reason, call it whatever you will, but calling yourself a "Satanist" is just adding further confusion to an already misunderstoofd religion.

Ðanisty

KirbyFan101 said:
Satanists see themselves as having a better religion than everyone else, just because they have the balls to say it out loud doesn't mean they are any worse than any other religions members. The agression and, as you put it, "elitism" comes from societies suspressions, misunderstandings, stereotypes and hatred towards to the only religion that preaches indulgence instead of abstinence.
First and foremost, you don't need to speak to me as if I'm an outsider looking in. If you read what I wrote, then you already know I spent several years as a Satanist. I have never said Satanism is worse than any other religion, nor have I got any complaints with indulgence over abstinance. I don't even have any complaints about Satanism. If you think though that agression or elitism is going to help society understand you any better, then you may as well be blind-folded.

Considering LaVey himself stated Satanism was used to instill shock, you pointing it out isn't telling any informed person anything other than what they already know. Every religion has its share of "bad" members, but Satanism does require an examination to join, so the ratio of those who understand to those who don't should be considerably better. Another possible reason for the "elitism".
Just because you are informed doesn't mean everyone else is informed. I offered the information to any possible reader. You just said that Satanism was misunderstood and stereotyped, yet you are complaining about someone sharing information? As for examinations to join...yes, that's all good and well, I suppose, but for anyone who's ever actually visited the CoS forums, it's obvious that the members there simply repeat what they have been told vs. actually formulating their own ideas and opinions. Now, it is certainly possible that the "bad" members of the CoS are the ones that go online and post, but that doesn't help your cause.

To the OP: Satanism is understoof as Athiestic, and rightly so. Because "Thiestic" and Athiestic Satanism are so VASTLY different, heading them under the same name seems foolish. If you believe in a literal Satan, and want to worship him for whatever reason, call it whatever you will, but calling yourself a "Satanist" is just adding further confusion to an already misunderstoofd religion.
A misunderstood religion that is only confusing because Anton LaVey chose to use a name which already held another meaning. It is the modern Satanists that are confusing the issue since they are the ones whose practices fall outside of what is commonly regarded as Satanic. Regardless, any person who identifies with Satan, whether theistically or atheistically, has a logical claim to the very broad title of Satanist. The sooner modern Satanists accept that they are merely one denomination under the all-encompassing definition of Satanism, the better it will be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditional_Satanism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Satanism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_Satanism

SCIRLIN

Anton Lavey was a atheist and not a satanist. He used the name satan to get attention from people. The bible of anton lavey is not from Satan. BTW Anton Lavey was JEWISH!

Dr. Nosophoros

The COS was never and never will be the "measuring stick" of what is "satanic" or not , nor will any other body of thought.