• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Satan: A Child of God?

logician

Becky, even I'm going to have to call you out on this one. Your post gives credibility to maddy's frequent claim that you post just to argue with him. I think it's a perfectly valid quote. Basically, it's the same as one of my favorite quotes from City of Angels. Meg Ryan tells Nick Cage she doesn't "believe in that," to which he said, "Just because you don't believe in something doesn't mean it's not true."

Actually, the existence of anything should not be based upon someone's or some group's belief in it, it should stand on its own merit.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Satan was a creation by God meant for good and designed to lead his hierarchy of angels. His arrongance against the might and will of God lead to him being cast from heaven where he started to build an army with the sole purpose of vengeance against his creator.
Okay, so he was "a creation by God." Was he a child of God?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
There is no biblical basis for Satan being anything other than an angel.
So angels and children of God are mutually exclusive beings? I'm just wondering whether the Bible actually explains what angels are. I've always thought of them as heavenly messengers, but I don't see any reason why they could not also be children of God. Based on the recorded appearances of angels in the Bible, they do appear to have a human form.

FFH

Veteran Member
So angels and children of God are mutually exclusive beings? I'm just wondering whether the Bible actually explains what angels are. I've always thought of them as heavenly messengers, but I don't see any reason why they could not also be children of God. Based on the recorded appearances of angels in the Bible, they do appear to have a human form.
Like I said before it's a loose term.

Angel Moroni (Child of God)
Satan and his angels (Son's of Hell) as are the Son's of Perdition

An angel is nothing more than a spirit or a resurrected being.

Satan is an angel, but a fallen one of course, and although he is a literal spirit child (the offspring) of God, he is now a son of hell and should be referred to that way.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Satan ~ Fear, Hate, Despair
God ~ Faith, Love, Hope

God does not use fear tactics, Satan does, yet we are commanded to "fear God" and "work out our own salvation with fear and trembling". See this link: Fear

2 Timothy 1: 7
[SIZE=-1]God hath not given us the spirit of fear, [/SIZE]but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Exactly, though we are commanded to fear, he does not use scare tactics,

in all honesty, only the wicked have reason to fear. the righteous have not reason to fear but to rejoice.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
I posted the scripture in another thread but i think it also applies here as to help peopel understand the LDS view of the nature of Satan.

23 For we saw him, even on the right hand of God; and we heard the voice bearing record that he is the Only Begotten of the Father— 24 That by him, and through him, and of him, the worlds are and were created, and the inhabitants thereof are begotten sons and daughters unto God.

25 And this we saw also, and bear record, that an angel of God who was in authority in the presence of God, who rebelled against the Only Begotten Son whom the Father loved and who was in the bosom of the Father, was thrust down from the presence of God and the Son,

26 And was called Perdition, for the heavens wept over him—he was Lucifer, a son of the morning.

27 And we beheld, and lo, he is fallen! is fallen, even a son of the morning!

28 And while we were yet in the Spirit, the Lord commanded us that we should write the vision; for we beheld Satan, that old serpent, even the devil, who rebelled against God, and sought to take the kingdom of our God and his Christ—

29 Wherefore, he maketh war with the saints of God, and encompasseth them round about.

30 And we saw a vision of the sufferings of those with whom he made war and overcame, for thus came the voice of the Lord unto us:

31 Thus saith the Lord concerning all those who know my power, and have been made partakers thereof, and suffered themselves through the power of the devil to be overcome, and to deny the truth and defy my power—

32 They are they who are the sons of perdition, of whom I say that it had been better for them never to have been born;

33 For they are vessels of wrath, doomed to suffer the wrath of God, with the devil and his angels in eternity;

34 Concerning whom I have said there is no forgiveness in this world nor in the world to come—

35 Having denied the Holy Spirit after having received it, and having denied the Only Begotten Son of the Father, having crucified him unto themselves and put him to an open shame.

36 These are they who shall go away into the lake of fire and brimstone, with the devil and his angels—

37 And the only ones on whom the second death shall have any power;

Aasimar

Atheist
God ~ Faith, Love, Hope

Yet we are commanded to "fear God" and "work out your (our) own salvation with fear and trembling". See this link: Fear

Philippians 2: 12 and Mormon 9: 27 (work out your own salvation with fear and trembling)

[SIZE=-1]God hath not given us the spirit of fear, [/SIZE]but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Then I guess you can go on being afraid. Fear tactics are for bullies and dictators.

Aasimar

Atheist
I disagree.
Satan is a manipulator.
God much better fits the description of both Bully and Dictator than Satan.

Yeah, I don't recall any scriptures with Satan telling me to "Look to my own salvation in fear and trembling."

Pretty sure that was God.

Lemme check...

Phillipeans 2:12

definately not Satan...

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Satan is an angel, but a fallen one of course, and although he is a literal spirit child (the offspring) of God, he is now a son of hell and should be referred to that way.
I don't think we're quite on the same wavelength, FFH, and I'm really surprised that you haven't yet picked up on where I'm going with this thread yet. Michel referred to Satan (aka Lucifer, at least to most Christians, including the Latter-day Saints) as a "son of God." Now I am as aware as you are that he forfeited the right to be known as a son of God when he was cast out of God's presence, but I am trying to determine whether there are people besides michel who believe that he was a son of God, or if he was some other sort of creation.

I just don't seem to be getting many very direct responses to my question, even though people do have quite a bit to say about him. I guess I should have started a poll.

FFH

Veteran Member
I know what you're trying to do, just filling in the blanks for those who would rather just cut to the chase and know the truth, rather than wonder about it for days, weeks, months or years and be totally in the dark.

Sorry if I interfered with what you were trying to do here.

It's just so important to come out and state that Satan is/was a literal son of God, who rebelled.

There is an interesting account, given by an LDS former Idaho senator, who had a "near death experience," he describes Satan as having continually "bugged" God to change things, of course God will not budge on his Plan of Happiness, and eventually Satan and his followers, our literal spirit brothers and sisters, were cast out of heaven forever, which was definitely not a happy day in heaven for sure, according to this LDS NDE account, very interesting account of key events that took place in heaven, including Christ's choice to leave heaven, come to earth and die for us, and upon his return to heaven there was much rejoicing in heaven.

Of course Satan wanted to be a dictator and a bully and "force" everyone into heaven, which is the opposite of God's "Plan of Happiness," in which we are free to choose life or death, happiness or misery, heaven or hell, righteousness or wickedness and all that lies in the midst.

God's way is the "free" way. We are free to choose for ourselves, God will still be God no matter what we choose.

Satan is so angry with all of us for having just chosen to come to earth and obtain bodies, rather than follow him in the pre-existence.

He has some serious egocentric issues obviously.

Okay carry on I won't interfere, at least for now.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The Lord does not create evil (disease, lack, etc.), these are all the works of Satan, ......
Then what of the Plagues of Egypt? Sores and death were just two of them.

God did create Satan, so that would make him a child of God. However, I see Satan as a child who rebelled against an oppressive father.

cardero

Citizen Mod
My favorite quote about this come from the movie "Constantine" the heroine of the film says "Yeah, well i don't believe in the devil" and Keanu Reeves says "Why not? because he believes in you."

that and the verse from Nephi both stuck out to me and my wife. i think that's what got her extremely interested in the Book of Mormon.

And if you believe that movie was an exemplary example of the character Constatine than you have already supported my viewpoint in Post #12.
I know i just mentioned constantine but here's another refrence. and it's the bit about how there are demons and angels around us but all they can do is whisper in your ear and tempt you into doing things for the good or for the bad because they cannot physically interfere.

So they're just like physical entities then? This is still no reason for name calling.

madhatter writes: in all honesty, only the wicked have reason to fear. the righteous have not reason to fear but to rejoice.

It would be far easier and reassuring for one to transverse this earth if it was covered in mines than to try to second guess the will and emotions that some people ascribe to their deities.

cardero

Citizen Mod

I'm kind of wondering what you are implying by "children" Katzpur. You are not designating GOD as a Father figure, are you?

cardero

Citizen Mod
God ~ Faith, Love, Hope

Yet we are commanded to "fear God" and "work out your (our) own salvation with fear and trembling". See this link: Fear

Philippians 2: 12 and Mormon 9: 27 (work out your own salvation with fear and trembling)

What is the opposite of love?

Fear.

HELLO IT'S ME: An Interview With GOD
Chapter: Truth, Love And Understanding
Pg: 145

I may have existed the longest and experienced lifetimes of wisdom, but it does not give ME the authority to rule over YOU. It also does not mean YOU should fear ME.

HELLO IT'S ME: An Interview With GOD
Chapter: The One True GOD?
Pg: 326

GOD does not want our fear. One can never know GOD if one fears Him.

Quath

Old Testament Satan is just an angel doing his job (to accuse man). God and Satan hung out like buddies. (Satan was not the serpent in the garden of Eden.)

But the New Testament comes along. It increases God's power and makes Satan the villian. But as pointed out earlier it makes no sense. How could one angel convince 1/3 of the angels to go to war with the most powerful being in all of existance? It would imply that they did not believe God was all powerful.

But Satan is an interesting idea. I once proposed that the Trinity could be amended to be the Quartet with Satan as the fourth member. It makes as much sense as the Trinity and adds extra fun in interpreting the Bible. For example, the Bible says that Satan incited David to count his fighting men. It also says that God did it. A Quartet would explain it. :)

But in the original premise, if God made Satan directly, then Satan would be his child.