• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SAT adversity score

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
This is not a race issue, it's more of an income issue. In other words it's what the conservatives have been demanding all these years but when people finally put it into practice those same conservatives are up in arms

Thank you for confirming what I've been saying this whole time.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
@Enoch07 See? There you go, you have an Asian with a different opinion.

Yeah it's an opinion.:shrug:

On the plus side this will also significantly hamper attempts by East Asian foreign students (particularly Chinese and Korean) to cheat their way into US colleges.

So ban the cheaters then and be done with it.

Sorry not buying all that hot air. Its racist because it looks down on Hispanics and African Americans and it says "you're not good enough on your own merit, here let me help you".

If I was Hispanic or African American I would not apply to any college that used this system.

If this system was strictly based on income level of that particular individual applying then that would make sense.

But the way its setup Will Smith's kids get an extra 200 points on their SAT scores, while my Asian neighbor (middle class) has his score lowered by 200-300 points.

That is because it's based off a generalization that Asians on avg earn the most, and African Americans on avg are amongst the poorest. Its racist through and through because it's based on the collective vs the individual.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Interesting, what program? Did you finish? I'm asking out of curiosity. Congratulations by the way.
Oceanography, congratulations are not needed ... that was 43 years ago.
Admissions committee keeps that private to the student.
Sure, but I took a position at the school and you work with people for decades and talk over beers.
So based on what you said in the above you never got in? i'm sorry to hear that.
You need to read more carefully:
I am an academic. I got into grad school ...
I am not sure that is "thriving".
Not sure how "thrive" could fit in this context, but I guess you can say that through successful scholarship, the most successful student is one who can learn, maintain and exhibit integrity, grit, innovation, and implementation of the learn academic skills sets they've acquired.
Successful is easy to define: on schedule completion of an honors degree. Rather meaningless to my current jaundiced view and quite likely antithetical to what I see as thriving in an intellectual sense.
My answers for 1 and 2 apply here as well.

See answers for 1 and 2.

Can't think of anything else at this moment....

I'm surprised for someone who is an academic, prior to application there is a set criterion for graduate school that certain universities look for. I don't know about you but most graduate students apply to over 50 different schools for the program they intend to go in. Usually because of this you'd have a healthy understanding what the admissions process is, and look for not sure why you want to know considering you admitted to have went through this process yourself.
I applied to one grad school. I did apply to four colleges (a California Ivy, two New England Ivys, and Berkeley), got into all four ... chose Berkeley, things were simpler back then.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
You need to read more carefully:.

Most likely I skimmed over it. Apparently confused because I read that someone on the admissions committee stated they voted for you. I suspected that the conversation was based on your rejection but my error.

Successful is easy to define: on schedule completion of an honors degree.

Not always. As my professor used to say "life happens" some people do not complete their masters program for a variety of reasons.

Rather meaningless to my current jaundiced view and quite likely antithetical to what I see as thriving in an intellectual sense.

Not sure what you're looking at but I know I'm living proof. I have job and a nice salary and I implement what I've learned in study. There are plenty successful professionals out there who are doing well for themselves. Not sure exactly what you're looking for beyond that.