• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Same woman?

Muffled

Jesus in me
Hosea 1:2 and Hosea 3:1.

Most commentators say that the first woman represents Israel and there appears to be enough evidence to support that concept.

However for the second woman I believe this represents the Gentiles who are bought with a price, the blood of Jesus. However I believe for Jews it is saying that they will not return to "David their king" who is Jesus until the latter days.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
To be altogether truthful, I very much prefer scrambling the lox into the spinach omelette ... with onions of course.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
To be altogether truthful, I very much prefer scrambling the lox into the spinach omelette ... with onions of course.
Well, the smoked salmon here in the Pacific NW is quite different than lox. Different fish, different curing methods.

Muffled

Jesus in me
People believe all manner of baseless things.

However I believe my bases are valid.

Hos 3:4 For the children of Israel shall abide many days without king, and without prince, and without sacrifice, and without pillar, and without ephod or teraphim:

Tell me when Israel no longer had a King or sacrifice?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

Hos 3:4 For the children of Israel shall abide many days without king, and without prince, and without sacrifice, and without pillar, and without ephod or teraphim:

To when would you date the verse?

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Wait, wasn't there a time during the days where the Jews were under the control of the Greeks/Seleucids (the time of the Maccabean revolts and all that, before the Hasmonean Dynasty), where the Greeks shut down/desecrated the Temple, then the Jews got it back and rededicated it, and that rededication is where we get Hannukah from? So the time before the rededication when the Temple was out of commission would've been the bit that Hosea had in mind? Is my (incredibly basic, crude and most likely partially inaccurate) understanding right?

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member

**Raises hand**

Um, the Babylonian exile? The time period is right, as Hosea 1:1 reads
The word of the Lord that came to Hosea son of Beeri during the reigns of Uzziah,(A) Jotham,(B) Ahaz,(C) and Hezekiah,(D) kings of Judah, and of Jeroboam(E) son of Jehoash, king of Israel.​

This would be around the time Israel was invaded by Assyria, but before Judah was invaded by Babylon and the temple was destroyed.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
from wiki
Hosea (הושֵעַ) prophesied during a dark and melancholic era of Israel's history, the period of the Northern Kingdom's decline and fall in the 8th century BC. The apostasy of the people was rampant, having turned away from God in order to serve the calves of Jeroboam II and Baal, a Canaanite god.

During Hosea's lifetime, the kings of the Northern Kingdom, their aristocratic supporters, and the priests had led the people away from the Law of God, as given in the Pentateuch. Forsaking the worship of God, they worshiped other gods, especially Baal, the Canaanite fertility god. Other sins followed, including homicide, perjury, theft, and sexual sin.[3] Hosea declares that unless they repent of these sins, God will allow their nation to be destroyed, and the people will be taken into captivity by Assyria,[4] the greatest nation of the time.
The prophecy of Hosea centers around God's unending love towards a sinful Israel. In this text, God's agony is expressed over the betrayal of Israel. Stephen Cook asserts that the prophetic efforts of this book can be summed up in this passage "I have been the Lord your God ever since the land of Egypt; you know no God but me, and besides me there is no savior" (Hosea 13:4) Hosea's job was to speak these words during a time when that had been essentially forgotten.
But let's not muddy the water with relevant information. Far better that we coerce Hebrew Scripture to make it all about Jesus. :)

Muffled

Jesus in me
**Raises hand**

Um, the Babylonian exile? The time period is right, as Hosea 1:1 reads
The word of the Lord that came to Hosea son of Beeri during the reigns of Uzziah,(A) Jotham,(B) Ahaz,(C) and Hezekiah,(D) kings of Judah, and of Jeroboam(E) son of Jehoash, king of Israel.
This would be around the time Israel was invaded by Assyria, but before Judah was invaded by Babylon and the temple was destroyed.

That makes sense. In other words the first woman would be the Northern Kingdom of Israel and the second woman the Kingdom of Judah.

I am still confused why the woman representing Judah has to be bought unless it is an allusion to purchasing a prostitute.