• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Salutations.

Rejected

Under Reconstruction
I'd just like to introduce myself. Since this is a religious forum it would only be appropriate to expand a little on my religious convictions.

I feel that since the beginning of recorded history and probably even before that organized religion has been a plague on the human race. It has been a means for opportunistic people to capitalize on the fears of people who won't think for themselves. I like to think that if people would analyze the world based on what they have actually observed and experienced, without bias from current religious organizations, even if they couldn't find an answer to everything they would come to the conclusion that it doesn't take blind conviction in a mythology to be a good, moral person. I don't understand why people are so uncomfortable saying "I don't know what's going on" that they have to create totally irrational explanations.

I dont mean to sound hostile to anyone. I apologize if I have. That being said, I'm looking forward to some good discussions.

And don't mind the comments in my profile, that just to get a rise out of people. It doesn't really mean anything.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Rejected said:
I'd just like to introduce myself. Since this is a religious forum it would only be appropriate to expand a little on my religious convictions.

I feel that since the beginning of recorded history and probably even before that organized religion has been a plague on the human race. It has been a means for opportunistic people to capitalize on the fears of people who won't think for themselves. I like to think that if people would analyze the world based on what they have actually observed and experienced, without bias from current religious organizations, even if they couldn't find an answer to everything they would come to the conclusion that it doesn't take blind conviction in a mythology to be a good, moral person. I don't understand why people are so uncomfortable saying "I don't know what's going on" that they have to create totally irrational explanations.

I dont mean to sound hostile to anyone. I apologize if I have. That being said, I'm looking forward to some good discussions.

And don't mind the comments in my profile, that just to get a rise out of people. It doesn't really mean anything.

Ever since I logged on, and found someone had registered under the name "Rejected", I have been thinking "Does he/she feel rejected" ? -I hope you don't!

Welcome to Religious forums;

I suggest that you look at our article for new members (from which there is a link to the Forum rules with which you ought to acquaint yourself)

I hope you enjoy your time with us, and, if there's anything you don't know, don't hesitate to ask.
icon7.gif

evearael

Welcome to RF! Personally, I don't believe in an opposition between science and religion. They are different disciplines with different methodologies. It is as inappropriate to look for answers for science in religion, as it is to look for answers in religion in science. It is like using literary criticism to understand the quadratic equation.

Rejected

Under Reconstruction
I've read the new members info so i'll try to be a civil as possible.

And the name is a reference to a cartoon by a man named Don Hertzfeldt. Absolutely hilarious. That's also where I stole my avatar from.

No, I dont feel rejected, its more like "voluntary disassociation."

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Rejected said:
I like to think that if people would analyze the world based on what they have actually observed and experienced, without bias from current religious organizations, even if they couldn't find an answer to everything they would come to the conclusion that it doesn't take blind conviction in a mythology to be a good, moral person.

Yep... that's pretty much the stand that my religious organization takes too... but to each his own.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Rejected

Under Reconstruction
ChrisP said:
WOw... you sure are a positive guy. Read much HG Wells?

Welcome! Have fun :)
Actually I'm a pretty positive person, relatively speaking. I believe christians are on the right track with the whole "love thy neighbor as thyself" I just wish more would actually understand and practice it. i try to treat everyone i meet with respect and dignity, until they give me reason to do otherwise. I hope humanity would realized that the answer to our problems are not war and violence, but love and compassion. Like Bill Hicks said:
You know all that money we spend on nuclear weapons and defense each year, trillions of dollars, correct? Instead - just play with this - if we spend that money feeding and clothing the poor of the world; and it would do so many times over, not one human being excluded; we could explore space together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace.
But I geuss I'm just a wishful thinker.

Rejected

Under Reconstruction
Maize said:

Yep... that's pretty much the stand that my religious organization takes too... but to each his own.

Welcome to the forum. :)

I know some groups are making a little progress, UU is one of them. I also think the UCC branch of Christianity are a shining example of compassion, but they are still clinging to the whole jesus myth. (remember this is all just personal opinion) I'm most passionately opposed to those groups who spread hate, violence and intolerance under the guise of brotherly love.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Rejected said:
I know some groups are making a little progress, UU is one of them. I also think the UCC branch of Christianity are a shining example of compassion, but they are still clinging to the whole jesus myth.

I'm curious what you think would be a lot of progress. :D

If someone finds comfort, fulfillment and purpose in believing in the life and teachings of Jesus, then who am I to tell them not to? Just because I reject the traditional view of Jesus, doesn't mean everyone else has to as well. Part of being tolerant is allowing others the freedom to make up their own minds on matters of faith and spirituality. And I don't have to agree with someone on every little detail to work with them on common goals.

(remember this is all just personal opinion) I'm most passionately opposed to those groups who spread hate, violence and intolerance under the guise of brotherly love.
Agreed.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Rejected said:
...I feel that since the beginning of recorded history and probably even before that organized religion has been a plague on the human race...
Well, at least you're young and have the opportunity to grow and learn beyond your current level of misunderstanding.:group: Good luck and enjoy the site.

Rejected

Under Reconstruction
CaptainXeroid said:
Well, at least you're young and have the opportunity to grow and learn beyond your current level of misunderstanding.:group: Good luck and enjoy the site.

Thank you for your condescension. This is what I am talking about when I say that I treat everyone with respect until given a reason not to. Congratulations, you've just made it onto the "not to" list.

Rejected

Under Reconstruction
Maize said:

I'm curious what you think would be a lot of progress. :D

If someone finds comfort, fulfillment and purpose in believing in the life and teachings of Jesus, then who am I to tell them not to? Just because I reject the traditional view of Jesus, doesn't mean everyone else has to as well. Part of being tolerant is allowing others the freedom to make up their own minds on matters of faith and spirituality. And I don't have to agree with someone on every little detail to work with them on common goals.

Agreed.

I only say that because I haven't actively pursued study of UU doctrine, but from what I do know they're headed in the right direction.