• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev on understanding the nature of mental illness....

ajay0

An insightful article by Yogic master Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev on understanding the nature of mental illness...

https://isha.sadhguru.org/us/en/wisdom/sadhguru-spot/understanding-mental-illness

We need to build structures in society where the margin for mental illness is very low. Why I go back pining for the culture that existed in this land is because about 200 to 300 years ago, there were hardly any mentally ill people in this country simply because of certain structures in the society. Slowly, without awareness, we are pulling it down. Today, even in villages, there are psychologically broken people, which was never so in the past. If it happened, it was an extremely negligible percentage of people. The percentage is increasing. You can distinctly see that in so-called “affluent” societies, the percentage is becoming quite high. This is because a human being is a social animal unless he transcends certain things. Either we should work for transcendence or we should create a society which is supportive, which is not demanding. Right now, the social structures that we have created are horribly demanding.

This is happening to urban India, but it has happened even more so in the West. If you want to live in America, even if you fast for the next 30 days, your bills will still add up to 3,000 dollars. The society is structured in such a way that it is very demanding on the individual person – someone cannot take a break and just sit down. Not everyone may be capable of continually being on. A whole lot of people need to withdraw from certain things. If there is sufficient sadhana in their life, then you can drive them 24 hours, 365 days because life is brief and we don’t want to sit back. But if there is no sadhana, it is very important that people have space and time. - Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
After reading the article, I read some of the comments... I came across this one:

A Indian teacher (J Krishnamurti) once said,
'It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society'

There's a lot of wisdom in that!

Just apply that to the Nazis. If you lived in that society and knew the truth, and adapted well, then something was wrong with you!

Now, think about the world in general, today....due to economic pressures, many cultures are just geared to making money, which can become a focal point (an obsession) and turn to greed and materialism, with familial relationships going down the drain. (1 Timothy 6:9-10). That alone would cause mental strain to the family members. ("I can buy anything I want! I don't have a relationship with my Dad, but I have all the latest gadgets!")

Sorry for the rant.

Last edited: