• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sad

Cazblue

As a christian i am having difficulty dealing with something i ve heard on the news ...a mother died possibly from natural causes and her severely disabled daughter was found dead at the side of her due to not being able to raise the alarm...evidently over the years she refused help from social services etc but it all sounds so desperately sad...i too have had tradgedy in my life..losing a baby at 6 months due to cot death ...i dont blame God...i know things happen but does anyone else have any explanations over why things so horrible like this happen to innocent souls??? Thank you...:)

Misty

As a christian i am having difficulty dealing with something i ve heard on the news ...a mother died possibly from natural causes and her severely disabled daughter was found dead at the side of her due to not being able to raise the alarm...evidently over the years she refused help from social services etc but it all sounds so desperately sad...i too have had tradgedy in my life..losing a baby at 6 months due to cot death ...i dont blame God...i know things happen but does anyone else have any explanations over why things so horrible like this happen to innocent souls??? Thank you...:)

It is absolutely tragic, and I am sorry for your loss too, but why bring god into it? If it exists it doesn't seem to have any physical input in our world.

Cazblue

It is absolutely tragic, and I am sorry for your loss too, but why bring god into it? If it exists it doesn't seem to have any physical input in our world.
i guess i was trying to ask how God fitted in to all this?...thanks for your reply by the way :D After i lost my son i questioned my faith for quite a while...my vicar was a lovely man and helped me come to terms with it but even he was saddened by not knowing why a loving God would "allow" (if thats the right word) these tradgedys to happen...

Zadok

Zadok
i guess i was trying to ask how God fitted in to all this?...thanks for your reply by the way :D After i lost my son i questioned my faith for quite a while...my vicar was a lovely man and helped me come to terms with it but even he was saddened by not knowing why a loving God would "allow" (if thats the right word) these tradgedys to happen...

We are currently in a temporary state of "fall". Because man is fallen we are subject to sad things. However, the good news is that this fallen state is temporary. Once we have sufficiently experienced this fallen state we will be better prepared (at the judgment) to choose by our acquired knowledge between good and evil.

Zadok

Misty

If God is a genuine entity and could stop the suffering in this world, but for whatever reason choses not to, it doesn't say anything pleasant about its character.

I suppose many of us have sorrow in our lives and ask 'why?' My husband had a brain haemorrhage in 2006, which resulted in substantial brain damage. I am now his carer rather than his wife, a situation we both find unpleasant. However, I guess the question I should be asking myself is, 'Why not me?' I am nothing so special, I shouldn't be protected from suffering, when other folk have it much worse than myself. Unlike the poor tragic women and her disabled daughter I have very supportive children who have been FANTASTIC since their father's illness.

Misty

We are currently in a temporary state of "fall". Because man is fallen we are subject to sad things. However, the good news is that this fallen state is temporary. Once we have sufficiently experienced this fallen state we will be better prepared (at the judgment) to choose by our acquired knowledge between good and evil.

Zadok

Hmmmmmmmmmmm!:facepalm:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

The universe is a dangerous place and isn't very friendly to life. Religion isn't an explanation for why these things happen, but rather a psychological coping mechanism to deal with the fact that they do. If religion doesn't help you cope, it probably isn't something you need.

fatima_bintu_islam

After i lost my son i questioned my faith for quite a while...

Allah says in QUran ( 22:11)
11. And among mankind is he who worships Allâh as it were, upon the very edge (i.e. in doubt); if good befalls him, he is content therewith; but if a trial befalls him, he turns back on his face (i.e. reverts back to disbelief). He loses both this world and the Hereafter. That is the evident loss.

And this: Quran ( 4:79)
79. Whatever of good reaches you, is from All�h, but whatever of evil befalls you, is from yourself.

i.e from our sins.

And ALlah knows best

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
As a christian i am having difficulty dealing with something i ve heard on the news ...a mother died possibly from natural causes and her severely disabled daughter was found dead at the side of her due to not being able to raise the alarm...evidently over the years she refused help from social services etc but it all sounds so desperately sad...i too have had tragedy in my life..losing a baby at 6 months due to cot death ...i don't blame God...i know things happen but does anyone else have any explanations over why things so horrible like this happen to innocent souls??? Thank you...:)

It is hard when tragic things happen. I went through a period of questioning of God when I found out that my oldest child had autism- I actually wondered if God were somehow punishing me! (I don't believe that any longer).
When I was younger, hearing about human suffering- such as starvation and natural disasters, and an incidents in which people mass kill people in a public place would make me wonder about things. As a Christian, I have to accept that these things are going to happen as long as people have free will. All I can do is my little bit to help the earth.

fatima_bintu_islam

Not compassionate, but we Muslims see it from another angle. When one suffers he knows it is because of his sins and that his sins are reducing because of it because ALlah forgives him through his suffer,

Sahih Muslim:
Suhaib reported that Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: Strange are the ways of a believer for there is good in every affair of his and this is not the case with anyone else except in the case of a believer for if he has an occasion to feel delight, he thanks (God), thus there is a good for him in it, and if he gets into trouble and shows resignation (and endures it patiently), there is a good for him in it.

And this hadeeth: ( Sahih Bukhari)

Narrated 'Aisha:
(the wife of the Prophet) Allah's Apostle said, "No calamity befalls a Muslim but that Allah expiates some of his sins because of it, even though it were the prick he receives from a thorn.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Not compassionate, but we Muslims see it from another angle. When one suffers he knows it is because of his sins and that his sins are reducing because of it because ALlah forgives him through his suffer,

Sahih Muslim:
Suhaib reported that Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: Strange are the ways of a believer for there is good in every affair of his and this is not the case with anyone else except in the case of a believer for if he has an occasion to feel delight, he thanks (God), thus there is a good for him in it, and if he gets into trouble and shows resignation (and endures it patiently), there is a good for him in it.

Narrated 'Aisha:
(the wife of the Prophet) Allah's Apostle said, "No calamity befalls a Muslim but that Allah expiates some of his sins because of it, even though it were the prick he receives from a thorn.
What sins could the disabled daughter possibly have done to warrant her sad death?

fatima_bintu_islam

I was talking about the OP not the disabled daughter, and I mentioned it earlier. As for the daughter than thats a whole other issue that I never experienced and that I wouldnt lie and tell that I have knowledge about it.

My posts were mainly pointing at those who leave their religion at the first trial by Allah, if everyone would leave their religion at some trouble, there wxouldnt be any religious people on earth including myself

waitasec

Veteran Member

Zadok

how callous heartless and pretentious of you. such tenacity in the art of being insolent...typical

waitasec

Veteran Member
i don't understand how free will has anything to do with tragedy...

it's like on the one hand your god gave us free will as a gift so we're not robots
and on the other bad things happen because of it

bad things happen because of chaos
good things happen because of chaos

life happens and we have no control, why is that such a hard thing to accept for people. why must there be a reason for things to happen...?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I was talking about the OP not the disabled daughter, and I mentioned it earlier. As for the daughter than thats a whole other issue that I never experienced and that I wouldnt lie and tell that I have knowledge about it.

It still sounds weird that you take as an article of faith that she deserved her misfortunes. There is no evidence of that.

My posts were mainly pointing at those who leave their religion at the first trial by Allah, if everyone would leave their religion at some trouble, there wxouldnt be any religious people on earth including myself

Is following a religion a duty of some sort, then?

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire

Sahih Muslim:

Narrated 'Aisha:

I don't know much about the teachings of the Muslim faith, but the Bible discusses this idea of sin causing suffering quite a bit. In the book of Job, his friends all offer up explainations for why all the bad things keep happening to him...some suggest its because of his hidden sin etc. The conclusion at the end of the book is that sin doesn't cause suffering, but rather that suffering is just a part of life and the divine plan for the universe. According to the book of Job, what matters is how we mortals deal with suffering.

The book of John also touches this subject...Jesus meets a man born blind and his disciples ask him, "who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?" Jesus basically just says that nobody sinned, but thats just the way he was made...part of God's plan for his life...then he performs a miracle and heals the man.

Again in the book of Luke, Jesus references the suffering of some Galileans and also the collapse of a tower in which 18 men lost their lives and asks, "do you think they were worse sinners because they suffered in this way?" and "do you think they were more guilty than others in Jerusalem?" He continues to teach saying that all men need to repent and live their lives as if they were ready for judgement.

Remember that Jesus taught, "The rain falls on both the righteous and the wicked."

fatima_bintu_islam

Tragedies or suffering in Islam are not only due to sins.

Tragedies may come to a non believer so that he knows that he is not the one who handle his life and that God is the most powerful, i.e take him back to his roots believing in God.

I know millions of stories where people after having had a tragedy and were close to death started thinking about life and its purpose and became believers, or came back to the right path if they were already believers.

On another hand, there are tragedies that came from sins and that God give to believers in order to be punished by hell in the afterlife, as it minimize their sins and grant them forgivness.

From the last angle, tragedies are given to very religious people to test their faith and how much steadfast they will be, if they succed it will grant them higher degrees and make them close to God, if they fail it will be basically because of insincerity in past deeds or arrogance or appreciating one's acts and being like: " Look God how much I worship you" while by all the worship he does he is not even thankful at the very least for the blessing of seeing while other people are blind.

So finally, tragedies or sufferings are given to different people for different reasons; and each one must be enough smart to see from where it is coming.

And Allah knows best

Allah says in QUran ( 2:155-157)
[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1]155. And certainly, We shall test you with something of fear, hunger, loss of wealth, lives and fruits, but give glad tidings to As-Sâbirin (the patient ones, ).[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1]156. Who, when afflicted with calamity, say: "Truly! To Allâh we belong and truly, to Him we shall return."[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]157. They are those on whom are the Salawat (i.e. blessings, etc.) (i.e. who are blessed and will be forgiven) from their Lord, and (they are those who) receive His Mercy, and it is they who are the guided-ones.[/SIZE]