• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Russia's 20% solution to Run on the Bank

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
So...Russia's fiat currency started to fall, badly. It was headed into an inflationary spiral. It central banks reacted by offering 20% interest rates. This stopped the spiral by encouraging people to save instead of spending (to get rid of their currency before it withered). I don't know if anyone has ever stopped a run on the bank like this before, so its fascinating.

Also, although the banks saved the currency it continued (and continues) to ruin and discourage trade etc. In anticipation of this Russia had saved up a store of foreign currencies, the idea being it could use them to buy rubles thus further stabilizing the Russian fiat currency. This move, however, was anticipated and blocked. Generally all the Western nations holding those currencies refused to sell. Thus the war chest was depleted by a lot, possibly by half. It might explain why Russia became frugal with its military actions and why Ukraine's air force and air defenses were not destroyed as of yesterday. There is a Reuters article mentioning this about the planes. Its not mentioned in the linked video.

Its about 10 minute video but most of the information pertaining to the war is in the first 5 minutes.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I hear China is continuing support of Russia to offset the sanctions keeping Putin in the game.

Nimos

So...Russia's fiat currency started to fall, badly. It was headed into an inflationary spiral. It central banks reacted by offering 20% interest rates. This stopped the spiral by encouraging people to save instead of spending (to get rid of their currency before it withered). I don't know if anyone has ever stopped a run on the bank like this before, so its fascinating.

Also, although the banks saved the currency it continued (and continues) to ruin and discourage trade etc. In anticipation of this Russia had saved up a store of foreign currencies, the idea being it could use them to buy rubles thus further stabilizing the Russian fiat currency. This move, however, was anticipated and blocked. Generally all the Western nations holding those currencies refused to sell. Thus the war chest was depleted by a lot, possibly by half. It might explain why Russia became frugal with its military actions and why Ukraine's air force and air defenses were not destroyed as of yesterday. There is a Reuters article mentioning this about the planes. Its not mentioned in the linked video.

Its about 10 minute video but most of the information pertaining to the war is in the first 5 minutes.

This is going to hurt Russia, we are only on day 6-7? And all these things that have been sanctioned are not even in effect yet, but as they start and Russian companies gets into problems as well, then the Russian citizens gets into problems. Obviously China as a huge economy can keep them running, but how much are they willing to throw into this, we know China also want to keep their own reputation "good"?

Altfish

Veteran Member

/QUOTE]
The UK tried it on Black Friday back in the 90s; it failed and was the end of the Tories for 10-years

Audie

Veteran Member
This is going to hurt Russia, we are only on day 6-7? And all these things that have been sanctioned are not even in effect yet, but as they start and Russian companies gets into problems as well, then the Russian citizens gets into problems. Obviously China as a huge economy can keep them running, but how much are they willing to throw into this, we know China also want to keep their own reputation "good"?
And believe it or not China prefers talk to
explosions

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I think FDR declared a banking holiday early in the Depression to prevent runs on banks. I'm not sure if it worked all that well. The only thing that stabilized the US economy and bolstered the growth of industry were wage and price controls introduced at the start of WW2.

I'm not sure what effect this will have. The Russians have been through tougher times in the past. During the Siege of Leningrad, the daily ration was the equivalent of a small cracker made with grain and sawdust; it made people sick, but at least they had something in their stomach.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I hear China is continuing support of Russia to offset the sanctions keeping Putin in the game.
I've been expecting China to act as a conduit for trade.
1) China doesn't want Russia as a 2nd major foe.
2) China needs money & goods from Russia.
3) It would harm US & NATO interests.

Audie

Veteran Member
I've been expecting China to act as a conduit for trade.
1) China doesn't want Russia as a 2nd major foe.
2) China needs money & goods from Russia.
3) It would harm US & NATO interests.

Diamonds, oil, the raw materials russia produces are going to be laundered as of Chinese origin?

Long term a weak feckless russia is what china needs

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Long term a weak feckless russia is what china needs

I often totally disagree with you but on this point, yes, I agree. China benefits when it can treat Russia like Russian treats Belarus.