• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Russia impounds Goldman Sachs assets worth 36 million dollars

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I don't think that potentially losing $36 million will bother Goldman Sachs very much. It's just a rounding error to them.

They want to impose a single world system on the planet. Banking, finance, governance, trade etc. They call it "democracy" and the "rules based order", but of course they and not inferior little voters steer the ship and all the rules are written by them in New York, Washington, Brussels and London, for their own benefit.

Russia is still big enough to matter, especially in the energy and natural resources space. And the Ukraine War and the US/European reaction to it by sanctioning Russia (isolating them from the world system and hopefully bringing Moscow to its knees) is pushing Russia into the waiting arms of China. Together with the BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa, there's a growing threat of a second Beijing-centric world system emerging with upstart powers writing new rules to suit themselves.

Why should the USA be able to promote their form of democratic government to the world.
And China not be able to do so.

The American system of government has very little to recommend it.

Americas power and influence and reserve currency status, and industrial power is clearly waning.
While China is rapidly rising.

It is highly likely that China will be the next to take over the world leadership roll.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Why should the USA be able to promote their form of democratic government to the world.
And China not be able to do so.

The American system of government has very little to recommend it.

Americas power and influence and reserve currency status, and industrial power is clearly waning.

It is highly likely that China will be the next to take over the world leadership roll.
Do you think China's government
is better to live under than USA's?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Do you think China's government
is better to live under than USA's?

I would not choose to live under either.

I consider the American legal and political system corrupt and unfit for purpose.

The super rich and powerful in china, are held subject to the law in the same way as every one else.
However I would like to visit China to see things for myself how people actually live with their system.

Though it seems China is prepared to live alongside and cooperate with western and middle eastern systems, without feeling the need to change them or itself.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I consider the American legal and political system corrupt and unfit for purpose.

The super rich and powerful in china, are held subject to the law in the same way as every one else.
However I would like to visit China to see things for myself how people actually live with their system.

Though it seems China is prepared to live alongside and cooperate with western and middle eastern systems, without feeling the need to change them or itself.
Interesting.
Few westerners prefer the PRC's approach to
liberty, governance, hegemony, law, & economy.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Get real. America undoubtedly has some serious problems, but to suggest that it's just as bad or worse than China is hyperbolic nonsense.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

America's power and influence are definitely on the wane, though it's not something I would attribute to China. We made our own choices and made our own bed. Some might say we've gotten too soft and spoiled for our own good. Consumerism has made us too overindulgent in luxury, pleasure, and comfort, while other countries are much hungrier and more determined than we are. Success has spoiled America to the point where Americans have become too complacent and overconfident.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Get real. America undoubtedly has some serious problems, but to suggest that it's just as bad or worse than China is hyperbolic nonsense.

There is little to no real democracy in either country.
There is probably more equality in China.
The law is certainly applied very strictly in china but it does so equally.

However it is not possible for a foreigner to become a Chinese citizen.

You are clearly indoctrinated as they are.

Your economies are in many respects now equal, but moving in opposite directions.
In the short term at Least, It would be preferable for the rest of.us to hold gold rather than either currency.
The change over is going to be catastrophic.

One way or another we will all have to learn to live in a world led by China.
No one will ask us if we like it or want it. But we better be prepared for it.

The transition from the UK domination to the USA, took two world wars.
The transition to China will be via industrial, trade, and scientific and technological leadership.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There is little to no real democracy in either country.
No kings, queens, or dictators.
We have candidates.
We vote.
Winners take office.
And they generally do what a reasonable
person would expect of them.

In your view, is there any country with "real" democracy?
There is probably more equality in China.
The law is certainly applied very strictly in china but it does so equally.
Hah!
Tell that to political dissidents.
Well, you could be right....all are persecuted equally.
But it's not as equal there as you think.
There is massive financial inequality.
And....
However it is not possible for a foreigner to become a Chinese citizen.
The masses are clamoring for this?
You are clearly indoctrinated as they are.
tenor.gif

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
No kings, queens, or dictators.
We have candidates.
We vote.
Winners take office.
And they generally do what a reasonable
person would expect of them.

In your view, is there any country with "real" democracy?

Hah!
Tell that to political dissidents.
Well, you could be right....all are persecuted equally.
But it's not as equal there as you think.
There is massive financial inequality.
And....

The masses are clamoring for this?

tenor.gif

Interestingly China has always used corruption as a tool. The Mandarins allowed their underlings to with hold some of the taxes they collected. This ensured two things. It ensured that they became even more under their thumb, and secondly they had to be very efficient a collecting taxes or the shortfall would be very noticeable.

Today I do not believe that Chinese are more corrupt than Americans.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Interestingly China has always used corruption as a tool. The Mandarins allowed their underlings to with hold some of the taxes they collected. This ensured two things. It ensured that they became even more under their thumb, and secondly they had to be very efficient a collecting taxes or the shortfall would be very noticeable.

Today I do not believe that Chines are more corrupt than Americans.
Chinese corruption differs from USA corruption.
We each have our different values & preferences.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
And we each prefer different resulting environments.

It is probably likely that we like most what we know and are used to.
Which would make our preferences little more than a chance of birth.

I am sure that the Chinese, like us, love their homeland.

From a practical point of view a one party system makes more sense than the dichotomy of a two party system.
The wide range of individuals making up a single party system provide all the diversity of views necessary for an equitable system of government.
There is no reason to believe that the western adversarial form of government is superior, or produces better government

A two party system of government spends most of its energy and resources fighting and undoing the previous governments laws and progress.
It rarely represents the interests of more than half of a nation's people.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It is probably likely that we like most what we know and are used to.
Which would make our preferences little moore than a chance of birth.

I am sure that the Chinese, like us, love their homeland.

From a practical point of view a one party system makes more sense than the dichotomy of a two party system.
The wide range of individuals making up a single party system provide all the diversity of views necessary for an equitable system of government.
There is no reason to believe that the western adversarial form of government is superior, or produces better government

A two party system of government spends most of its energy and resources fighting and undoing the previous governments laws and progress.
It rarely represents the interests of more than half of a nation's people.
For whatever reasons, we all each certainly do
prefer a different society & form of governance.
China suits you better than it does me.
USA suits me better.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
For whatever reasons, we all each certainly do
prefer a different society & form of governance.
China suits you better than it does me.
USA suits me better.

Neither the USA nor China suit me.
If push came to shove I would side with China, as is becoming the case for many millions of people around the world.

The UK is little better. Nor are many of the European countries.
All western governments seem to be going through a period of inaction and dithering when it comes to their own and the world's problems.

Russia and it's few dependent allied countries have decided on war as a means of promoting their identity and expanding their territory.

And China is trying hard to remain neutral, but not quite succeeding. It has unfortunately been drawn into a tit for tat commercial and technological war by the USA. This has resulted in severe damage to the USA chip infrastructure, with the loss of many thousands of jobs. And as a result caused an equal spurt in China's research and development and manufacture for their semiconductor supply chain. This has also disrupted the world supply chain of many vital raw material and rare earth products needed by the USA hightec industries. As China has an almost complete monopoly not only of the minerals but of the patented processes require to extract them in volume.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Neither the USA nor China suit me.
If push came to shove I would side with China, as is becoming the case for many millions of people around the world.
So as I said...
"China suits you better than it does me."
As China has an almost complete monopoly not only of the minerals but of the patented processes require to extract them in volume.
I don't see that as an impediment.
China doesn't honor US patents,
so there's no need to honor theirs.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
So as I said...
"China suits you better than it does me."

I don't see that as an impediment.
China doesn't honor US patents,
so there's no need to honor theirs.

It is largely myth that China does not honour international patents .
Until recently Huawei was not charging for use of its 5G patents. Of which it holds the large majority in the field.
If China was not holding to patents then the American high tech restrictions on them woul have no effect. As it is, it has forced them into billions of $ of research and development to create their own supply chains. It is largely in the field of duv chip foundry technology, that they are still behind the Dutch who are the world's sole supplier of leading edge Duv litho machines.

As the USA has banned Huawei from using Google services on their phones. Huawei have developed The Harmony operating system and its own 5G chips, and is once again able to make high end phones. It is the only operating system to cover the entire gamut of devices, natively integrating everything from home devices to cars to super computers and everything in between (the internet of things)
From that point of view it has been a blessing for them in disguise.
(China never has used Google services on the mainland)

China has its own. Equivalent to the GPS navigation system called BeiDeu. and now mostly uses the Petal equivalent to Google maps. You can use Petal on any phone (I have it on mine, and it is equally good and in many respects better.)
Petal is Huawei developed software based on the, Dutch Company, TomTom's data and services.
I do not know if Petal links with the more accurate BeiDou or only uses the older GPS technology.
TomTom is capable of centimeter accuracy in its autonomous driving applications.