• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rosetta@home

evearael

Put your computer to work when you aren't on RF for a great cause!

Details here: http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/
Rosetta@home needs your help to determine the 3-dimensional shapes of proteins in research that may ultimately lead to finding cures for some major human diseases. By running the Rosetta program on your computer while you don't need it you will help us speed up and extend our research in ways we couldn't possibly attempt without your help. You will also be helping our efforts at designing new proteins to fight diseases such as HIV, Malaria, Cancer, and Alzheimer's

There is an article regarding Rosetta@home's work on Wired:
http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,71080-0.html?tw=wn_index_6

d.

_______
will do. i remember i had one of these a few years ago that calculated something astronomy something. but i had to remove it since it crashed my comp too often.

d.

_______
yeah, that's the one. i thought it was a different program but it's the same software with different projects, i see. oh well, i have a new comp and the software must have gotten better since i used it, so i'll give it another try.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
As it's you who asked, Leonne, I'll set it up on mine too. To be frank, I'd much rather 'give' to charity in this way than in money. At least this feels more interactive.But SETI (I found) was far too memory-hugging. I'll see how this one goes.:)

evearael

Update: So far Rosetta has been chugging away at home and we haven't had any issues with it. Michel, Divine, how has it been running on your computers?

evearael

Let's see... do you have the BOINC Manager up? You can click on the preferences button and it will bring up a page where you can specify when you would like it to run, general preferences.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
evearael said:
Let's see... do you have the BOINC Manager up? You can click on the preferences button and it will bring up a page where you can specify when you would like it to run, general preferences.

ah, thanks!