• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ron Paul, right on some issues, wrong on most

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
Well, yea, it's basically made for children. And what does it matter what percentage of the alerts are so-called "Actual abductions"?
Yes it does, because it desensitizes the community (which it relies on for information) towards the alert.

There's also nothing wrong with hate crime legislation.
Its stupid and hypocritical.
The intent behind a crime is always taken into consideration, and if your intent behind graffiti, murder, stealing, is to deliberately intimidate or terrorize a racial or religious group, then it might result in higher sentencing for you.
Thats all well and nice in theory, but it ends up resulting in special privileges for the minorities.

Yes it does, because it desensitizes the community (which it relies on for information) towards the alert.
So therefore there should no longer be an alert? What, exactly, is an "actual abduction"? Do you have any proof of desensitization, or did you just make that up?

Its stupid and hypocritical.
No, it isn't.

Thats all well and nice in theory, but it ends up resulting in special privileges for the minorities.

LOL. Ah yes, our rights to go into historically white cities, schools and institutions without being terrorized by the population. Or a homosexual's right to...be homosexual without getting killed over it. Even Muslim's rights to build a mosque and not have bigots try to forcibly suspend their freedom of religion. What special "privileges" minorities have! If only EVERYONE could have our special privileges. :sad4: It sure would make it a lot easier to be a rich white politician like our friend Ron Paul!

Why is it that only the most privileged on earth ramble on about these super secret "special" privileges? No time or patience, unfortunately. :/

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Through perverse court decisions and years of cultural indoctrination, the elitist, secular Left has managed to convince many in our nation that religion must be driven from public view. The justification is always that someone, somewhere, might possibly be offended or feel uncomfortable living in the midst of a largely Christian society, so all must yield to the fragile sensibilities of the few.

The notion of a rigid separation between church and state has no basis in either the text of the Constitution or the writings of our Founding Fathers. On the contrary, our Founders’ political views were strongly informed by their religious beliefs. Certainly the drafters of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, both replete with references to God, would be aghast at the federal government’s hostility to religion. The establishment clause of the First Amendment was simply intended to forbid the creation of an official state church like the Church of England, not to drive religion out of public life.

Note: For a constitutionalist he sure doesn't know his founding fathers. Jefferson, anyone?

The Founding Fathers envisioned a robustly Christian yet religiously tolerant America, with churches serving as vital institutions that would eclipse the state in importance. Throughout our nation’s history, churches have done what no government can ever do, namely teach morality and civility. Moral and civil individuals are largely governed by their own sense of right and wrong, and hence have little need for external government. This is the real reason the collectivist Left hates religion: Churches as institutions compete with the state for the people’s allegiance, and many devout people put their faith in God before their faith in the state. Knowing this, the secularists wage an ongoing war against religion, chipping away bit by bit at our nation’s Christian heritage.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
So therefore there should no longer be an alert? What, exactly, is an "actual abduction"? Do you have any proof of desensitization, or did you just make that up?
An abduction made by a total stranger.
The alert relies heavily on the community for information. And yes, desensitization is noticeable. a great deal of people do not even pay attention to Amber Alerts anymore, meaning we have to enforce stricter guidelines on when to issue one. But police officers release one anyways without adhering to the requirements.
No, it isn't.
Wow gee, you sure showed me. You ever consider joining a debate team?

I hate this acronym.
Lets start with the major flaw in hate crime. Anti-<group here> vandalism should not be treated as a hate crime. Why should a vandal who decided to spray his gang-sign on a wall be treated different from a guy who sprayed a racist comment? Its freedom of expression. While the way they express it is illegal, what they spray should not suddenly be made a more major crime.
Hate crime is also contradictory when it comes to a major crime such as assault. Do you ever beat somebody you do not hate to a pulp? Do you murder somebody you do not hate?
Furthermore, it is easy as a lawyer to argue that any action taken against <group here> is a hate crime.

Aqualung

Tasty
Note: For a constitutionalist he sure doesn't know his founding fathers. Jefferson, anyone?

I don't understand any of those quotes as advocating a reversal of the separation of church and state. In fact, it gels quite nicely with my view - the separation of church and state means that there should be no state religion and that religions should not finance governments (in a broad sense). He's just saying that he thinks it's silly to blow this up into a no-religious-objects-in-any-public-place type of deal. That's how I read him, anyway. Obviously, these are somewhat ambiguous statements that can be read in a number of ways, especially when coloured by our own views of him either as a good candidate or one to be wary of.

Aqualung

Tasty
Lets start with the major flaw in hate crime. Anti-<group here> vandalism should not be treated as a hate crime. Why should a vandal who decided to spray his gang-sign on a wall be treated different from a guy who sprayed a racist comment? Its freedom of expression. While the way they express it is illegal, what they spray should not suddenly be made a more major crime.
Hate crime is also contradictory when it comes to a major crime such as assault. Do you ever beat somebody you do not hate to a pulp? Do you murder somebody you do not hate?
Furthermore, it is easy as a lawyer to argue that any action taken against <group here> is a hate crime.

It also turns it into a thought crime of sorts. The only difference between assault and a hate crime is the THOUGHTS of the offender - the actions are exactly the same, so why have different punishments?

An abduction made by a total stranger. .

Well, then, looks like you need to change your definition of an "actual abduction". And again, prove that "a great deal" of people don't pay attention.

You ever consider joining a debate team?
I have, but they tend to actually support assertions like "hypocritical" and "stupid", and I might have to work a little harder than I do with you. But we'll see. :)

I hate this acronym.
One is doing such to show an area's gang affiliation (which can be punished plenty hard), and one is doing such to terrorize (group here). Intent always makes a difference in sentencing. For example, I can trash talk the government, but maybe I choose to express this through shooting the president. I will be charged and treated a lot more harshly than if my girlfriend breaks up with me and I decide to express my jealousy through killing her. Gang vandalism has deeper consequences than typical "Jasmine loves Brian!!" vandalism, and racist, xenophobic (Etc) vandalism has deeper consequences for the both of them.

:rolleyes: Are you serious? Murders commited in hot blood, murders committed by accident/negligence, killing someone because you're messed up and think that thing is hot, killing for the insurance money, etc. Either way, you're missing the point.

Possibly. If you're taking an action against <group here>, yes, you are motivated by bigotry, and if your "actions against" them include something illegal, you will be punished accordingly. Why is this a bad thing?

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
Well, then, looks like you need to change your definition of an "actual abduction". And again, prove that "a great deal" of people don't pay attention.
Hardly. The majority of times, the abductor is a parent of the child, and when people hear the alert, they see the kid with a parent.
One is doing such to show an area's gang affiliation (which can be punished plenty hard), and one is doing such to terrorize (group here).
So? Its freedom of expression. I can say I want to destroy <group here> or similar comments. Its legal. But suddenly if I express it in an illegal manner, such as vandalism, its a hate crime. Its contradictory.
:rolleyes: Are you serious? Murders commited in hot blood,
Typically you do not like the person you suddenly want to kill very much. You hate that person extremely for a moment.\
murders committed by accident/negligence,
Is not murder. It is involuntary manslaughter. You would think somebody who has considered joining a debate team would know the difference.
killing someone because you're messed up and think that thing is hot, killing for the insurance money, etc.
The first means you have a mental disorder of some sort. And if you just decide to kill somebody for their insurance for no other reason but insurance, you probably also have some mental disorder.
Possibly. If you're taking an action against <group here>, yes, you are motivated by bigotry, and if your "actions against" them include something illegal, you will be punished accordingly. Why is this a bad thing?
Because it is stupid. I can argue that any action taken against me is a hate crime against a minority. Vandalism is either done to express an opinion, spite, or just for the hell of it. But if it appears on my shop, I can argue that it was done with hateful intent, regardless why the vandal did it.

Hardly. The majority of times, the abductor is a parent of the child, and when people hear the alert, they see the kid with a parent.
An abductor is an abductor. Just last post you said intent shouldn't matter....oooh, you meant intent suddenly shouldn't matter when it comes to terrorizing minorities!

So? Its freedom of expression. I can say I want to destroy <group here> or similar comments. Its legal. But suddenly if I express it in an illegal manner, such as vandalism, its a hate crime. Its contradictory.
No, you can't say "I want to destroy <group here> in most places, it actually qualifies as "hate speech"...but refer to my assassination example. Say what you want, think what you want, the second you go around pushing your bigoted opinions through others through terrorism and violence, you can't hide behind "freedom of expression". Sorry.

Typically you do not like the person you suddenly want to kill very much. You hate that person extremely for a moment.\
No, you are angry at them. You can get angry at someone and still love them. It happens all the time.

Is not murder. It is involuntary manslaughter.
The seperation between the 2 has everything to do with intent, which you don't think should matter. (Thought crime!) They're essentially the same thing. :rolleyes:

"Its freedom of expression. I can say I want to destroy <person here> or similar comments. Its legal. But suddenly if I express it in an illegal manner, such as killing, its premeditated murder. Its contradictory"

Familiar? :)

The first means you have a mental disorder of some sort. And if you just decide to kill somebody for their insurance for no other reason but insurance, you probably also have some mental disorder.
And many killers who kill for the fun of it do have mental disorders. And plenty of people who kill for the money (insurance, your personal belongings, etc or for political reasons don't. A mental disorder might help one get a lower sentence, but other than that...it's still murder, and not murder done out of "hate". But you're missing the point.

Because it is stupid. I can argue that any action taken against me is a hate crime against a minority.
You "can argue" whatever you like. But you have to convince a jury in order to see any legal repercussions come of it.

Vandalism is either done to express an opinion, spite, or just for the hell of it. But if it appears on my shop, I can argue that it was done with hateful intent, regardless why the vandal did it
Of course you can argue whatever you like, and if you manage to convince a jury, then the criminal might get a harsher sentence than that kid who scratched "Timmy was here" on your bathroom wall, they both get higher sentences then they guy who accidentally spilled paint in your shop. And if you argue bigoted intent, like racist contents of the message perhaps coupled a rash of killings of people of and hateful feelings towards <group here> in the area, then the person will have a higher sentence then any of them.

At least be consistent about exactly what's wrong with hate crime legislation, because aside from the term "hate", which you think is too broad...everything you say can apply to almost any sort of crime legislation. :sarcastic

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
An abductor is an abductor. Just last post you said intent shouldn't matter....oooh, you meant intent suddenly shouldn't matter when it comes to terrorizing minorities!
Eh you missed the point. When a child is abducted by a parent, most people in the community do not see anything wrong with the picture. Just <name here> with one of her parents.
No, you can't say "I want to destroy <group here> in most places, it actually qualifies as "hate speech"
I can yell destroy <minority here> I can do it wherever I please so long as I am not disturbing the peace or threatening people.
...but refer to my assassination example. Say what you want, think what you want, the second you go around pushing your bigoted opinions through others through terrorism and violence, you can't hide behind "freedom of expression". Sorry.
That is stupid and contradictory.
I have the right to think whatever I please and to express my thoughts in a legal manner. But suddenly when my bigotry is expressed through graffiti it gets me a hate crime?
No, you are angry at them. You can get angry at someone and still love them. It happens all the time.
Anger is just a form of hate.
The seperation between the 2 has everything to do with intent,
Hardly. Cause of death matters too. Like i can really say "Vinnie just fell on an ice pick" and get away with involuntary manslaughter.
which you don't think should matter.
I am not arguing that intent should be taken out of crime. I am arguing that hate crime goes against the first amendment
"Its freedom of expression. I can say I want to destroy <person here> or similar comments. Its legal. But suddenly if I express it in an illegal manner, such as killing, its premeditated murder. Its contradictory"
Familiar? :)
If you consider murder a form of expression.
And many killers who kill for the fun of it do have mental disorders. And plenty of people who kill for the money (insurance, your personal belongings, etc or for political reasons don't. A mental disorder might help one get a lower sentence, but other than that...it's still murder, and not murder done out of "hate". But you're missing the point.
If you kill for political reasons you are essentially a revolutionist.
People rarely kill somebody just for the money, and those that do tend to have some mental problem or the other.
You "can argue" whatever you like. But you have to convince a jury in order to see any legal repercussions come of it.
People do manage to convince juries of this.
Of course you can argue whatever you like, and if you manage to convince a jury, then the criminal might get a harsher sentence than that kid who scratched "Timmy was here" on your bathroom wall, they both get higher sentences then they guy who accidentally spilled paint in your shop.
I can argue that the guy who spilled paint on my wall had racist intentions. It is not difficult at all.
And if you argue bigoted intent, like racist contents of the message perhaps coupled a rash of killings of people of and hateful feelings towards <group here> in the area, then the person will have a higher sentence then any of them.
You never purposefully (premeditated) murder somebody you do not hate, barring mental illness.
At least be consistent about exactly what's wrong with hate crime legislation, because aside from the term "hate", which you think is too broad...everything you say can apply to almost any sort of crime legislation. :sarcastic
Which is why you cite so many examples

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
It also turns it into a thought crime of sorts. The only difference between assault and a hate crime is the THOUGHTS of the offender - the actions are exactly the same, so why have different punishments?
This is very true with the heavier offenses. You do not beat somebody with a sledgehammer because you like them.
Intent should not be totally taken out of consideration though. The difference between involuntary manslaughter and murder is very real.

Aqualung

Tasty
This is very true with the heavier offenses. You do not beat somebody with a sledgehammer because you like them.
Intent should not be totally taken out of consideration though. The difference between involuntary manslaughter and murder is very real.

Yes, there is a difference between accidental and purposeful. But, this is getting off topic. If you would like to hear my opinions on the difference between purposeful and premeditated purposeful (for example), you can start a thread. :D

When a child is abducted by a parent, most people in the community do not see anything wrong with the picture. Just <name here> with one of her parents.
Then they need to be alerted all the more.

I can yell destroy <minority here> I can do it wherever I please so long as I am not disturbing the peace or threatening people.
Hate speech - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Depends. If you speak it to an individual (and hate crimes usually are targeted on the individual), it can also be harassment.

I have the right to think whatever I please and to express my thoughts in a legal manner. But suddenly when my bigotry is expressed through graffiti it gets me a hate crime?
Yep. You can think hate thoughts and (depending where you live) speak hateful things, but when you use criminal acts to express yourself, it becomes a hate crime. Just like you can think sexual thoughts and speak sexual obscenities, but you go out and rape someone and it's a sex crime. I can think about stealing, and I can talk about stealing, but when I steal it's a property crime.

Anger is just a form of hate.
lol, so when a kid breaks a window and the mother gets angry, the mother must HATE the kid, right? :p I get angry at loved ones all the time, as a matter of fact, I get more angry at people I love then people I hate, who really aren't worth the time.

Hardly. Cause of death matters too. Like i can really say "Vinnie just fell on an ice pick" and get away with involuntary manslaughter.
You can argue that if you'd like, as unbelievable as it is. But what it boils down to isn't cause of death, it's what you were thinking. "Fall on an ice pick" isn't a good one, since that's a matter of accidental death vs. murder--more like "I fell holding an ice pick and stabbed it into Vinnie". Did you do it on purpose? Did you do it by accident? And that goes with anything, regardless of weapon or method used--some methods are just much harder to do accidentally. ;)

I am not arguing that intent should be taken out of crime. I am arguing that hate crime goes against the first amendment
Is killing black people for their race fall under "protected SPEECH"?

If you consider murder a form of expression.
It can be, and often is. Terrorism is all about making political statements through violence and vandalism. "I disagree with this administration, I will show this hate through blowing up this building". "I think segregation is the way to go and I hate this darky moving in so I'm going to burn a cross on his lawn". "My religion condemns homosexuality, so I am going to drag this man from the back of my truck". "I think meat is murder, so I am going to poison meat products at the store" Murder can be a form of expression, just like vandalism can be a form of expression.

If you kill for political reasons you are essentially a revolutionist.
Ok.

People rarely kill somebody just for the money, and those that do tend to have some mental problem or the other.
Greed is one of the most powerful motivators there is. People that kill for money tend to be desperate, and they'll sometimes try to just get the money without having to hurt anyone...but not crazy. I would like to see evidence of these "tendencies"

People do manage to convince juries of this.
And so they are legally considered "guilty" and sentenced accordingly. Like with every other crime.

I can argue that the guy who spilled paint on my wall had racist intentions. It is not difficult at all.
:areyoucra Yes, you can argue anything you like. If you have enough evidence (did he shout "I hate faggots!!!" when he did it, for example?), you might even take it to court, where he will argue that it was an accident and present his own defense, and the jury will decide if he is guilty beyond reasonable doubt or not, and punish him accordingly!!! Sometimes even, someone may be wrongfully accused and fined/imprisoned, and you know this never happens outside of hate crime cases! Well, we better get rid of hate crime legislation.

You never purposefully (premeditated) murder somebody you do not hate, barring mental illness.
That's a pretty sweeping statement, and I dare you to back it up. Should all serial killers automatically then be considered "not guilty by reason of insanity"?

Which is why you cite so many examples
Exactly.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
Then they need to be alerted all the more.
With what?
Half of the alerts do not give specific information. it is just <name here> was abducted.
Hate speech - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Depends. If you speak it to an individual (and hate crimes usually are targeted on the individual), it can also be harassment.
It depends. There is no law stopping me from yelling that<minority here> is the cause of all our problems and that we must destroy them. Most groups just frown on it.
Yep. You can think hate thoughts and (depending where you live) speak hateful things, but when you use criminal acts to express yourself, it becomes a hate crime.
This makes no sense whatsoever.
Just like you can think sexual thoughts and speak sexual obscenities, but you go out and rape someone and it's a sex crime.
I can think about stealing, and I can talk about stealing, but when I steal it's a property crime.
This has to be the most broken analogy for hate crime I have ever read. Congrats.

Is killing black people for their race fall under "protected SPEECH"?
Saying you want to is.
It can be, and often is. Terrorism is all about making political statements through violence and vandalism.
If you are going to use terrorism as an argument, at least do it properly.
Terrorism is all about spreading, you guessed it, terror. A terrorist uses fear to try and force political change.

You can't agree with me, that is against the rules.
Greed is one of the most powerful motivators there is. People that kill for money tend to be desperate, and they'll sometimes try to just get the money without having to hurt anyone...but not crazy. I would like to see evidence of these "tendencies"
Killing for insurance, the example you cited, requires being very close to the guy you want to whack.
And so they are legally considered "guilty" and sentenced accordingly. Like with every other crime.
So just because I happened to be of a different ethnic group then you, and action I take against you is a hate crime?
Also, just the fact that you have been charged with hate crime destroys your reputation. It does not matter if the charge doesn't stick.
:areyoucra Yes, you can argue anything you like. If you have enough evidence (did he shout "I hate faggots!!!" when he did it, for example?), you might even take it to court, where he will argue that it was an accident and present his own defense, and the jury will decide if he is guilty beyond reasonable doubt or not, and punish him accordingly!!!
This is naive and idealistic.
Its a bit like saying a somebody who is found not guilty of a sexual harassment will find it easy to get work after.
Sometimes even, someone may be wrongfully accused and fined/imprisoned, and you know this never happens outside of hate crime cases! Well, we better get rid of hate crime legislation.
Ya, we better, because it ends up destroying the reputation of those that are found innocent, and ends up giving a much longer stint in jail for those who are found guilty. Hate crime is not the only place where reform is needed, but it is by far the easiest to fix.
That's a pretty sweeping statement, and I dare you to back it up. Should all serial killers automatically then be considered "not guilty by reason of insanity"?
Eh, its why most of them do not get death sentences. Do you really think people who are found not guilty because of insanity are just allowed to leave?
Being psychotic does not get you a not guilty because of insanity verdict, and most serial killers tend to be psychotic.

With what?
Half of the alerts do not give specific information. it is just <name here> was abducted.
Yes, they do. They don't give out a name, they give out a description of the child, the name, who they were last seen with in what. You don't know what you're talking about.

It depends. There is no law stopping me from yelling that<minority here> is the cause of all our problems and that we must destroy them. Most groups just frown on it.
There are laws. In some places it isn't against the law, in some places it is.

This has to be the most broken analogy for hate crime I have ever read.
It's exactly the same bs as you're spouting . "Why can I talk about committing a crime, but as soon as I commit it, it's a crime?"

Saying you want to is.
And saying you want to currently isn't a 'hate crime', so.....

If you are going to use terrorism as an argument, at least do it properly.
Terrorism is all about spreading, you guessed it, terror. A terrorist uses fear to try and force political change.
Exactly. Just like racist graffiti or burning crosses or black people being hung from trees, it's to get people fearful for their lives.

Killing for insurance, the example you cited, requires being very close to the guy you want to whack.
Yes, it usually does, but killing for the money, as you mentioned, doesn't stop at insurance. And unfortunately, not all spouses/children are good people.

So just because I happened to be of a different ethnic group then you, and action I take against you is a hate crime?
No. An action you take against me and that I argue with enough evidence to convince a jury was motivated by ethnicity, is a "hate crime".

Also, just the fact that you have been charged with hate crime destroys your reputation. It does not matter if the charge doesn't stick.
Being charged with most crimes destroys reputations. Doesn't mean we should get rid of legislation banning them.

Its a bit like saying a somebody who is found not guilty of a sexual harassment will find it easy to get work after.
How so?

Ya, we better, because it ends up destroying the reputation of those that are found innocent, and ends up giving a much longer stint in jail for those who are found guilty. Hate crime is not the only place where reform is needed, but it is by far the easiest to fix.
Uh, no mre rape legislation, murder legislation, anti-fraud legislation, etc. We can't just get rid of anti-crime legislation, because you're worried reputations will be damaged if people are charged with them. "Reputation damage" isn't a very good legal reason to do anything, and considering how many racist-*** people we have running around (See: thread title), I really don't think their reputation will be that bad off.

Eh, its why most of them do not get death sentences. Do you really think people who are found not guilty because of insanity are just allowed to leave?
Being psychotic does not get you a not guilty because of insanity verdict, and most serial killers tend to be psychotic.
No, but do you really think they are all "not guilty by reason of insanity"? It's something relitively easy to check.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
Yes, they do. They don't give out a name, they give out a description of the child, the name, who they were last seen with in what. You don't know what you're talking about.
They are supposed to.
The majority of the alerts do not adhere to guidelines.

There are laws. In some places it isn't against the law, in some places it is.
I assume some places means Europe?

It's exactly the same bs as you're spouting . "Why can I talk about committing a crime, but as soon as I commit it, it's a crime?"
Hardly.
A better analogy for hate crime would be "Why can I say that I hate a group, but when I write it on the wall, it is a hate crime?"
Assault and battery is always motivated by hate.
"Sorry officer, but I beat him in a heat of the moment kind of thing for 5 minutes straight"
Exactly. Just like racist graffiti or burning crosses.
These are forms of expression. Killing black people is not a form of expression
Yes, it usually does, but killing for the money, as you mentioned, doesn't stop at insurance. And unfortunately, not all spouses/children are good people.
Exactly, it goes much deeper. But few people are willing to kill somebody they do not hate.
No. An action you take against me and that I argue with enough evidence to convince a jury was motivated by ethnicity, is a "hate crime".
Evidence?
You are dealing with thoughts here. its your word vs his. Who do ya think is gonna win. I'll give you a hint, its not him.
Being charged with most crimes destroys reputations. Doesn't mean we should get rid of legislation banning them.
Nothing destroys reputation more than hate crime and sexual harassment/rape. If you are unable to prove your case, there should at least be punishment for wasting the court's time.
Its like trying to get a job with a murder charge on your record.
Only, you were not actually convicted.
Uh, no mre rape legislation, murder legislation, anti-fraud legislation, etc.
Which has plenty of hard evidence to prove its case.
We can't just get rid of anti-crime legislation, because you're worried reputations will be damaged if people are charged with them.
Your right, We should get rid of hate crime legislation because its essentially a thought crime. whats next?
"Reputation damage" isn't a very good legal reason to do anything, and considering how many racist-*** people we have running around (See: thread title), I really don't think their reputation will be that bad off.
It is my constitutional right to be racist. I can say and believe whatever I damn well please.
No, but do you really think they are all "not guilty by reason of insanity"? It's something relitively easy to check.
Are you being obtuse on purpose?
The majority of serial killers are psychotic. Being psychotic is not a valid reason for not guilty by reason of insanity.

They are supposed to.
The majority of the alerts do not adhere to guidelines.

I assume some places means Europe?
Europe, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, basically any non-backwards Western nation on earth, Brazil, Singapore, etc.

Hardly.
A better analogy for hate crime would be "Why can I say that I hate a group, but when I write it on the wall, it is a hate crime?"
That's not an analogy.

Assault and battery is always motivated by hate.
"Sorry officer, but I beat him in a heat of the moment kind of thing for 5 minutes straight"
Again, always? And you're still missing the point.

These are forms of expression. Killing black people is not a form of expression
It is for racists. What better way to show darkies you mean business than to set an example or seven?

Exactly, it goes much deeper. But few people are willing to kill somebody they do not hate.
Few people are willing to kill at all. The point is, people kill for many reasons not related to any personal hatred.

Evidence?
You are dealing with thoughts here. its your word vs his. Who do ya think is gonna win. I'll give you a hint, its not him.
No, it's not. I have to prove beyond reasonable doubt he did it with the intent to intimidate <insert group here>, to prove that's what he was thinking. It's rather hard to do, and a few subtle hints are sort of leading me to think that you have absolutely no experience with this and you're making stuff up.

Nothing destroys reputation more than hate crime and sexual harassment/rape. If you are unable to prove your case, there should at least be punishment for wasting the court's time.
!!!!
********. On everything. First off, no one cares about hurt reputation. How the hell are you measuring this, and what planet do you live on where a guy like Ron Paul can run for president but being accused of hate crimes destroys reputation? Or rape destroys reputation more than accusations of murder? Nevermind that, because that second sentence should make anyone's blood turn cold. Why should you be punished for not being able to convince a jury? Those cases certainly don't "waste anyone's time" more than others. The person making the accusation is part of the ******* court. It's their time to "waste", if by "waste" you deliver your side of the story and evidence in order to make sure justice is done, no matter what the verdict is. I hope one day you step into the real world. That is so mind-numbingly ignorant I'm speechless. "Damn you rape victims!! How dare you HURT MY REPUTATION!" :rolleyes:

Which has plenty of hard evidence to prove its case.
You do realize how many hate crimes are murders, don't you? It basically comes down to the same exact criminal justice system.

Your right, We should get rid of hate crime legislation because its essentially a thought crime. whats next?
You aren't being punished for thoughts, you're being punished for intent and effect on the community, which has a part in any punishment. The difference between involuntary manslaughter and premeditated murder? OH NO THOUGHT CRIME. Go read 1984, realize what the term "thought crime" means, come back to me. No one has ever been arrested for "thought", ok? Not even in (dun dun dun) Europe.

It is my constitutional right to be racist. I can say and believe whatever I damn well please.
No one said otherwise. But your "right to be racist" ends when you start using your racism to commit violenct acts on, imtimidate and terrorize people of color. SORRY. Have fun in jail. Why can you not see the difference? I don't know.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
Europe, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, basically any non-backwards Western nation on earth, Brazil, Singapore, etc.
I love the first amendment.

That's not an analogy.
Neither was yours.
Again, always? And you're still missing the point.
Which is?
When is assault and battery NOT a case of hating somebody?
Few people are willing to kill at all. The point is, people kill for many reasons not related to any personal hatred.
People tend to kill people they dislike.
No, it's not. I have to prove beyond reasonable doubt he did it with the intent to intimidate <insert group here>,
This what it comes down to. Did he say "death to all <minorites>"? or did he not.
Juries tend to believe the person being oppressed far more then the vandal
to prove that's what he was thinking. It's rather hard to do, and a few subtle hints are sort of leading me to think that you have absolutely no experience with this and you're making stuff up.
Which is why you cite so many examples:sarcastic
!!!!
********. On everything. First off, no one cares about hurt reputation.
Which why you can't sue for slander :rolleyes:

How the hell are you measuring this, and what planet do you live on where a guy like Ron Paul can run for president but being accused of hate crimes destroys reputation?
THe same pathetic ball of mud we are on now.
The person making the accusation is part of the ******* court. It's their time to "waste",
Do you have any experience with the law whatsoever?
The person making the accusation is represented by the court. And no it is not. I should not be able to just point at random people and claim they committed a crime against me. In fact, we DO penalize people. Its called perjury, but it is almost never applied to rape cases
if by "waste" you deliver your side of the story and evidence in order to make sure justice is done, no matter what the verdict is.
You do realize that before you can make an accusation, you should at least have, hmm, evidence maybe? A great deal of rape/ sexual harassment cases devolve into your word bs my word.
guess who wins?
its never the defendant.
I hope one day you step into the real world.
I hope you do to.
The jury system carries with it the flaws of the people who compose it. There is no such thing as partiality in the more...bloody.. cases, where people tend to sympathize heavily with the victim.

You do realize how many hate crimes are murders, don't you? It basically comes down to the same exact criminal justice system.
When does the average murder NOT involve hate?
You aren't being punished for thoughts, you're being punished for intent and effect on the community, which has a part in any punishment.
Wrong. I can have the thoughts, but when expressed through grafitti its a hate crime?
If you still do not see the problems with that, there is not much more I cansay.
The difference between involuntary manslaughter and premeditated murder? OH NO THOUGHT CRIME.
You realize that the crux of your arguments appeal to emotion don't you?
lets ee, one person planned the death. One guy was drunk and crashed into you.
They are not thought crimes at all, but more on the circumstances. Thoughts can never be proven in a court of law, so we rely on circumstances.
That is the flaw with hate crime.
No one said otherwise. But your "right to be racist" ends when you start using your racism to commit violenct acts on, imtimidate and terrorize people of color.
When is hate NOT a motivating force for violent act?
All you have done is say "some murder for cash" Good for them. But i doubt hate had zero influence on their actions.
Why can you not see the difference? I don't know.
I can see the difference.
The problem is hate crime is meant to punish a point of view. What exactly stops it from it applying to other areas?
The benevolence of our politicians?

Which is?
When is assault and battery NOT a case of hating somebody?
Saying 'I'm going to smack you' and then smacking someone. You hardly need to be "beating them for 5 minutes".

People tend to kill people they dislike.
If that was the case, then there would be an awful lot more murder.

This what it comes down to. Did he say "death to all <minorites>"? or did he not.
Juries tend to believe the person being oppressed far more then the vandal
Evidence for this, please. Juries do tend to be biased against minorities.

Which is why you cite so many examples:sarcastic
Every time a statement of yours is in "quote" brackets, consider it an "example".

I should not be able to just point at random people and claim they committed a crime against me. In fact, we DO penalize people. Its called perjury, but it is almost never applied to rape cases
Of course not. In order for it to be applicable, 1) beyond the shadow of a doubt, the accuser was knowingly lying, 2) the accuser lied specifically to hurt the other's reputation 3) the person's reputation was significantly damaged by the accusations, enough to require monetary compensation. Most often in rape cases, the person can't prove s/he was raped, and therefore the accused is declared simply "not guilty".

You do realize that before you can make an accusation, you should at least have, hmm, evidence maybe? A great deal of rape/ sexual harassment cases devolve into your word bs my word.
No, they don't, they require witnesses, forensic and medical evidence just like anyone else.

its never the defendant.
********. If you honestly think that a defendant has never won a rape or sexual harassment case, you have been living under a rock.

Doctor found not guilty of rape | Herald Sun
Notes from underground: Jacob Zuma found not guilty of rape
Army Sergeant Found Not Guilty of Rape
Man found not guilty in rape, aggravated child molestation Columbus Ledger-Enquirer - Find Articles
Man Found Not Guilty In Rape Of High School Student - News Story - WLWT Cincinnati

This isn't even google news, just regular google, first page.

William Kennedy Smith found not guilty of rape December 11 in History
Sex Offender Found Not Guilty In Rape Case - Topix
Man Found Not Guilty In Sex Assault Because He Was Asleep - Local News Story - WKMG Orlando
King found not guilty in rape trial - Front Page

The jury system carries with it the flaws of the people who compose it. There is no such thing as partiality in the more...bloody.. cases, where people tend to sympathize heavily with the victim.
Of course not, and this is true whether or not there are "hate crime" laws.

Wrong. I can have the thoughts, but when expressed through grafitti its a hate crime?
Yep. When you translate your thoughts to illegal behavior, such as grafitti, violence, employment discrimination, harassment--guess what? It's a hate crime! Do you still not get it?

lets ee, one person planned the death. One guy was drunk and crashed into you.
They are not thought crimes at all, but more on the circumstances. Thoughts can never be proven in a court of law, so we rely on circumstances.
And we rely on circumstances as evidence for hate crimes too--but the bottom line is, we are making judgments on what their intent was. Circumstances can only help provide evidence one way or the other. Just like in hate crimes....in one case, a person accidentally crashes into a black guy, in the other, the black guy is being hung from his tree with DIE DARKIE DIE scratched into him. :sarcastic Hmmm...(what you mean I can THINK about hanging black guys from trees, but when I actually do it, it's a hate crime??!?!? Yes.)

When is hate NOT a motivating force for violent act?

But what you quoted has absolutely nothing to do with what you said. Let me say it again, because I didn't once mention "hate", and I think this is a concept which you have an incredibly hard time grasping:

your "right to be racist" ends when you start using your racism to commit violent acts on, intimidate and terrorize people of color Period. That means racist thoughts, not racist actions.

Also, we aren't talking about "crimes in which hate is a motivating force", we are talking about "hate crimes", something which has a specific legal definition. Now, if you don't like the wording, then I can't help you, but stop opening your face to whine about how other people murder people whom they hate too. I don't care.

The problem is hate crime is meant to punish a point of view. What exactly stops it from it applying to other areas?
The benevolence of our politicians?
No, it's meant to punish a specific type of crime. You can think whatever you want to think, you can say whatever you want to say.

your "right to be racist" ends when you start using your racism to commit violent acts on, intimidate and terrorize people of color

That is what hate crimes intend to punish.