• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roasted Veggies

Booko

Deviled Hen
Here's a dish I got from a Persian/Indian friend of mine. Since I have a tough time getting veggies into my family, but I love them, this is a great dish. Anything you don't like -- just leave it in the dish for someone else!

There is no hard-and-fast rule to this dish, so I'll just give some general directions and hope that's ok.

Ingredients:

Shallots, chopped fine
Garlic, crushed or minced
Olive oil (maybe 1/4 to 1/2 c?)
1-2 sm zucchini, in 1/4 in. slices
1-2 sm yellow squash, in 1/4 in. slices
mushrooms, cleaned (probably about a pound's worth)
6-12 red creamer potatoes, cut into small wedges
handful of baby carrots (slice in half any that are kinda wide)
1 bell pepper (prefereably any color but green), cut into 1" square pieces
6-12 pearl onions, peeled
salt & pepper

Use more or less of the amount of any veggie, depending on how much you like it.

Directions:

Finely mince the shallots and garlic, then heat them in the olive oil a bit so the oil takes on the flavor. (You can skip the cooking step if you're lazy, it will be fine.)

Cut up the veggies as noted, then put them in a 9x13" pan. (If you put the veggies in a dish in too deep a layer, they don't cook well.)

Pour the oil w/shallots and garlic over the veggies, then stir to make sure everything's coated. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.

Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 45 minutes, or 350 degrees for 1 hour. Stir a couple of times during baking.

Variations:
Use garlic powder instead of minced garlic.
Skip the shallots if you don't have 'em and just use a little onion.
Any veggies you don't like? Just leave 'em out.

If you try a different veggie and it works well, please let me know. I think broccoli might work, but I've never tried it. I have a friend who tried eggplant and said it was fine.

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
Ahh, mate! That sounds delicious!! :faint: I'm thinking pumpkin and sweet potato would work a treat too. ;) You've pretty much covered the rest of the veggies I think taste good roasted. :p

Booko

Deviled Hen
Bastet said:
Ahh, mate! That sounds delicious!! :faint: I'm thinking pumpkin and sweet potato would work a treat too. ;) You've pretty much covered the rest of the veggies I think taste good roasted. :p
Oh yes, you reminded me, my friend did use sweet potato, and it worked great. I could live on this stuff, and make it at least once a week now.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
That dish sounds delicious Ms. Poultry In Motion. ;) I will have to try it...my parrots will probably even like it!

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
I'm trying this one out tonight...30 minutes until I can tell you how it tastes! :eat:

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
This sounds a lot like the roasted veggies I make. Good stuff!

In fact, I thinking of taking a trip to the farmer's market today....

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'll bet some sauteed, cubed tofu would be a good addition, and would add a bit of protein to the mix without changing the flavor.

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
Booko said:
I take it you liked it? We've become quite addicted.
:yes: I made it with potato, sweet potato, pumpkin, zucchini, baby red peppers (they were so cute and on sale :p ), button mushrooms, and carrot - along with the garlic/shallots mix. I used an olive oil flavoured with various herbs instead of plain (cause it was there in the cupboard and I wanted to try it out lol). I wasn't sure about the mushrooms, cause I'm usually pretty fussy about how I eat them (I like them best raw), but I was pleasantly surprised. If I hadn't already gotten my heart set on a homemade veggie pizza, I'd be making this again on Saturday. :eat: