• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rivers

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
It doesn't look like the cars are going far. Flash flood, perhaps? Little warning in those cases...

What else is there to do but laugh as the cars float by? Crying won't make them stop; may as well have a good time.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I'm late to this thread but the Thames has been a feature running through most of my life. I grew up in Richmond-on-Thames, learnt to row at the age of 13 on the Thames at Putney (and rowed on it for the next 30 odd years), studied in Oxford with the Thames (known locally as the Isis) at the far end of the meadow, moved back to London and after a few years got a job at an oil refinery on the Thames estuary, then after a spell overseas bought a house round the corner from the Thames, to make it easy to go rowing.

But there is also a place in my heart for the Clyde, - or strictly speaking the Firth of Clyde, where I spent my childhood summer holidays, the big treat being to sail on this vessel:
(which I was able to do once again a couple of weeks ago, amazingly, thanks to the dedicated work of the Paddle Steamer Preservation Society).

Whenever I travel I'm interested in the rivers. Crossing the Tweed or the Ribble, staying beside the Lune in Lancaster, Looking out for la Rance when driving across Brittany, trying to make out the names of the various distributaries of the Rhine (or Rijn) when we lived in The Hague......for some reason the rivers seem particularly special features of the geography.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I was wondering the same thing, and some people even laughed.
Well, if it was not their car, they may have laughed (that is how we are). The year has been real tough for many people. I hope it does not repeat itself.
It doesn't look like the cars are going far. Flash flood, perhaps? Little warning in those cases...
What else is there to do but laugh as the cars float by? Crying won't make them stop; may as well have a good time.
With all the bumps suffered during their swim, they will be hard to be recognized.
You are right, JustGeorge. When nature frowns, we can do only that much.