• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ritual Bloodletting?

Mike.Hester

Is ritual bloodletting a part of your religious practice?

If so, how often do you do it? And what's the point of doing so?

It is for Shiite Moslems, have a look at this:

Devout Shiite Muslims mark day of Ashura in Iraqi holy city of Najaf | Daily Mail Online

I'm glad I don't have to do this
I had totally forgotten about this barbaric practice. Yes Christians have done like wise through out history.
In western cultures this have been a practice since hundreds of years ago - Leech - Wikipedia :)
What you cited is very trivial compared to the self-mutilation members of the religion of peace observe. I only know of the Philippines where at a lesser scale do mutilate their own bodies.
Crucifixion in the Philippines - Wikipedia

syo

ritual bloodletting
Nah. I don't do that, and I don't know personally any who do that.
The closest thing to ''blood'' is red wine, in Christian Orthodox rituals. Red wine and not real blood.

Onoma

I've honestly never understood this

I feel like it's merely a social norm / peer pressure, and to be honest, it reminds me of professional wrestling in the 1980's ( Or modern Japanese " deathmatch " wrestling where they assault each other with broken glass and barbed wire )

It could even be partially due to mental instabilities

Look at folks like Martin Luther ( Who pushed self-flagellation ). We know from his diary entries that he actually had OCD ( Spent hours washing his hands, still felt like he couldn't get them clean enough for God )

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I wish we could discuss that in general. Gives something new to talk about in a diverse RF environment.

Maybe in a DIR I'd talk about it a bit more. But when folks figure people are engaging in certain practices because of "mental instabilities" - some things are just so taboo in our culture that the respect isn't going to be there to discuss it well. Use of any kind of bodily fluids for just about any purpose falls into that category. Westerners have these really big hang-ups about bodily fluids, a taboo that isn't present in all cultures. National Geographic did a really good series once about various cultural taboos, including this one, that is worth a gander if you can get ahold of it. Watching a lot of these really helped me combat Western, Eurocentric biases.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Maybe in a DIR I'd talk about it a bit more. But when folks figure people are engaging in certain practices because of "mental instabilities" - some things are just so taboo in our culture that the respect isn't going to be there to discuss it well. Use of any kind of bodily fluids for just about any purpose falls into that category. Westerners have these really big hang-ups about bodily fluids, a taboo that isn't present in all cultures. National Geographic did a really good series once about various cultural taboos, including this one, that is worth a gander if you can get ahold of it. Watching a lot of these really helped me combat Western, Eurocentric biases.

I've never been one to generalize "westerners" in a bad or negative light since everyone is different. On RF, yes. I can see it. But in a DIR, those who wish to converse can only be those who follow that said religion. I talked with a couple people from African practices who do ritual blood sacrifice and pretty much said the same. They didn't mind talking to me since they said I was a minority and wasn't "white" type of thing. A lot of bad history with christians.

But you'll be surprised what westerners practice and/or can handle. A lot mostly from traveling or military or things of that nature. Then you meet people from outside the country who belittle westerners as if we don't have a "real" culture. It's really sad. I get pet peeved about it.

But with blood rituals, of course there are cultural feelings about things that are taboo to people. If one(s) have respect and acknowledge their taboo feelings over the issue, like respecting cultural artifacts and cultural appropriation, I wouldn't see it as a problem. But then as a born and raised westerner, it's hard to really say anything. Most people talk to me cause Im a minority and such. So they tell me directly. But outside of that, of course it's a personal decision though in general, the conversation would be worth while say in religious question and answer..

I hope one day we(and I do mean we-all countries) won't be discriminative with people of different cultures-westerners included.