• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Right Handed or Left Handed?

cardero

Citizen Mod
Are you left handed or right handed? Were you forced to learn to write with your right hand when you went to school? Are some people ambidexterous? What kind of anecdotes have you heard about people who write with a preferred hand?

huajiro

Hopefully you mean "drawing" Soultype.

I am right handed....the only part of me that leans to the right, lol.

Linus

Well this thread certainly went downhill fast ;) .

Anyway, I am left handed. Can't really explain/remember why I chose that hand seeing as how I chose it so long ago... But there are two main things I do wtih my right hand: Brush my teeth, and use scissors (not my choice though, all the "lefty" scissors in school sucked).

Linus

jewscout said:
I'm right handed....but i wear my watch on right wrist and not my left like most people i know...
I do the same thing, except with the whole lefty thing. I wore it on my right wrist and everyone started asking me, "So, why do you wear you watch on your right wrist?" I didn't know so many people knew the "watch etiquette" so I just said, "Ah, forget it." So I switched back because I got sick of answering that question.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
*feels horrified* I didn't even know there was a watch ettiquette! I should have known all those classes at Aunt Ednas' Beauty'n'Charm School O'Learning were for naught!

Ambidexterous, but not to the point where I can even spell it correctly.

Fluffy

A fool
I'm right handed....but i wear my watch on right wrist and not my left like most people i know...
Same here :D. It seems much more logical to me. Then I can see the time whilst Im writing coz my hand is sticking out on the page in front of me :S. Maybe thats just me though.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
carrdero said:
Are you left handed or right handed? Were you forced to learn to write with your right hand when you went to school? Are some people ambidexterous? What kind of anecdotes have you heard about people who write with a preferred hand?
Lefties of the world unite! :D

I am left-leaning in hand, brain, and politics. I do use my right hand for sissors, guitar, and for ping-pong. (When someone was teaching me to play, they put the paddle in my right hand and I just left it there). Seeing as I don't play much guitar or ping-pong these days, I'd say I'm functionally pretty left-handed. But I can do a lot with my right.

I know people who are soooo left-handed that they have to move the computer mouse over to the left. Any lefties like that here?

It all has to do with how much your brain has been "lateralized" - the extent to which functions are assigned to the left or right side of the brain. Righties tend to be more lateralized than lefties. Lefties are split between those who are hard core lefties and those who are ambidextrous. Recessive gene with environmental influences determining the extent of "expression." very cool.

Hey carrdero, maybe you should turn this into a poll.
:D

FyreBrigidIce

Returning Noob
My mother told me that when I was little I was ambidextrous. I am not sure though.

I am right-handed but if I have to I can write with my left hand. (Sloppier than my usual sloppy handwriting)

I can have things that I have continuous contact with on my left side but when I am writing or reading something on line I lean to my right and need more room.

FBI

anders

I tried to imagine myself as ambidexterous, and sometimes for example practiced writing using my left hand, in the normal direction as well as mirror-imagedly (if there is such a word). Playing the classical aka Spanish guitar, I had to use both hands (although in different ways of course), and was rather pleased with the outcome.

After having had a stoke, affecting the right-hand part of my brain (that is, fortunately not destroying the Broca and Wernicke language centres), my left hand sometimes has a mind of its own, and there is no way that I can regain my former left hand capacity. The positive aspect is that I can always blame any missspelings on my left hand dysfunction, and now you know why there may be some confusion of the letters of the left side of the keyboard.

Any way, I have in Sweden never heard of any derogatory remarks or discrimination against or forcing lefties to use their right hands, (and mind you, this relates from the mid 1940's and onwards). The worst thing I've heard, and even that was very neutrally worded, was when my father, the merchant navy captain, referred to left-handed people as "quay-handed" (ships were, for some reason that I've forgotten, moored in harbours with their port side towards the quay).

Linus

lilithu said:
I know people who are soooo left-handed that they have to move the computer mouse over to the left. Any lefties like that here?
Yep :) . Although I grew up using a right-handed mouse, so I can do it either way. I started using a lefty mouse so I could draw on the computer and not feel awkward.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
anders said:
Any way, I have in Sweden never heard of any derogatory remarks or discrimination against or forcing lefties to use their right hands, (and mind you, this relates from the mid 1940's and onwards). The worst thing I've heard, and even that was very neutrally worded, was when my father, the merchant navy captain, referred to left-handed people as "quay-handed" (ships were, for some reason that I've forgotten, moored in harbours with their port side towards the quay).
The U.S. doesn't force kids to convert anymore. Tho in Chinese culture it is still considered a bad omen or unlucky, and my south-paw has been the source of some embarrassment for my parents when others have seen it. Obviously, if they were contientious parents, they would have beat this sinister tendency out of me. ;)

"sinister" of course, coming from the Latin, meaning 'left.'

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Linus said:
Yep :) . Although I grew up using a right-handed mouse, so I can do it either way. I started using a lefty mouse so I could draw on the computer and not feel awkward.
Yep. I can write with my right hand, but I would not be able to draw.

Strangely tho, using a computer mouse with my left hand feels foreign to me, just like the ping-pong paddle. I think I just get used to whatever I start with, unless there's a lot of fine motor skills involved (like drawing).

I'm a totally right handed person. Just as i'm pretty much totally a left-brained person. My left hand generally just holds things, and even when typing my right hand does the most. Although, going back to the whole watch thing, I too wear my watch on my right hand. Don't know why, feels better. I think i'd get confused if it was on my left hand. Drawing doesn't matter with me because I am totally and utterly hopeless at drawing. I play the piano and it always feels weird playing the melody in the left hand, should practice a bit more doing that I suppose, maybe it would even things about between my hands.