• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Right and Wrong Answers

Zorro1227

This is a spin off to an arguement in another thread about a person's questions about Genesis. So Christians, are there really right and wrong questions to ask about the Bible? I can't ask a question and get an answer unless I am asking the right question? This seems rather ridiculous to me.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
You can ask any question you please, but we are not obligated to answer them if we don't really have an answer for you. There are always different interpretations of the written word and not just religious texts. And a lot of biblical and other religious texts can be either taken literally or symbolically, depending on who is reading it.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends Zorro and Christine,
don't know if understood it correctly,
Does it mean we can ask any questions with reference to the Bible, here?

Understood responses are dependent on factors like 1,2,3 etc. thats ok

Await response to ask
Love & rgds

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
This is a spin off to an arguement in another thread about a person's questions about Genesis. So Christians, are there really right and wrong questions to ask about the Bible? I can't ask a question and get an answer unless I am asking the right question? This seems rather ridiculous to me.

Well, there are some questions that give off hostile vibes, like "Why would a loving God say we can stone our rebellious teenagers?" Questions like these tend to indicate a questioner who doesn't really want to know the answer, but just wants to prove a point. Why answer the question when you know the person asking you probably won't even consider the answer?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Well, there are some questions that give off hostile vibes, like "Why would a loving God say we can stone our rebellious teenagers?" Questions like these tend to indicate a questioner who doesn't really want to know the answer, but just wants to prove a point. Why answer the question when you know the person asking you probably won't even consider the answer?

When questions are posed like that, I usually stay out of the discussion.

Zorro1227

Friends Zorro and Christine,
don't know if understood it correctly,
Does it mean we can ask any questions with reference to the Bible, here?

Understood responses are dependent on factors like 1,2,3 etc. thats ok

Await response to ask
Love & rgds

Basically I am trying to get out of people why there are some questions that non-believers cannot ask. You can ask questions with reference to the Bible here, but do not expect an answer.

Zorro1227

You can ask any question you please, but we are not obligated to answer them if we don't really have an answer for you. There are always different interpretations of the written word and not just religious texts. And a lot of biblical and other religious texts can be either taken literally or symbolically, depending on who is reading it.

I agree that christians are not obligated to answer; however, they should not insult the OP asking the questions. I am actually very curious about the Bible and I love hearing others opinions. It is rude to assume that a question that a non-believer asks is a "loaded question". Maybe some people want some real answers because they are struggling...

Zorro1227

How do you know that person wouldn't consider the answer? I feel like that is assuming a lot about people that you do not know personally. And maybe someone would ask that question honestly. I know that I have asked questions similar to that because I am honestly interested.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
an example question would be nice.

I mean, you present the OP like there are tons and tons of questions that fit the scenario, so presenting one or two should be no problem....

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
How do you know that person wouldn't consider the answer? I feel like that is assuming a lot about people that you do not know personally. And maybe someone would ask that question honestly. I know that I have asked questions similar to that because I am honestly interested.

I think it's pretty apparent when it's an honestly asked question, and when it is not. It depends whether the question is used as a "point" in someone's argument or if it is a relative question to the topic at hand. Just use common sense, mate.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
It is a bit like taking a horse to water... You can ask any question you like but you may not get the answer you want ... or indeed any answer.

If you ask questions about Genesis, Answers will be few and far between as the book is, in many peoples opinion, in the realm of myth and allegory. It is very difficult for a modern Christian to get into the mind of an iron age Jew, and make a meaningful interpretation.

That is not because such matters have not been studied for over two thousand years, but because there is little consensus as to the meanings.

To treat the passages the same way as you might consider facts, and ask questions in a like manner, is pointless. And you will have your motives questioned for doing so.

If you make a list of such questions , you will be thought provocative.
If you ask for an interpretation of such a passage, you may receive an answer, if any one here has thought it worth while to make a study of that particular point.

Most Christians do not consider the Bible to contain only factual information. And would think it very strange for a non Christian to ask questions as if it did.

Last edited: