• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Richard Dawkins says he is a Cultural Christian

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I found this report on Dawkins, one of the world's most famous and antagonistic atheists, claiming to be a cultural Christian to be absolutely fascinating. I hope it will open up a discussion about what a cultural Christian is as opposed to a true believer, and why (perhaps) such a person would identify with Christianity as opposed to, say, Islam. Here are various quotes from two of many articles on it.

Atheist Richard Dawkins said of Christianity: “It seems to me to be a fundamentally decent religion, in a way that I think Islam is not.”....

After expressing his satisfaction at what he perceives as a decline in the number of Christians, the famous atheist noted that he “would not be happy if, for example, we lost all our cathedrals and our beautiful parish churches. So I call myself a cultural Christian and I think it would be truly dreadful if we substituted any alternative religion.”

“You know I love hymns and Christmas Carols. I feel at home in the Christian ethos. I feel that we are a Christian country in that sense”....

Dawkins’ version of atheism seems to have changed tack, and in a positive way, or at least in this interview. He has left behind the stinging attacks and is gently embracing the world that Christianity has provided....

...because secularism & Dawkins’ own brand of evangelical atheism are both expressions of a specifically Christian culture – as Dawkins himself, sitting on the branch he’s been sawing through and gazing nervously at the ground far below, seems to have begun to realise....

Richard Dawkins wants to keep the fruit of Christianity while rejecting the beliefs of Christianity....

Dawkins admits that the social good has an origins story and it is integrally tied to the Christian faith, although he is still unwilling to believe in the Divine. “There is a difference between being a believing Christian and a cultural Christian”.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I've heard of people identifying with "christian" with a small "c" as opposed to an upper-case "C." That is, they follow the basic teachings of "love thy neighbor," the Golden Rule, etc., but they're not really into the religion or the theology or the rituals or anything of that aspect. A lot of people still grew up with it and religion was an active part of their culture and upbringing. So, there might still be a certain sentimental attachment.

Perhaps it might be analogous to someone still rooting for their high school football team, even if they're no longer students or faculty there.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The vast majority of citizens of Western Europe and North America are "cultural Christians." That's what happens when one type of religion enjoys an extreme hegemony for several hundred years. It's not at all surprising that yet another citizen from these areas has been inevitably influenced by the Christian hegemony. It's far harder to avoid and extract oneself from that hegemony than to go with its flow. I'm reminded of this every time I see Christian holidays as the "default vacation" for my place of work while important meetings are scheduled on mine. So it goes, yeah?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I found this report on Dawkins, one of the world's most famous and antagonistic atheists, claiming to be a cultural Christian to be absolutely fascinating. I hope it will open up a discussion about what a cultural Christian is as opposed to a true believer, and why (perhaps) such a person would identify with Christianity as opposed to, say, Islam. Here are various quotes from two of many articles on it.

Atheist Richard Dawkins said of Christianity: “It seems to me to be a fundamentally decent religion, in a way that I think Islam is not.”....

After expressing his satisfaction at what he perceives as a decline in the number of Christians, the famous atheist noted that he “would not be happy if, for example, we lost all our cathedrals and our beautiful parish churches. So I call myself a cultural Christian and I think it would be truly dreadful if we substituted any alternative religion.”

“You know I love hymns and Christmas Carols. I feel at home in the Christian ethos. I feel that we are a Christian country in that sense”....

Dawkins’ version of atheism seems to have changed tack, and in a positive way, or at least in this interview. He has left behind the stinging attacks and is gently embracing the world that Christianity has provided....

...because secularism & Dawkins’ own brand of evangelical atheism are both expressions of a specifically Christian culture – as Dawkins himself, sitting on the branch he’s been sawing through and gazing nervously at the ground far below, seems to have begun to realise....

Richard Dawkins wants to keep the fruit of Christianity while rejecting the beliefs of Christianity....

Dawkins admits that the social good has an origins story and it is integrally tied to the Christian faith, although he is still unwilling to believe in the Divine. “There is a difference between being a believing Christian and a cultural Christian”.
It's the flavor, even if it has no substance.

It's why I think a number of people are Christian in name only out of the environment, reminiscence , and tradition while foregoing any actual belief.

I can see where Dawkins is coming from.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Perhaps "cultural Christian" is British for "refined islamophobe."
“It seems to me to be a fundamentally decent religion, in a way that I think Islam is not,” he commented.

When questioned about that statement, Dawkins said: “The way women are treated in Christianity is not great about that, it has had its problems with female vicars and female bishops, but there is an active hostility to women which is promoted I think by the holy books of Islam.”

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

... because he's been losing support among atheists, IMO.

His anti-feminism stance turned a lot of people off of him a decade ago. More recently, his anti-trans stance is alienating him to even more people... but might endear him to a segment of Christianity.

IMO, that's what's happening. He's looking for a place to be islamophobic, misogynist and anti-trans, so he's turned toward Christianity.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Well...actually I think he recognizes that his cultural mindset is the fruit of a Christian education and is proud of being raised a Christian.
But that doesn't mean that he believes in a deity.
Cultural values have nothing to do with the existence of a God somewhere.
They are based upon rationality.
:)
In my humble opinion.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
... because he's been losing support among atheists, IMO.
Well...I think that's not a very nice to say...
As I said, there are so many atheists who acknowledge the good fruits of Christian civilization and perfectly get along with Christians.
And other atheists who restlessly antagonize Christians, because they feel antipathy for them.

I guess Dawkins belongs to the first group.
His anti-feminism stance turned a lot of people off of him a decade ago. More recently, his anti-trans stance is alienating him to even more people... but might endear him to a segment of Christianity.
He is a scientist. He relies on science. Not on politics.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Well...actually I think he recognizes that his cultural mindset is the fruit of a Christian education and is proud of being raised a Christian.

He even dismissed the sexual abuse he suffered as part of that Christian education as not that big a deal.

☆Dreamwind☆

Err...this is not something I ever expected to hear someone as vitriolic as him to say. It's also a pretty screwed up thing for him to dismiss sexual abuse like that. Not just for himself, but other victims too.

My opinion of him was always somewhere between low, and indifferent anyway. His dismissal of sex abuse makes it even lower.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The vast majority of citizens of Western Europe and North America are "cultural Christians." That's what happens when one type of religion enjoys an extreme hegemony for several hundred years. It's not at all surprising that yet another citizen from these areas has been inevitably influenced by the Christian hegemony. It's far harder to avoid and extract oneself from that hegemony than to go with its flow. I'm reminded of this every time I see Christian holidays as the "default vacation" for my place of work while important meetings are scheduled on mine. So it goes, yeah?
I concur wholeheartedly. I was probably about 16 before I realized Jesus was at the core of Christianity. But before that I sure knew about Christmas trees, presents, school Christmas concerts, feasts with families, and my hero Santa Claus. Easter egg decorating was also there. It had nothing to do with this Christ guy, as far as I knew, and I saw it as a spring holiday.

muhammad_isa

When questioned about that statement, Dawkins said: “The way women are treated in Christianity is not great about that, it has had its problems with female vicars and female bishops, but there is an active hostility to women which is promoted I think by the holy books of Islam.”
I think he does not want to see change
eg. what it means to be British

He might vote for "Britain First", or agree with their ideas..

Britain First campaigns primarily against multiculturalism and what it sees as the Islamisation of the United Kingdom, and advocates the preservation of traditional British culture. It attracted attention by taking direct action such as "Christian patrols" and "invasions" of British mosques. It has been noted for its online activism
Britain_First - Wikipedia

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
He even dismissed the sexual abuse he suffered as part of that Christian education as not that big a deal.

That is debatable.

However...let's say I interview Richard Dawkins about Christianity.

I am a Christian, and he will surely tell me that the Bible is a bunch of nonsense.
But...as a Christian and as a defender of secularism, I will always defend his sacred right to say that the Bible is a bunch of nonsense.

And that's what he means by that, when he says he considers himself a cultural Christian. :)
The way he and I support each other.

Colt

I've often felt that Atheists like Dawkins have found God, they just don't know it! Their opposition against certain claims in religion or how the God of Abraham purportedly behaved are at odds with this generic God that they already know. So without realizing it Dawkins likes the spirit of God that the "perceives" in Christian fellowship. The awe of the magnificent cathedrals is something many Atheists do at least acknowledge.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That is debatable.
Is it?

"I am very conscious that you can't condemn people of an earlier era by the standards of ours. Just as we don't look back at the 18th and 19th centuries and condemn people for racism in the same way as we would condemn a modern person for racism, I look back a few decades to my childhood and see things like caning, like mild pedophilia, and can't find it in me to condemn it by the same standards as I or anyone would today. [...] I don't think he did any of us lasting harm."

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Is it?

"I am very conscious that you can't condemn people of an earlier era by the standards of ours. Just as we don't look back at the 18th and 19th centuries and condemn people for racism in the same way as we would condemn a modern person for racism, I look back a few decades to my childhood and see things like caning, like mild pedophilia, and can't find it in me to condemn it by the same standards as I or anyone would today. [...] I don't think he did any of us lasting harm."
I understand your vision. And I may agree.
But that has nothing to do with the thread...
which is about cultural Christianity.

Altfish

Veteran Member

This is not new news.
He has always said that he loves church architecture, hymns and the harmless side of Christianity (in particularly the Church of England). It is part of being British.