• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RF's Dharmic Glossary

Treks

Asking the meaning of words in a glossary thread... LOL!!

I am not familiar with a similar word in Sikhi.. daya is compassion which seems reactory wereas metta sounds pro-active. The last sentence of the communal Sikh prayer wishes goodwill upon everyone, but stops short of loving-kindness.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Asking the meaning of words in a glossary thread... LOL!!

That is its purpose. I must learn meanings before I can compile them! :yes:

I am not familiar with a similar word in Sikhi.. daya is compassion which seems reactory wereas metta sounds pro-active. The last sentence of the communal Sikh prayer wishes goodwill upon everyone, but stops short of loving-kindness.

Breathe used "metta" as part of the meaning of "Data", which is why I am asking.

By the way, maybe I misread the word? Was it supposed to be "Daya"?

I am playing a bit with the HTML and CSS. The latest version of the Sikh glossary is a bit more esthetical and includes a flag. I hope it looks good.

I'm wondering if I should perhaps keep the Sikh glossary strictly HTML from now on and present the beliefs in the order that Wikipedia uses:

1a. Simran (spiritual contemplation)
1b. Sewa (selfless service)
2. Three Pillars
2a. Naam Japo (contemplating God's names) Meditating on God's naam to control your 5 evils to eliminate suffering and live a happy life.
2b. Kirat Karo (work diligently) Earning/making a living honestly, without exploitation or fraud
2c. Vand Chhako Sharing with others, helping those with less or those who are in need
3. Five Thieves
3a. Kaam (lust)
3b. Krodh (anger)
3c. Lobh (greed)
3d. Moh (attachment, e.g. to material things or people)
3e. Hankaar (ego, pride)
4. Five Virtues
4a. Satya (truth)
4b. Santosh (contentment)
4c. Daya (compassion)
4d. Namrata (humility)
4e. Pyaar (love)

Last edited:

Treks

Oh! It was my asking YOU for the definition of 'metta' which was ironic.

Yes, it should be 'daya'. It means 'compassion'. Do you think compassion is similar in spirit to metta? They seem to be different concepts and Sikhi doesn't conceptualise it. Breathe may have a different impression. I can be very overanalytical and literal and miss subtle connections.

I like what you're doing in post 2. I should have checked it earlier! (hopes you didn't see this post pre-edit)

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Oh! It was my asking YOU for the definition of 'metta' which was ironic.

Perhaps... but it also makes the thread that much more useful. :D

Yes, it should be 'daya'. It means 'compassion'.

Thanks, I will correct it in the next update.

Do you think compassion is similar in spirit to metta? They seem to be different concepts and Sikhi doesn't conceptualise it. Breathe may have a different impression. I can be very overanalytical and literal and miss subtle connections.

I will have to think it for a while. Right now I'm inclined to simply create "Metta" in the Buddhist glossary and include a reference to partial similarity in both entries. Letting people be aware of things then deciding for themselves how to interpret them is generally a good thing.

I like what you're doing in post 2. I should have checked it earlier! (hopes you didn't see this post pre-edit)

I did. But I saw it again now, so no harm done.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Was it supposed to be "Daya"?
Whoops. Yes. :eek:

Yes, it should be 'daya'. It means 'compassion'. Do you think compassion is similar in spirit to metta? They seem to be different concepts and Sikhi doesn't conceptualise it. Breathe may have a different impression. I can be very overanalytical and literal and miss subtle connections.
I think the concept is still there, but there isn't really a term, as such, to describe it within traditional Sikh terminology.

However, Langar, daya, chardi kala, vand chakko, even kirat karo, I think, could be seen as various forms of metta manifesting, especially when have to eradicate moh (attachment) and cultivate pyaar (love).

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I'm doing little incremental additions to the texts. I want to add a bit about Hindu schools of thought and Sampradayas today or tomorrow.

Treks, I see no reason why we can't keep working on the Sikh one for as long as there is interest. That in no way precludes the maintanance of a condensed "intro" version as well.

About "Sat", I take it that its meaning of "Truth" does not change a lot between Hindu and Sikh uses?

GURSIKH

chardi kla
a very mysterious and frequently used term in Sikhi is "SHABAD" ,it literally means "WORD" ,with bit extension it means "Divine Word" ,with further extension it means "Guru /Teacher" and even Creator .

Page 27, Line 13
ਸਬਦਿ ਰਤੇ ਸੇ ਨਿਰਮਲੇ ਹਉ ਸਦ ਬਲਿਹਾਰੈ ਜਾਸੁ ॥
सबदि रते से निरमले हउ सद बलिहारै जासु ॥
Sabaḏ raṯe se nirmale ha▫o saḏ balihārai jās.
Attuned to the Word of the Shabad, they are immaculate and pure. I am forever a sacrifice to them.
Guru Amar Das -

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yes, I was asking @GURSIKH to know whether what I wrote was correct. Perhaps Gursikh would clarify when he visits us again. :)
Pyar is an Urdu word - Hindus and Sikhs will normally use Prem.
Then asking Breathe. Data (soft D) in Hindi means the giver. Normally this is a synonym for God. He is the Data (giver) and he is the kartar (the doer). Hindu/Sikh terminology differs only slightly, that too at times. It is the same as with Pali words in Buddhism or Prakrit words in Jainism. IMHO, Breathe has confused between Data and Daya.
You did not write the explanation of 'Avatara'. The word derives from 'avataran' (coming down). So when the God comes down among the people, it is an avatara.

Last edited: