• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reza Aslan

Nirvana

As I've listened to Harris he makes distinctions between religions. For the most part he's not a fan of religion, and you are correct, he is especially concerned with Islam. But so I am, and so are lots of folks. Personally, I think it's a totalitarian ideology with a small religious component, and I think we should be more critical of the Islamic worldview than we are of most other religions.[/QUOT
Every religion is a totalitarian celestial North Korea. All the religions have had their reformation. Thats why we dont see lots of Christian terrorists right now. It wouldn`t have been the same if we were living at the time of inquisition. Islam needs to be mocked but same with every religion.

Nirvana

Every religion is a totalitarian celestial North Korea. All the religions have had their reformation. Thats why we dont see lots of Christian terrorists right now. It wouldn`t have been the same if we were living at the time of inquisition. Islam needs to be mocked but same with every religion.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

I'm not 100% sure I'm catching your drift here, but whenever I've heard or read Harris on this point he always sets the context to current times. If you want to say that Islam is now where Christianity was hundreds of years ago, great, I can grant you that.

But humanity cannot withstand Islam going through the same sorts of growing pains that Christianity did - not with today's weaponry. So perhaps it's "not fair" for poor Islam to have to grow up faster, but if it doesn't we're in a super, super scary situation.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
The only problem I have with Harris is that he`s treating Islam as if its a special religion. He sounds the same as right wingers. Donald trump thinks there is something wrong with Islam! Just Islam, no, not every religion, just Islam. I find that disconcerting.

Why is that a problem? That's how more than a few people treat Islam.
  • Muslims treat Islam like its special because they believe it's the final, complete religion sent down by Allah;
  • Many on the political left in the West treat Islam like its special because they often want to shield it from any form of criticism, mockery or challenge. According to some of them, being concerned about Islam or being against it spreading must stem from some sort of racism or xenophobia.

SpaceAgeLove

Sentient
Because every other religion in the west is castrated with the exception of this one. That's why Islam is the main focus right now. They are more socially conservative and misogynistic than any republican. I use to be baffled why far-lefties defended them, but it basically comes down to "the enemy of my enemy is my friend"

Kirran

Premium Member
Well, I like him :)

He lives his own Islam, he has his own take on what Islam is and what it's about, and just because that doesn't fit how many non-Muslims feel that Muslims should approach Islam and how that should subsequently manifest doesn't make it any the less legitimate.