• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Revenge

Is revenge ever justifiable?

• Total voters

Fluffy

A fool
Inspired by a recent thread by Becky :).

Is it ever justifiable to get revenge on somebody?

If it is, what are the specific criteria, to what end or purpose does the revenge serve and to what extent should it be carried out?

If it is not, why is it not and what, if anything, should be done instead?

Bishka

Veteran Member
Fluffy said:
Inspired by a recent thread by Becky :).
Aww. Thanks a lot! Nah, just kidding you.

Fluffy said:

No, but it's wayyyy to much fun!

Fluffy said:

Talk it out, yell, scream, if you bottle it inside you'll want to plan revenge.

Ðanisty

I believe that it can be justifiable. Sometimes, for some reason, justice fails to work and revenge is simply an alternative to force that justice.

PureX

Veteran Member
The real problem with vengeance is that it only inspires more vengeance. Isn't the middle east a good enough example of why not to follow the course of vengeance?

There is a difference between defense and revenge, and it's a crucial difference. Too bad we so seldom recognize or understand the difference.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It can be justifiable.
If it will cause more vengance seeking, than it's better to find another route to take.
If it will not cuase more vengance seeking, as in the target is humiliated, beaten, embarassed, etc., to want to try anything else, then it is justifiable.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Threatening revenge is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Revenge is the cause which generates the effect of more of the same visited back on you. How many revenge stories end with "and they all lived happily ever after"? Just think, where would the Middle East be today WITHOUT the concept of revenge?

cardero

Citizen Mod
Fluffy writes: Inspired by a recent thread by Becky
Becky? Really.

Fluffy writes: Is it ever justifiable to get revenge on somebody?
The only problem with getting revenge on another person is that it works best when the person who is doing the enacting wants to make it perfectly clear to the person they are enacting revenge on, it seems important that the person getting revenge know exactly where it is coming from and why. Unless you kill the person you are getting revenge on, this creates a reason for retaliation which can only lead to more hurt feeling and possible bodily harm to you or other people who are not involved in your vendetta. If the person enacts revenge on another person anonymously, four months later after the injustice has been done it really doesn’t feel like vengeance. Solution? Think out your revenge but never act on it, think of all the ways you would like to get back at a person until you get tired of coming up with different and interesting ways. You stay out of much unnecessary trouble, safe in the knowledge that therein lies a great possibility the other person will not live a fortunate, forgiving, loving life as you.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I agree with those who point to the Middle East as an example of revenge in action. There is very little wisdom in revenge.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

No.

If it is, what are the specific criteria, to what end or purpose does the revenge serve and to what extent should it be carried out?

Revenge does no good; it does nothing more than make one feel better, and sometimes not even that. Talking should be done, coming to an understanding.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Many cultures appear to believe that it is justifiable . An eye for an eye . a tooth for a tooth ....

All that I know is that all we seem quite able to justify it when the chips are down . { well , most of us .... :) }

PureX

Veteran Member
Shadow Wolf said:
It can be justifiable.
If it will cause more vengance seeking, than it's better to find another route to take.
If it will not cuase more vengance seeking, as in the target is humiliated, beaten, embarassed, etc., to want to try anything else, then it is justifiable.
But how could we possibly know this up front?

PureX

Veteran Member
kreeden said:
Many cultures appear to believe that it is justifiable . An eye for an eye . a tooth for a tooth ....

All that I know is that all we seem quite able to justify it when the chips are down . { well , most of us .... :) }
Yes. We wanted vengeance for 9/11 so badly that we attacked a country that had nothing to do with it. And look where that's gotten us.

cardero

Citizen Mod
PureX said:
Yes. We wanted vengeance for 9/11 so badly that we attacked a country that had nothing to do with it. And look where that's gotten us.
Not to mention where it is going to get us.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Hey , don't shoot me , I'm only an ogre . ;) Just pointing out that while most say that revenge is wrong , our soceity and laws are based upon the concept , for the most part .

Now as for being " justifiable ". Merriam-Webster defines " justifiable " as " capable of being justified ". { and defines justify as " being showned to be just , right or reasonable ; shown to have sufficient legal reason }.

Now , considering our laws , I would have to assume that revenge is justifiable . But please , don't stone me for that assumption . :eek:

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Hmmm ? If all that it takes is a legal reason , then I would gave to say that revenge could always be justifiable .

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
Interesting thread.

It just occurred to me, some of the best scenes in cinema revolve around vengeance, you know when somebody is falsely accused of something, then the culprit who framed them gets their comeuppance.

But in movies as IRL, the coolest scenes are when the good guy doesn't have to do ANYthing, and Karma takes care of the situation in full view of everyone.

I used to be really good at exacting revenge, very creative sometimes if I do say so.

Since I was captured by the hound of Heaven, I have found myself incapable of doing it, not for lack of trying, (old habits die hard) but I quickly became aware that the old spark was completely gone and my "hand was stayed". I am not only not allowed, I am -- stopped.

Vengeance is Mine, said the Lord. And He's welcome to it. :yes:

cardero

Citizen Mod
Moon Woman writes: It just occurred to me, some of the best scenes in cinema revolve around vengeance, you know when somebody is falsely accused of something, then the culprit who framed them gets their comeuppance.

This is true, it is a great story device to promote conflict.
Moon Woman writes: Vengeance is Mine, said the Lord. And He's welcome to it.
Yes but it is a dish best served hot, not after we are dead and cold.

Ðanisty

Engyo said:
Threatening revenge is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Revenge is the cause which generates the effect of more of the same visited back on you. How many revenge stories end with "and they all lived happily ever after"? Just think, where would the Middle East be today WITHOUT the concept of revenge?
Only if you don't do it right. ;)

Willamena said:
Revenge does no good; it does nothing more than make one feel better, and sometimes not even that. Talking should be done, coming to an understanding.
Oh, I would say making me feel better is plenty, although revenge can accomplish more than that. Also, there are situations where I simply don't want to talk or come to an understanding.

Moon Woman said:
It just occurred to me, some of the best scenes in cinema revolve around vengeance, you know when somebody is falsely accused of something, then the culprit who framed them gets their comeuppance.
Not just cinema, but books as well.

But in movies as IRL, the coolest scenes are when the good guy doesn't have to do ANYthing, and Karma takes care of the situation in full view of everyone.
Oh, I have to strongly disagree. I much prefer a calculated and carefully exacted personal revenge...think Count of Monte Cristo.

opuntia

Religion is Law
Revenge is never justifiable because it is basically taking the law into your own hands and meting out presumed justice. We are flawed and passionate and sometimes act irrational in the heat of anger or hate; although being an executioner may satisfy someone for the moment, it will not feel good when facing the Revenger himself, who said, "To me belongeth vengeance" (Deut. 32:35; KJV). And said Paul to the wounded souls, "Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord." (Rom. 12:19).

We may find at that Last Day that we have taken upon ourselves God's position when enacting revenge and God is jealous of His authority. So if anyone is prepared to pay the price that will be exacted on the human avenger, they may avenge--but the price may be too high. Taking His Judgment is no small thing or disobeying His word on vengeance.