• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Revelations, Prophecies and Prediction

Heyo

Veteran Member
Thesis:
Almost all (>98%) prophecies and revelations are trivial, unfalsifiable or wrong.

Method:
Those of you who hear the "voice of god" (god of your choice), please share your revealed knowledge here.
Those who don't hear the "voice of god", please share your predictions based on science and logic.
To avoid cluttering please only share falsifiable and non-trivial revelations and predictions. (That seems counter-intuitive as I want to show that most revelation is trivial or non-verifiable but I know that they will be here anyway.)
You may also post prophecies from other sources (e.g. preachers on YouTube) when you believe them to be credible.

Criteria:
At any given time (this will be a rolling result, updated every time a prediction/revelation comes true or fails to come true at the due date), if there are more than 2% of revelations/prophecies which are non-trivial that have come true, the thesis has failed.

Definitions:
Revelations and prophecies are claims about a future event (the published findings of an, until then, unknown prior event, in the future is also a future event) that the poster claims has been revealed to them by some supernatural source.

Predictions are claims about a future event that the poster has derived at through interpolation of known data (and posts that source).

Trivial revelations are either things that don't effect more than a handful of people (you found your car key where the voice in head said it would be) or things that are easy to predict without revelation (the sun will rise tomorrow).

Unfalsifiable claims are those which have no due date (or that date is in the far future) or they are so vague that there is no real "fail" criterion.

Now, let the experiment begin.

Last edited:

danieldemol

Premium Member
Thesis:
Almost all (>98%) prophecies and revelations are trivial, unfalsifiable or wrong.

Method:
Those of you who hear the "voice of god" (god of your choice), please share your revealed knowledge here.
Those who don't hear the "voice of god", please share your predictions based on science and logic.
To avoid cluttering please only share falsifiable and non-trivial revelations and predictions. (That seems counter-intuitive as I want to show that most revelation is trivial or non-verifiable but I know that they will be here anyway.)

Criteria:
At any given time (this will be a rolling result, updated every time a prediction/revelation comes true or fails to come true at the due date), if there are more than 2% of revelations/prophecies which are non-trivial that have come true, the thesis has failed.

Definitions:
Revelations and prophecies are claims about a future event (the published findings of an, until then, unknown prior event, in the future is also a future event) that the poster claims has been revealed to them by some supernatural source.

Predictions are claims about a future event that the poster has derived at through interpolation of known data (and posts that source).

Trivial revelations are either things that don't effect more than a handful of people (you found your car key where the voice in head said it would be) or things that are easy to predict without revelation (the sun will rise tomorrow).

Unfalsifiable claims are those which have no due date (or that date is in the far future) or they are so vague that there is no real "fail" criterion.

Self fulfilling prophecies should also be accounted as trivial.

In my opinion.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Prediction: There will be no coup or other event that will put Donald Trump back into the White House as President in 2021.
Due date: 2021-12-31
Non-trivial because: there is a significant minority in the US who believe he will.
Reason: Trumps return has been prophetised multiple times but it has always failed. Trump has insulted the military so often that they won't be on his side, they may actively intervene if Trumpists try to overthrow the government by force.

RestlessSoul

It has been revealed to me that Mo Forza will win the Breeder’s Cup Turf Mile at Del Mar today.

This is not a divine revelation, but the laws of probability dictate that the 5/1 on offer with U.K. bookmakers is a steal.

Heyo

Veteran Member
It has been revealed to me that Mo Forza will win the Breeder’s Cup Turf Mile at Del Mar today.

This is not a divine revelation, but the laws of probability dictate that the 5/1 on offer with U.K. bookmakers is a steal.
With a 5/1 offer by the bookies this is a trivial revelation - very few people are doubting it.

RestlessSoul

With a 5/1 offer by the bookies this is a trivial revelation - very few people are doubting it.

The odds suggest that 83.33% of bettors doubt it; only 16.66% think it will win.

The bookie’s 5 to my 1 is not a trivial return imo.

PureX

Veteran Member
Since nearly all such offerings have to be interpreted. Their accuracy depends on their interpretation (almost always after the fact). Which pretty much renders them pointless.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
There will be a total eclipse of the sun on April 8, 2024. The path of the moon's shadow will start in the Pacific Ocean, move across Mexico and into the US, crossing into Canada and Nova Scotia. Totality at the Mississippi river will begin at 1:58:15 PM and will last 4 minutes and 5 seconds there.

This is a prediction, by the way.

Last edited:

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thesis:

Method:
You may also post prophecies from other sources (e.g. preachers on YouTube) when you believe them to be credible.

Criteria:

Definitions:

I'm reminded of 1989, when the the USSR collapsed and (in November) the Berlin Wall came down, taking the world by serious surprise. Later someone did a survey of New Year Predictions for 1989 by those in the (US) Psychics and Astrologers Industry who publish such things. Not one of the Big Guns foretold anything like it, not one of the middle-rankers, and at first it looked like a perfect zero, but (as I remember it) then someone pointed out a sort of might be kind of if you close one eye "prediction" in some or other local paper.

It was only one of the major geopolitical happenings of the latter 20th century, so no wonder they missed it.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There will be a total eclipse of the sun on April 8, 2024. The path of the moon's shadow will start in the Pacific Ocean, move across Mexico and into the US, crossing into Canada and Nova Scotia. Totality at the Mississippi rive will begin at 1:58:15 PM and will last 4 minutes and 5 seconds there.

This is a prediction, by the way.
Sure, but everyone knows if it's cloudy it doesn't count.

muhammad_isa

There are many, many signs of the coming doom [ end-times ].

Are they all vague?
Is climate-change and its associated calamities vague?
Is the predictions of modern technology 1500 years ago vague?

..your post reminds me of a loaded dice..
I assume you have already decided that it's all b*******

Heyo

Veteran Member
There are many, many signs of the coming doom [ end-times ].

Are they all vague?
Is climate-change and its associated calamities vague?
Is the predictions of modern technology 1500 years ago vague?

..your post reminds me of a loaded dice..
I assume you have already decided that it's all b*******
Make an exceptional prophecy and convince me otherwise.

muhammad_isa

Make an exceptional prophecy and convince me otherwise.

I'm not a prophet.
You can find the info about Islamic predictions of the end-times
from "google", if you are interested.

The one about "tall buildings" springs to mind.
..and also the one about everybody having to have bank accounts..

They are too numerous to mention here..

The first "skyscraper" was built in Chicago in 1885..
If we look at Macca, Saudia Arabia today, we see a massive clock tower..

The building complex is metres away from the world's largest mosque and Islam's most sacred site, the Great Mosque of Mecca. The developer and contractor of the complex is the Saudi Binladin Group, the Kingdom's largest construction company. It is the world's second most expensive building, with the total cost of construction totalling US$15 billion.
-wiki-

oh boy! :(

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member
The one about "tall buildings" springs to mind.
..and also the one about everybody having to have bank accounts..

They are too numerous to mention here..
And they are not what is interesting here. I'm not interested in old prophecies and the debate whether they came true or not. This is an experiment with predictions that will become true in the near future. You don't have to make them yourself and if there is a prediction in the Qur'an that has a due date in the near future, you are welcome to post it. Otherwise the Qur'an is worthless for us.

muhammad_isa

This is an experiment with predictions that will become true in the near future..

OK .. I see.
I suppose it depends what you mean "in the near future".
Personally, I can tell you that climate-catastrophes will become
more regular, for example, but I have no dates in particular
when these events will occur. :oops: