• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Respectful Question

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
I have been wondering this for a while, and if it has already been discussed forgive me. I couldn't find it, and the search engine is not all that helpful it seems.

Is it true that one of the major differences between Islam and Christianity is the crucifixion of Jesus? If I remember correctly I was taught that Muslims do not believe Jesus was actually crucified and died for everyones sins, which was one of the corruptions of the Bible done by men. I know he is held as a prophet though.

So firstly, is this true?

If so, what happened instead, and how does Islam view the whole concept of needing someone to die for the sins of the world?

Don't worry. You can be as blunt as you want with me. I don't get huffy about this stuff:pI want to learn about this.

EiNsTeiN

Boo-h!
Thanks for the question :)

First of all, in Islam, sins are not inherited, and thus, the whole "sins of the humanity" concept doesn't apply in Islam..

This means that crucifixion of Jesus for the sake of our sins is not a valid claim in the Islamic percpective..

Second, Jesus (PBUH) is considered a prophet in Islam, and not the son of God as christianity claims.

Third, we believe that the guy crucified there was not Jesus, but somebody else who God made him look like Jesus...While the actual Jesus was raised up to heavens (not died though)..

We believe Jesus will return again and fight the anti-christ and defeat him, then announce that he is a muslim..

mmm...I think thats pretty much what we got about the issue...

Hope I helped :)

Sahar

The issue of trinity; one is three and three is one, the issue of the son of God, raising Jesus to a divine status, God becoming a man or the fully man, fully God thing, a person dies for the sins of other people, all of this is rejected in Islam and opposes firm Islamic principles not to mention that Christians themselves are not able to explain a concept like the trinity.

Islam is clear and simple. God is one, unique and has no opposite and no partners, so He is not two or three or any number whether all of them are manifestations of the same entity or three separate persons but the same God....etc.
God is the Creator and the creator is distinct from the creation. Thus the "son of god" concept is absolutely rejected. Mortals try to extend through their off-springs but if God is eternal and self-sufficient, for what His need to any son would be?
The relationship between God and us is the relationship of a creator and creatures, is the relationship of Ilah (the only One who deserve to be worshiped) and 'Abeed (who worship and submit to Him and belong to Him). As all in the Heavens and Earth belong to Allah, there isn't any place for anyone to be His son.
"O People of the Book! Commit no excesses in your religion: Nor say of Allah aught but the truth. Christ Jesus the son of Mary was (no more than) an apostle of Allah, and His Word, which He bestowed on Mary, and a spirit proceeding from Him: so believe in Allah and His apostles. Say not "Trinity" : desist: it will be better for you: for Allah is one Allah. Glory be to Him: (far exalted is He) above having a son. To Him belong all things in the heavens and on earth. And enough is Allah as a Disposer of affairs." An-Nisa': 171

The other point Islam establishes the values of justice thus personal and individual responsibility and accountability for actions is a fundamental Islamic concept. There is nothing called God tortures a person for sins of other people. Every one is held responsible and accountable for his own actions. Plus, when someone commit a mistake or a sin, all what he/she has to do is to repent which means stopping the sin and ask forgiveness from God and his/her sins will be abolished, not just this but "Unless he repents, believes, and works righteous deeds, for Allah will change the evil of such persons into good, and Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful" Al Furqan: 70
If Adam committed a sin, then he is the only one responsible for his sin. In addition, God basically forgave him. So a concept like the "original sin" is refuted according to Islam and would be very unjust.

Jesus wasn't killed or crucified, whether his body and soul were raised to Heaven or his soul only after death, this detail is not clear in the Qur'an:
"That they said (in boast), "We killed Christ Jesus the son of Mary, the Messenger of Allah.;- but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them, and those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge, but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they killed him not" An-Nisa'

"Behold! Allah said: "O Jesus! I will take thee and raise thee to Myself and clear thee (of the falsehoods) of those who blaspheme; I will make those who follow thee superior to those who reject faith, to the Day of Resurrection: Then shall ye all return unto me, and I will judge between you of the matters wherein ye dispute." Ali Imran

Sahar

He he... I submitted the same post three times and I didn't know because of the slooooooow internet. I wonder who cut the internet cable?! lol!!!

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
First of all, in Islam, sins are not inherited, and thus, the whole "sins of the humanity" concept doesn't apply in Islam..

This means that crucifixion of Jesus for the sake of our sins is not a valid claim in the Islamic percpective..
Second, Jesus (PBUH) is considered a prophet in Islam, and not the son of God as christianity claims.
I always wondered who Pbuh was! LOL! I always thought it referred to someone else.

We believe Jesus will return again and fight the anti-christ and defeat him, then announce that he is a muslim..
:cool:Cool.

Islam is clear and simple. God is one, unique and has no opposite and no partners, so He is not two or three or any number whether all of them are manifestations of the same entity or three separate persons but the same God....etc.
That is pretty simple.:)

The other point Islam establishes the values of justice thus personal and individual responsibility and accountability for actions is a fundamental Islamic concept. There is nothing called God tortures a person for sins of other people. Every one is held responsible and accountable for his own actions. Plus, when someone commit a mistake or a sin, all what he/she has to do is to repent which means stopping the sin and ask forgiveness from God and his/her sins will be abolished, not just this but....

If Adam committed a sin, then he is the only one responsible for his sin. In addition, God basically forgave him. So a concept like the "original sin" is refuted according to Islam and would be very unjust.
That I definately respect and like. I have always thought the idea of torturing someone or something for the sins of another was "backwards," to put it nicely.

One more question:

How does the Quaran escape the corruption of people? Are there measures taken to guard agianst it ending up with the same fate as the Bible and such?

Thank You:)

Sahar

The point is the Qur'an is available for every one and understanding it available for anyone too. And there are many Muslims who memorize the entire Qur'an. Even when you learn how to recite the Qur'an, you learn how to pronounce each letter just like how the prophet pbuh (peace be upon him) did.
There are religious Islamic institutions that supervise the Qur'an copies. Some non Muslims tried before to "invent" a new "Qur'an" and changing the original one but these copies were censored and even if they could reach the Muslim markets, they were removed immediately.
There is not any Muslim who dare to change any letter from the Qur'an.

"We have, without doubt, sent down the Message; and We will assuredly guard it (from corruption)." Qur'an ( Al Hijr:9)
God promised that He Himself will guard the Qur'an, its right interpretation and the right understanding of it against any corruption.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Third, we believe that the guy crucified there was not Jesus, but somebody else who God made him look like Jesus...While the actual Jesus was raised up to heavens (not died though)..
Why would God do this?

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
Yes... is that correct? Did God/Allah trick the people into thinking Jesus was crucified? Which is pretty much how Einstien made that sound... and if so, is there an explanation?

I had always assumed that from a Muslim perspective the idea of the crucifixion was all derived from the corrupted portions of the Bible.

Thank You Mestemia;). That thought was there I just couldn't grasp it.

Sahar

"That they said (in boast), "We killed Christ Jesus the son of Mary, the Messenger of Allah.;- but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them, and those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge, but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they killed him not" An-Nisa'
They (the Jews who wanted to kill Jesus) thought they killed him but the Qur'an refutes this claim saying Jesus wasn't killed or crucified. There are many stories in this issue especially about the one who was crucified and killed (and who was given the resemblance of Jesus) and I think there is no need for them. The most important thing, Christians say that Jesus was crucified and Muslims say it wasn't Jesus who was crucified and killed.

McBell

They (the Jews who wanted to kill Jesus) thought they killed him but the Qur'an refutes this claim saying Jesus wasn't killed or crucified. There are many stories in this issue especially about the one who was crucified and killed (and who was given the resemblance of Jesus) and I think there is no need for them. The most important thing, Christians say that Jesus was crucified and Muslims say it wasn't Jesus who was crucified and killed.
The question was why God would make someone else look like Jesus and have him be crucified whilst secretly bringing Jesus back to heaven.
Your reply does not answer the question.

Sahar

Maybe because I wasn't answering the "why" question, LOL.
"Behold! Allah said: "O Jesus! I will take thee and raise thee to Myself and clear thee (of the falsehoods) of those who blaspheme; I will make those who follow thee superior to those who reject faith, to the Day of Resurrection: Then shall ye all return unto me, and I will judge between you of the matters wherein ye dispute." Ali Imran
I don't know why it was this way, specifically, to save Jesus. Maybe any of my brothers and sisters who have more knowledge on the subject can tell us the wisdom behind this if possible. But I personally don't know.

McBell

Maybe because I wasn't answering the "why" question, LOL.
I don't know why it was this way, specifically, to save Jesus. Maybe any of my brothers and sisters who have more knowledge on the subject can tell us the wisdom behind this if possible. But I personally don't know.
Fair enough.
I do not know either.
that is why I was asking. :)

Sahar

Mestemia after your question I am not be able to say "waiting for more questions"!!:eek:
:p he he...

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
There is wide speculation that the person who was made to be crucified in the place of Jesus was Judas Iscariot, the traitor. It seems likely because he was the one who directly was the cause of Jesus' apparent capture and murder. However, although it seems likely to me it is just speculation. There are to my knowledge no hadith nor is it mentioned in Quran the name of the person. It could have been Judas, or it could have been one of the officers come to kill him. Either way, I think I can positively believe that whoever it may have been, this person was not an innocent person. The reason why I think so is because the entire miracle would have been designed to prevent the killing of an innocent man who had not commited any crimes , so it seems unfathomable to me that Allah would allow the very thing He performed a miracle to prevent; the killing of an innocent man in place of another.

jay kassem

befor jesus was going to get cucified he asked his companions who is willing to take my spot and get crucified and one person stood UP AND WAS WILLING TO TAKE HIS SPOT THEN GOD CHANGED THE PERSONS FACE TO MAKE HIM LOOK LIKE JESUS. SO THE PERSON WHO WAS CRUCIFIED INSTEAD OF JESUS WAS A WILLING SUBJECT. BY THE WAY PBUH STANDS FOR PEACE BE UPON HIM WHICH MUSLIMS SAY AFTER EXCLAIMING A THE PROPHETS NAME
i hope this answeres your questions properly
and i hope god guides u to the right path ( islam)

McBell

What is the source of this belief?

and WHY would God participate in the lie of changing the face?

What did Jesus do after he was saved?
where did he go?

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
befor jesus was going to get cucified he asked his companions who is willing to take my spot and get crucified and one person stood UP AND WAS WILLING TO TAKE HIS SPOT THEN GOD CHANGED THE PERSONS FACE TO MAKE HIM LOOK LIKE JESUS. SO THE PERSON WHO WAS CRUCIFIED INSTEAD OF JESUS WAS A WILLING SUBJECT. BY THE WAY PBUH STANDS FOR PEACE BE UPON HIM WHICH MUSLIMS SAY AFTER EXCLAIMING A THE PROPHETS NAME
i hope this answeres your questions properly
and i hope god guides u to the right path ( islam)

What is your daleel/proof/source for that information if you wouldn't mind providing that? I have never heard that before, but I don't know everything either and it's a bunch of stuff I ain't never heard before.

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
*whisper*

Pbuh isn't a person. It's short for "peace be upon him."

:eek: Whoopsie. Good to know. That makes sense. Why when I see it do I automatically think it is pronounced like, Pooh-buh? I am just a tard. Thats all there is to it. If someone wouldn't have cleared that up for me I'd have ended up thinking it was Pooh Bear or something. Don't mind me....