• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Respect

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
What are your feelings on giving people respect? Do you believe that when you first meet someone you should at least give them some respect, or should it be earned from the very start? What things truly make you lose respect for someone, and what helps you gain respect for someone? Can people make up for the loss of respect?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
When I've had discussions like this, it has often come out during its course that "respect" means different things to different people. When I speak of "respect" I am often speaking of basic, common sense courtesy required for any kind of civilized discourse between people. Put another way, it's about not being a bigot and an *** hole to everybody you encounter in life. Respect can also mean, however, deserving of honor, reverence, worship, or prestige in a grander sense than basic civil courtesies. Where I've gotten in arguments with people over this topic, it is usually because I am seeing respect as common sense courtesy and they are seeing respect in this second sense.

Giving respect - as in basic courtesy - to all people is required for most meaningful social interactions. Unless, granted, your idea of meaningful social interaction consists of being a pain in the *** to everyone and being a general jerk. Giving respect - as in a high honor and reverence - is generally not something that is given without merit. That is perfectly understandable.

As for loss of respect, me treating someone with respect - as in basic common courtesy - has less to do with them that it does with me. My behavior reflects on me, and I'm not going to dishonor myself by being an *** to someone just because I can. That desire often (but not always) represents personal weakness or a lack of virtue that needs to be corrected. In general, I'm one of those people that you have to go out of your way to aggravate for me to rescind my Code of Honor from applying to you. Simply disagreeing or having a different perspective isn't enough. I'll disagree, perhaps heatedly, but I still respect and accept you as a human being. The other loss of respect - as in high honor and reverence - is different. It's more freely taken and given. For example, if someone claims they are part of a Gardnerian coven, I might look to them (respectfully) as an authority on that tradition. If I later find out they lied, they'd loose that authority and respect. I'll forgive you for being a liar - we're all only humans after all - but I will remember that you lied. The next time you claim you are part of a lineaged tradition I am probably not going to take you at your word.

Erebus

Giving respect - as in basic courtesy - to all people is required for most meaningful social interactions. Unless, granted, your idea of meaningful social interaction consists of being a pain in the *** to everyone and being a general jerk. Giving respect - as in a high honor and reverence - is generally not something that is given without merit. That is perfectly understandable.

This is pretty much how I see it. You don't need to think very highly of somebody for them to warrant basic manners on your behalf. It's only when somebody betrays that courtesy that you should bring out the guns so to speak.

Beyond basic courtesy, which in my opinion is more for the ease and comfort of yourself than for the person you extend it to, very few people warrant awe. Those who do, tend not to ask for it, they simply have the wisdom, experience or charisma to earn it.

Lost respect is seldom earned back in my experience. I'm usually happy to forgive people who actually acknowledge their error and apologize, but some things can never be forgotten.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Deep respect should be earned but everyone should be treated respectfully or courtesly...though some people will lose that

Ohh seems we all said mostly the same thing...

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
To all my friends on the RF. Respect is earned, it is not an automatic title. I know that to some of you I am some-what of a bewildering fellow. Yes, I am a life long adherent of LHP philosophy and Magic, but I am also a musician and composer. This is my True Will in Life, I seek it above all other Magical transformations in my Life. It matters not to me if my magical music is inspired by other composers such as Beethoven or Chopin, or Yanni or Dark Funeral... it is me, I am the one who created my own music in accordance with my own classical training and life long musical asthetic, as I am the composer of my own Will.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\

Last edited:

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
So you do not give someone benefit of the doubt respect at first?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
What are your feelings on giving people respect? Do you believe that when you first meet someone you should at least give them some respect, or should it be earned from the very start? What things truly make you lose respect for someone, and what helps you gain respect for someone? Can people make up for the loss of respect?
Respect is earned. Most of the ways people lose my respect is through willful denial and lack of control. Both have obvious solutions that instantly gain double respect points. If someone learns from a fault, that is much more respectful than not changing at all...

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Respect is generated only through jealousy, fear, lack of wealth, or some other undesirable state -- if I want someone to respect me generally I want control. Otherwise, what does it really matter? Treating someone according to the basic conventions in society has nothing to do with this. Admiration is another thing... it is possible to admire someone and not respect them very much... I feel this way about LaVey really -- several aspects I admire, but I wouldn't ever really want to know him in person living or dead. In fact, I think if I had done so I'd admire him even less. His books and ideas were pretty good, but his personal life was a complete shamble and not really something write home about.

Orias

Left Hand Path
What are your feelings on giving people respect?

Respect earned is respect given.

If I am respected I show respect back. How much is based on the other person and their attitude.

Do you believe that when you first meet someone you should at least give them some respect, or should it be earned from the very start?

A little at first, but heart felt respect must be earned.

What things truly make you lose respect for someone, and what helps you gain respect for someone?

Attitude, beliefs, competence, etc etc.

Its all very subjective

Can people make up for the loss of respect?

Yes, but it can be difficult depending on how far of a hole one has dug themselves into.

Orias

Left Hand Path
Respect is more like doubt, the awareness of another's capabilities. The potential that you could be wrong, and that advice is easier to absorb.

It may or may not have anything to do with fear, jealousy, or control but it most certainly does have to do with action, and how one is apprehensive of the matter.

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm
I'm very cynical against people in general. I tend to be kind to people, sure, and I have a certain basic respect for them as part of the animal kingdom (you read that right :D). But true respect is something very rare to me and takes to long to achieve I'm not quite sure what to tell about gaining it. I get fond of people pretty fast, but that isn't the same thing.

Losing the respect? That has so much to do with how someone's gained it in the first place that I really can't say anything specific. I might ponder this further for a few days.

Twig pentagram

High Priest
I think everyone deserves a certain amount of respect.

flame93

Respect is generated only through jealousy, fear, lack of wealth, or some other undesirable state -- if I want someone to respect me generally I want control. Otherwise, what does it really matter? Treating someone according to the basic conventions in society has nothing to do with this. Admiration is another thing... it is possible to admire someone and not respect them very much... I feel this way about LaVey really -- several aspects I admire, but I wouldn't ever really want to know him in person living or dead. In fact, I think if I had done so I'd admire him even less. His books and ideas were pretty good, but his personal life was a complete shamble and not really something write home about.

Very interesting definition, I like this eye opening posts. Same thing I feel about Crowley, it is interesting how people expect that people which they admire, also fit to their social norms. This is maybe why all prophets that vast majority of people admire, are not known by their personal lives.

apophenia

Respect is generated only through jealousy, fear, lack of wealth, or some other undesirable state -- if I want someone to respect me generally I want control. Otherwise, what does it really matter?

"Love is a spiritual concept based on trust, respect, and compassion and is unconditional. I think the mainstream religions have lost something in translation. Hail Satan! "

That's your sig.

" I think the mainstream religions have lost something in translation." !!!

Now reconcile that with your post.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Respect is generated only through jealousy, fear, lack of wealth, or some other undesirable state -- if I want someone to respect me generally I want control. Otherwise, what does it really matter? Treating someone according to the basic conventions in society has nothing to do with this. Admiration is another thing... it is possible to admire someone and not respect them very much... I feel this way about LaVey really -- several aspects I admire, but I wouldn't ever really want to know him in person living or dead.

I don't agree with this post. Respect is considering someone or something worthy of holding in high regard or esteem. It is not about fear or about jealousy. Admiration is about a feeling of delighted or astonished approbation. It has nothing to do with jealousy or fear, these things don't even enter into the equation.

I respect and admire those I have found worthy of my friendship because of their likemindedness and their many other talents, and again jealousy and fear do not even enter into the equation. When it comes to love and friendship it is about mutual respect and admiration in the definition of those two words which are basically the same. It is not about jealousy or fear. If jealousy does enter into it it is only in a very minute way, such as being a little envious of someone's talent because they might be more advanced than I am on the piano keyboard, which can be rectified by my practicing a little harder on my own technique. But fear? No, I don't think so. :sarcastic Furthermore, what is meant by "undesirable state"? Also, yes, I do respect and admire the Lord of Darkness, but even though He is more advanced in Power, knowledge, and Understanding, and more ancient than I am, I am not jealous of Him, nor do I fear Him. Rather I aspire with joy to emulate Him in the Evolution of my own Being - and that State of Being is very desirable to me.

Or perhaps, Mindmaster, I am some how completely missing the point of your post. :shrug:

Xeper and Remanifest.
/Adramelek\

Last edited: