• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Researching religion

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
So I looked at one of my notebooks from when I tried to take notes while researching...unfortunely I can't read my own handwritting and so I've decided to restart researching major religions. This time I'm typing up stuff. So here are my questions to help me out:
1. Whats your religion?
2.what are some major sects of the religion you follow?
3.Important figures?
4. Major beliefs most people of your religion follow?
5. Important scriptures if any?
6.Fun fact about religion?
7.Books that can help with a deeper understanding? Keep in mind I have very little money and will most likely look for a pdf online or stop at a library.
8. Reliable YouTube channels and websites?
9. Favorite thing about your religion?
10. Important places?
11.important events in history?
12.what holidays do you celeabrate?
13. What are some important practicesor symbols of your beliefs?
14. Anything else you'd think be useful for me to know or like to share?

I also would like to know if you are ok with being pmed if I have further questions.Act as if I know nothing when answering questions.

Last edited:

Altfish

Veteran Member
So I looked at one of my notebooks from when I tried to take notes while researching...unfortunely I can't read my own handwritting and so I've decided to restart researching major religions. This time I'm typing up stuff. So here are my questions to help me out:
1. Whats your religion?
3.Important figures?
7.Books that can help with a deeper understanding? Keep in mind I have very little money and will most likely look for a pdf online or stop at a library.
10. Important places?
11.important events?

I also would like to know if you are ok with being pmed if I have further questions

1. Whats your religion? None, I'm an atheist
2.what are some major sects of the religion you follow? Be good to fellow human beings, the planet and all life on it.
3.Important figures? 42
4. Major beliefs most people of your religion follow? There is no god; live life on that basis
5. Important scriptures if any? None
6.Fun fact about religion? We don't have to go to church
7.Books that can help with a deeper understanding? Keep in mind I have very little money and will most likely look for a pdf online or stop at a library. The Little Book of Humanism
8. Reliable YouTube channels and websites? There are many - Potholer is a good start
9. Favorite thing about your religion? I can think for myself
10. Important places? Jodrell Bank
11.important events? Towel Day
12.what holidays do you celeabrate? Christmas, May Day, Darwin Day
13. What are some important practicesor symbols of your beliefs? I don't think I have any, Darwin's Fish maybe
14. Anything else you'd think be useful for me to know or like to share? Beer

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
1. Whats your religion?
Christianity

Protestants, Catholics, Orthodox

3.Important figures?
Jesus of Nazareth - the Christ

Accepting Christ as your Lord and Saviour clears the debt of your sins, meaning you don't have to be punished for them - if you repent and have faith

The New Testament of the Christian bible

The Old Testament too, but not so much. I'm not really interested in the OT, for me that's more background and most of my attention is on the NT

dunno!

Christianity For Dummies is good

I got that when I first became interested in Christianity

Check out a guy named Allen Parr

I think he's very good

We get to drink wine :D

But more seriously, my favourite thing about it is that it is true (IMO)

10. Important places?
My church

Easter and Christmas

The symbol of the cross

It's a very simple religion, at the centre of it is the narrative of "The Gospel" - which translates from Greek as "Good News", if you're interested in learning more I suggest you start there

Feel free to PM me if you want

VoidCat

I suspect you and I have wildly different ideas of what warrants the term "research."
Reading taking notes if possible...looking up stuff on computer if needed. Comparing books as well. Checking sources constantly

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
1. Whats your religion?
3.Important figures?
10. Important places?
11.important events?

I also would like to know if you are ok with being pmed if I have further questions.Act as if I know nothing when answering questions.

1. Hinduism
  2. Advaita Vedanta
  3. Hindu figures: Adi Shankara, Sri Ramakrishna, Swami Vivekananda. Non-Hindu figures: Don Miguel Ruiz, Jaggi Vasudev (Sadhguru).
  4. Common beliefs among Hindus include:
    1. Samsara
    2. Karma
    3. Moksha (liberation from samsara)
  5. Important scriptures:
    1. The Upanishads
    2. The Bhagavad Gita
    3. The Vedas
  6. Not sure what you're looking for in this response.
  7. Aside from the scripture I mention above, I can't really think of any books. Online articles can be helpful. Which ones depend on what specific topic you're looking for.
  8. I frequent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZOKv_xnTzyLD9RJmbBUV9Q the most. I also subscribe to https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcYzLCs3zrQIBVHYA1sK2sw, though he doesn't technically identify as Hindu.
  9. Tolerance.
  10. None.
  11. Enlightenment. ;)
  12. None.
  13. Symbols: ॐ Practices: Meditation
  14. Nothing off the top of my head that I can think of, but I'm willing to answer any follow-up questions you might have.

VoidCat

That's quite the claim. Most atheists I know just lack a belief in God or gods. But few will come forward with such a positive claim. Evidence?
Please do me a favor. Dont turn this thread into a discussion about whether God exists. It'll make it difficult scrolling through this when I return for ideas on where to start. Thats why I asked if the people replying are ok with me pming them...so scrolling would be easier and I know I can contact them at a later date if needed.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Please do me a favor. Dont turn this thread into a discussion about whether God exists. It'll make it difficult scrolling through this when I return for ideas on where to start. Thats why I asked if the people replying are ok with me pming them...so scrolling would be easier.

Fair enough. Please pardon my indiscretion with the derail.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
1. Whats your religion?

None

None

3.Important figures?

I get inspiration from different people on websites (depending-I don't trust Wiki) and books such as Rainer Maria Wilkes.

I've always had a worship of ancestors (though sounds like a cliche) since I was young but it didn't become profound until my grandmother passed in 2014 and had an huge experience and went from there.

Above among others

I see dead people

https://www.amazon.com/Honoring-Your-Ancestors-Ancestral-Veneration/dp/0738761001
https://www.amazon.com/Backwoods-Wi...oods+witchcraft&qid=1611594232&s=books&sr=1-1

I like this conversation
It's long but I feel it's worth it. There's only but so many videos that I'd say is worth gaining insight from

Keeps me at peace and prayer

10. Important places?

We have a family cemetery in NC (I see that's where you're from?) that I went to near my family's home in the boondocks. I'm in VA and go down to visit my grandmother's cemetery and just sit with my aunt's ashes at my altar. I'd like to travel and visit all my living family members but without resources and a car that's pretty hard.

11.important events?

Loved ones anniversaries, birth, death, holidays, etc.

13. What are some important practices or symbols of your beliefs?

Just things my aunt owned and things like that.

I'd say write down your personal experiences-things that stick out-and use them as a catalyst for finding a practice. You'd connect with it more than an educational level when the value in the practice supports what you already believe.

Many believe that in order to know who you are is to know where you came from. Which makes sense giving where you came from-your family-made up who you are now. I guess explore that, yourself and family. Most of my family are christian so I give respect to them through that though I'm not christian myself. But religion, I don't have that.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
1. Whats your religion?
I don't subscribe to a religion, i am as atheist as it gets

Not sure there are any, every atheist (like every other human) is 100% unique.

3.Important figures
Children, husband, family, friends, everyone else. I was going to say 42 but its its already been done

S
Show me the evidence

Do unto others as they would do unto you, but do it first. Its important to me, I don't know about any other atheist

It's not a religion

I like arxiv.org, very many (almost 2 million) PDFs about what is important to me

Reliable YouTube??? Is that not an oxymoron?

Websites
Perimeter Institute |

Homepage - Max Planck Society

The people

10. Important places?

Home

11.important events?

Life

Summer, a couple of weeks somewhere interesting.
Winter, the kids have settled on Saturnalia because they get more presents.

My avatar is important to me.
Your avatar.

If its legal, decent and honest then why not

Sure