• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Researchers Find That the iPhone 12 Can Deactivate a Pacemaker

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Apple’s newest iPhones have a circular array of magnets built into their backs, which allows them to snap to a MagSafe charging puck or compatible accessory (such as a phone case). But pacemakers have a switch that can be deactivated with an external magnetic field, and when researchers from the Henry Ford Heart and Vascular Institute placed an iPhone 12 above the heart of a patient with an implanted Medtronic pacemaker, the pacemaker’s operations were suspended every time.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Apple’s newest iPhones have a circular array of magnets built into their backs, which allows them to snap to a MagSafe charging puck or compatible accessory (such as a phone case). But pacemakers have a switch that can be deactivated with an external magnetic field, and when researchers from the Henry Ford Heart and Vascular Institute placed an iPhone 12 above the heart of a patient with an implanted Medtronic pacemaker, the pacemaker’s operations were suspended every time.
That is unfortunate, and there are different types of pacemakers. I know at least one person with a pacemaker, and I used to know someone else with one. They are around.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
But pacemakers have a switch that can be deactivated with an external magnetic field
I always knew Smartphones were not "Peacemakers" but here they took it one step too far

exchemist

Veteran Member
It seems from the article that this is not entirely a new phenomenon and that pacemakers are known to be subject to interference from magnetic fields.

The article only says the operation of the pacemaker was "suspended", i.e. normal operation resumed as soon as the phone was moved away from the area above the heart. So worth avoiding keeping your phone in your breast pocket if you have a pacemaker, but it is unlikely to make you ill.