• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Request for inputs

atanu

Premium Member
Friends

I just completed a 14 days hectic official trip through Austria (Vienna and Salzburg), Netherlands (Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Delft, and Utrecht), Denmark (Copenhagen), and Norway (Bergen, Stavanger, and Oslo). The tour included oficial visits to certain organisations and also visits to spots of tourist interests.

I was impressed by the systematic processes that seem to pervade Europe, in contrast to the usual chaotic conditions in India that tend to make life difficult for common man. For an Indian, life in Europe seems easier.

My general perception is that an average European is less restless about personal ambitions than an average urban Indian. An average European seems to value ordeliness as a method to foster group growth rather than fiercely trying to expand individual turf. On the other hand, I feel that (due to whatever reasons), the age-old teaching of Hindu scriptures in favour of discipline and care of the whole is forgotten in urban India, where in homes, in offices, and in streets, individuals strive only to get ahead of the neighbour.

Am I wrong? What are the other differences? What are the reasons for the differences?

I am suppossed to write a learning diary now. So, this post is to invite and request members who have experience of both India and Europe to record their observations.

Onkara

Hello Atanu
I have no experience of India (it is still a dream for me), but I can confirm the grass is always greener, having moved country myself within Europe.

There are people who are motivated to build their empires at others expense in every country, it is a human trait, moved by the gunas, we might say :) What I have noticed from meeting Indians here in Europe is that they are often focused and very ambitious to achieve. They work quietly and diligently, but I sense a fierce need to meet their self-imposed goals.

They fit your description, but perhaps due to the European culture it doesn't come across as being more than their individual or cultural traits, in my eyes at least. It doesn't clash, as many people are concerned for their careers, but perhaps there is a sense of stability and routine which conceals that concern.

As for organisation, yes, this even differs between countries and cultures. The northern Europeans, such as the Germans, Dutch, Swiss etc, have a reputation for cleanliness, timeliness and punctuality. Especially with state run or official practices.

The south of Europe, the Mediterranean, has different priorities.

I look forward to hearing further on your project!

Pranams

atanu

Premium Member
Hello Atanu
I have no experience of India (it is still a dream for me), but I can confirm the grass is always greener, having moved country myself within Europe.

There are people who are motivated to build their empires at others expense in every country, it is a human trait, moved by the gunas, we might say :) What I have noticed from meeting Indians here in Europe is that they are often focused and very ambitious to achieve. They work quietly and diligently, but I sense a fierce need to meet their self-imposed goals.

They fit your description, but perhaps due to the European culture it doesn't come across as being more than their individual or cultural traits, in my eyes at least. It doesn't clash, as many people are concerned for their careers, but perhaps there is a sense of stability and routine which conceals that concern.

As for organisation, yes, this even differs between countries and cultures. The northern Europeans, such as the Germans, Dutch, Swiss etc, have a reputation for cleanliness, timeliness and punctuality. Especially with state run or official practices.

The south of Europe, the Mediterranean, has different priorities.

I look forward to hearing further on your project!

Pranams

It seems that there are very few members here who have experience of Europe and India together(?) or that members are not willing to be frank and forthcoming.

I am on the job -- alone.:help:
---------------------------------------------

Thank you Onkara for the kind post. I fully agree with you that the other always seems better endowed etc.;)

My Guru would say that the other is in you. But my office people (who also are in me) are not going to listen. They want some concrete suggestions.

I will share my work with you when I complete the report but i warn in advance that the output may be a big dissapointment for you.

Best Wishes.

Onkara

Hello Atanu
Not sure why you think it will be a big dissapointment? In any case feel free to share any work with me and I will do what I can to help if required :)