• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Republican Health Care Bill Worse than Obamacare...

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
From one of your sources:

Senate Republicans on Monday released a revised version of their healthcare reform bill that adds a provision requiring consumers with a break in coverage to wait six months before buying insurance.

The Senate bill would make those who had a lapse in coverage for 63 days or more wait six months before obtaining insurance.
If this is true, that is insane and I don't support it.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I have not verified what you are saying, but it stands to reason. It was GOP which decided to derail any patient who could not afford the premiums for the Obama Care package in various states. For example, North Carolina could have accepted Federal funds allowing patients to file for a Medicaid extension so they could get insurance, but the governor of NC decided to refuse the funds allocated by Congress in order to undermine Obamacare. So, many patients in NC got no coverage even though funds were available. As you can see, the GOP is not going to extend any coverage to anybody. It doesn't believe in doing that.

What I want to know is, are they finally going to keep their stupid promise to ban abortion? They've only been promising it for 40 years. Sure its a stupid thing, but they did promise. I'm pro choice legally, but I never am surprised at how frequently the Republican party back-stabs evangelicals. I keep waiting for evangelicals to react and notice that their party is actually not pro life but pro choice just like the Democrat party. Its just that the Democrat party doesn't pretend to be an angel dressed in white raiment.

tytlyf

Not Religious
The republican party is about corporate policy. They will do whatever they can to please their corporate overlords and their obsession with tax payer dollars. Pre-existing conditions won't be covered, that's all it's about.

GOP = Greed Over Principle

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
There's a very simple who wins and who loses test involved. The middle and lower income groups lose. The wealthy and some corporations win.

shawn001

Published on Mar 7, 2017
"Everybody's gotta be covered... I am going to take care of everybody... everybody's going to be taken care of much better than they're taken care of now... [The uninsured person is] gonna be taken care of... The government's gonna pay for it but we're gonna save so much money on the other side."

From 60 minutes interview.

Yeah right! It just gets worse big time.

Senate Health Bill Reels as C.B.O. Predicts 22 Million More Uninsured

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Great. More fear mongering. It's the end of the world again.

Like Obamacare was really any better. Lol what a laugh that is.

Just having coverage isn't enough.

The real issue is affordability. Not just premiums that so many like to crow and squak about on the rooftops all the time. It's deductibles too that people for some reason conspicuously avoid talking about, like it's the freaking plague or something.

We focus on insurance all the time, while the real culprit for the unaffordability is health-care industry itself.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Published on Mar 7, 2017
"Everybody's gotta be covered... I am going to take care of everybody... everybody's going to be taken care of much better than they're taken care of now... [The uninsured person is] gonna be taken care of... The government's gonna pay for it but we're gonna save so much money on the other side."

From 60 minutes interview.

Yeah right! It just gets worse big time.

He did say that, and I agree. Trump has more work to do.

shawn001

More work to do? Like read the Bill in the first place, he seems out of touch with it for sure. He recently called the House bill "mean" after celebrating it in the White House Rose Garden. He's not part of the process.

shawn001

How are they going to do that much work and pass it by the first week of July? They want this passed because it gives tax breaks and they want to move on to the Tax codes and the rich will get richer.

Worth watching this.

Wealth Inequality in America

Infographics on the distribution of wealth in America, highlighting both the inequality and the difference between our perception of inequality and the actual numbers. The reality is often not what we think it is.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I hope he makes good on it. He just doesn't seem like he is part of the process at the moment. I just hope he doesn't fall into party lines in lieu of doing the right thing.

Underhill

The real issue is affordability. Not just premiums that so many like to crow and squak about on the rooftops all the time. It's deductibles too that people for some reason conspicuously avoid talking about, like it's the freaking plague or something.

We focus on insurance all the time, while the real culprit for the unaffordability is health-care industry itself.

I agree with you in part. But these bills put out by the house and senate are no improvement. They simply cut spending.

The root problem is health care cost, which cannot be driven down much without taking control of the system. Capitalism and free market methodology don't work when the consumer has no choice but to buy.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member

So, why aren't the Republicans addressing that at all?

Right now, insurance is the method through which people obtain somewhat affordable healthcare. You take insurance away before making healthcare affordable, you just get a bunch of people getting more sick, more ER visits, and higher costs.

I wholeheartedly support making healthcare more affordable and I do believe that is the root cause of our problem: prices need to be fixed and regulated.

However, Obamacare was a way to fix some of the worst aspects of our current system to buy us some time to get to that better system. The Republican bill simply strips away those protections without moving towards a better system. It makes no sense.