• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reorganizing

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I'm reorganizing my cubicle, today and in the near future. What's the best way to go about this? Should I shuffle things to and fro, or just take everything out and put it back again a bit at a time? Are there policies and procedures for this sort of thing?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Do you have an idea for what your finished product will look like? That might dictate the best way to attack the problem.

A

angellous_evangellous

Get a bottle of Vodka tonight. Drink half of it. Store the rest.

On Sunday night, cut a long strip - about 2 inches wide and maybe a foot and a half long. Stuff the strip down the neck of the bottle so that the cloth has a few inches in the Vodka, and the rest of the strip is hanging out the neck. Let it sit overnight.

Bring the bottle and a lighter to work with you on Monday and come early.

Light the end of the cloth, wait about three seconds, and smash it on your desk. Run.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Break it down like this:

First, make a list of what about your current setup either frustrates you, or feels inefficient, or causes aggravation/irritation.

Then taking each one of those items individually, write down a way or ways to solve that issue (having supplies ready to hand, or moving the phone so that the cord doesn't get caught in the desk drawer, or putting most-accessed folders at the front of the drawer, etc.).

Once you have this list of solutions, evaluate and see if any of them conflict with each other. Adjust based on frequency of aggravation/use, etc.

Then take your final list, and see whether doing one item first would make another item easier, etc. Prioritize the steps in that sort of order.

Although, Angellous' solution has it's appeal...................

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Get a bottle of Vodka tonight. Drink half of it. Store the rest.

On Sunday night, cut a long strip - about 2 inches wide and maybe a foot and a half long. Stuff the strip down the neck of the bottle so that the cloth has a few inches in the Vodka, and the rest of the strip is hanging out the neck. Let it sit overnight.

Bring the bottle and a lighter to work with you on Monday and come early.

Light the end of the cloth, wait about three seconds, and smash it on your desk. Run.

Shouldn't she throw the bottle ?

A

angellous_evangellous

Shouldn't she throw the bottle ?

See the last line.

I was thinking that the circumstances of the office environment would not allow for a throw, unless one was a very *very* good thrower. It might be good to get a running start, and as you run by the desk, smash it on the desktop and keep running.

That might solve the safety issue.

But if it were me, I wouldn't run with a lit Molotov. I'd prefer a stationary throw - in this case - about six feet away.

atanu

Premium Member
I'm reorganizing my cubicle, today and in the near future. What's the best way to go about this? Should I shuffle things to and fro, or just take everything out and put it back again a bit at a time? Are there policies and procedures for this sort of thing?

I ask whether it is necessary and review every week.

atanu

Premium Member

Have you already reorganized?

lunakilo

Take everything out.
Keep 3 things.
Throw the rest away (or give it away if you are not the wastefull sort)

atanu

Premium Member
My desk has what I like to call a "geological" filing system: it's all sorted by date with the most recent stuff on top. :D

Same here. I now realise that there must be some allowance and provision for geological tectonic movements and tsunamis.:)

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

Do what I do, Patty: throw everything up in the air and see where it lands, then take the rest of the day off and hope someone else will deal with it.
icon14.gif

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
When I organize, I do it all at once. I take everything out, go through things, and put everything back orderly. And I make sure to get rid of anything unnecessary.

An alternate idea is to pick one spot at a time, and finish it. So if you've got a shelf, take everything out and organize it. Then if you've got some folders on your desk, do those next. The rule is that you can move stuff to unfinished areas, but you can never move things back to finished areas unless it's meant to go there and you put it back orderly. This ensures it doesn't become unfinished.

I try to keep as much of my documentation electronically on my computer, and I back it up regularly. Every document is located in one folder (which has a hierarchy of lower folders), so nothing can be lost and it's easy to back up. This reduces clutter, and I hate clutter.