• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Remembering God throughout your day (Karma Yoga and Sikhi)

Onkara

I am interested if anyone has been able to keep God in mind and heart throughout their working (or study) day?

Is it possible to both be spiritually satisfied whilst getting on with the less interesting chores?

Is it possible to concentrate on your chores whilst feeling satisfied that you are "close" to God? So chores and work is not a distraction to remembering the Divine.

We may not be able to determine our success but is it possible to both feel satisfied spiritually and fully concentrated professionally/academically? If so, what do you recommend to us?

I would enjoy learning from others on the Theistic path (Sikhi, Sanatana Dharma etc) :)

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I've never been able to maintain my thoughts on God throughout an entire day. I think it is a gradual progression, something that comes with time and practice. I have had glimpses though. I know that engaging in thoughts of Krishna's pastimes can give great joy and I know that for whatever amount of time I am able to look around and see the divine in everything, I have experienced the joy of loving and contentment.

I think that the constant love, the constant focus on God comes with actual Realisation. I mean, that's what Realisation is: the final knowing that God is in everything, that you, the self, are part of God. And then your entire perception is changed. There's no forgetting.

Onkara

Thank you Madhuri
I enjoy your reply. I think your point that knowing God is everything is spot on. My observation is that Love itself is a part of God and so unconditional, unlimited Love flows from God through us (the "divide" between God and us is a topic much debated in Vedanta). I return to a question I have raised on RF before, which is what distracts us from this love and is knowing enough?

Are Krishna's pastimes and his relationship with Radha detailed in the Srimad Bhagavatam?

Onkara

Good! Thanks. Does Maya then distract our concentration from doing the things we should be doing?

Onkara

What 'should' we be doing?

Good point. This is the crux of the situation. The question could be asked "what can we do?" as it is already determined by the Gunas. What we desire to do is to be righteous, successful in our work/study?

As this is desire we are already "off-track" because desire is a guna and we take our selves to be the actor (ego). Lord Krishna warns us of this in the Gita.

So it looks as if all is determined, even actions which may lead to negative results? Even when we know we are not the doer of those actions and have the desire to be doing something which "should be better"... ?

Satsangi

Hi Onkarah,

(1) Keeping Vritti in God all the time is THE most difficult thing to do and I agree with Madhuri that it takes a long long practice. I have somewhat succeeded for a significant part of my waking state. Ideally, it needs to be ALL the time- in sleep and dream state too and in all three bodies. This is what very rare people can do.

(2) Secondly, Radhaji is NOT mentioned in Srimad Bhagvatam, but is in another Purana (I forgot the name).

(3) Gunas come into action as a result of 2 things- inborn tendency, outside factors. Satsang with a Saint by mind, body and deeds will make the outside factors favorable and the inborn tendency will also calm down towards Sattva. To further take care of the innate tendencies, one has to do "Atma-Vichar"- think that one is the Atman and not the mind/body. Established in the Sattva, on achieves the BrahmaJnana above the three gunas and three states. In some souls, this innate tendency to rajas and tamas is very very strong and they will be UNABLE to start any spiritual progress.

Regards,

Last edited:

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Onkarah,

Remembering God throughout your day (Karma Yoga and Sikhi)

Once the mind starts to think, consciousness is lost and this is what is happening in life; parents, society forces the child to think at the same time they are also taught religious customs.
This unconscious acts of humans are responsible for losing touch with one's own self.
Then one questions if it is possible to remember God throughout the day?
Friend watch the point of separation; it is the point where thoughts enter the mind that one deviates from his original self which is part of that *whole* or *god*.
So the only way is to stop the anomaly or thinking, rather being watchful of the mind's activities and one always remain connected with that *whole* for which even * REMEMBRANCE* is not required as he is always a part of the *whole*.

Love & rgds

Onkara

You are of course right, Zenzero. :) Even finding a problem or angle to take on what you say must manifest itself as a thought. It is the thought or mind which refuses to "let go". Is that a problem? Yes, if the thoughts are a problem, or as you describe it "consciousness is lost". Thoughts arise in consciousness, if consciousness is always maintained as the foundation, the thought that thoughts come and go, is too a thought and nothing more. Can thoughts cause harm? Yes, if thoughts are taken to be "me" or taken to be real, but are they really a problem if they lead to the removing or need of superfluous thought? Does it really matter?

Last edited:

Onkara

Hi Onkarah,

(1) Keeping Vritti in God all the time is THE most difficult thing to do and I agree with Madhuri that it takes a long long practice. I have somewhat succeeded for a significant part of my waking state. Ideally, it needs to be ALL the time- in sleep and dream state too and in all three bodies. This is what very rare people can do.

Regards,
Hi Satsangi
I admire you effort and achievements in keeping Vritti on God, may He continue to bless you. :) Do you hold one thought in mind whilst going about your work or do you clear you mind of thoughts and tend to keep consciousness itself as the "link" to the Divine? Is there any distraction to your work and concentration?

Last edited:

Satsangi

Hi Satsangi
I admire you effort and achievements in keeping Vritti on God, may He continue to bless you. :) Do you hold one thought in mind whilst going about your work or do you clear you mind of thoughts and tend to keep consciousness itself as the "link" to the Divine? Is there any distraction to your work and concentration?

Hi Onkarah,

Thank ypu for your prayers. There are plenty of thoughts going on as this is the necessity in my work. But, these thoughts strangely do not seem to distract the "almost sub conscious" repetition of God's name (Japa) going on in my mind. I think that initially it has involved practice of remembering Him consciously in most of the activities. Later on, the almost sub conscious repetition just becomes a "habit". The benefit is that it has kept the thoughts related to anger, lust, greed etc out of my mind a lot of times.

Regards,

Onkara

Hi Satsangi
That is useful to know :)
I am looking at how we can be effective in our daily professional roles, whilst knowing that we are under the influence of gunas, which may not always be effective and actual influence our actions whilst we work. In my understanding of the Bhagavad Gita it is through dedication of our actions to Lord Krishna that we act best, but this implies keeping our mind or consciousness with that thought or understanding, this is why I ask about keeping one's mind on the Lord whilst working. Although Japa may not be the motivator, as you say it reduces the mind's attraction to tamas or rajas which would lead it into sloth, ennui or distracted passions/hobbies for example. This is good to know.

One thing I want to answer through this post, is how to be successful in the chores and work/study which we are obliged to do yet not loose focus of the divine, which we know results in satisfaction of a pure quality. :) It is satifying to hear others ideas and accounts :eek:

Thanks!

Last edited:

Satsangi

Hi Satsangi

One thing I want to answer through this post, is how to be successful in the chores and work/study which we are obliged to do yet not loose focus of the divine, which we know results in satisfaction of a pure quality. :) It is satifying to hear others ideas and accounts :eek:

Thanks!

Hi Onkarah,

By Japa I did not mean any formal mantra; its His thoughts, His 108 names etc that go on and on without effort. Just like if you see a certain movie with a strong content and then it remains in the back of your for some days.

Coming to the highlighted question, here is my thinking and take on it. My Prarabdha is His wish; I am His servant and will happily and to my fullest ability play any role He puts me in staying within the context of Dharmas. At the same time, one should realize the things which we are doing are really mundane and when the time comes, one should leave everything at that very instant just like Emperor Bharatha. I believe that karmas with non attachment to its fruits as prescribed by Lord Krishna in BG is the way to go.

Another great saintly King Janaka Videhi is an ideal for people like us who are not tyaagis. He is considered to be a Guru of even Shukadevji.

Regards,

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Onkarah,

Even finding a problem or angle to take on what you say must manifest itself as a thought. It is the thought or mind which refuses to "let go". Is that a problem? Yes, if the thoughts are a problem, or as you describe it "consciousness is lost". Thoughts arise in consciousness, if consciousness is always maintained as the foundation, the thought that thoughts come and go, is too a thought and nothing more. Can thoughts cause harm? Yes, if thoughts are taken to be "me" or taken to be real, but are they really a problem if they lead to the removing or need of superfluous thought? Does it really matter?

Kindly understand, the are two aspects in *THINKING* [probably never mentioned in any texts/scriptures] one is when one is driven by the thought itself which is based on desire. You desire wealth for which you are working and you think about your work because of earning more money is nothing but thoughts that separate.
The other kind of thoughts or meditation or conscious thoughts on a subject which is overlooking/transcending the self is no more a thought but a form of meditation. One is aware/conscious of the subject matter at all times but not driven by desire but for the benefit of all [oneness] Meditators in Sanatan Dharma has developed Ayurveda and other science through this form of meditation.

Love & rgds

Onkara

Thanks Satsangi and Zezero
I found both replies helpful. Desire can be a false friend, when engaged to complete our responsibilities, desire is not the best motivator I have found it may fail to aid one to the completion of the task. The arising of desire itself can be seen more early, I assume as a result of practice and meditation. and once seen it no longer has the hold over ones mind as it may have had before. When desire is not invested in, what happens? What then is the drive or motivating force?

Is the answer that it is in the service of a greater good (benefit of others,The Sum). I interpret the answers that way :)

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Onkarah,

The basic premise that you have taken is that you are a separate entity that the *whole* and so you speak of responsibilities and its fulfillment.
Since there is no one existing in reality then how can any responsibility or fulfillment come? That is the illusion that one places himself by considering himself to be a separate unit.
Yes, separation is a reality but not in totality but by a figment of imagination or rather just by a mere THOUGHT. Freeing the mind of all thoughts is the only duty, responsibility one has. Yes, it appears *SELFISH* in a way but by only those who THOUGHTS [mind] perceive in such manner or who remain separate but those who have been able to STILL the thoughts even for a split second knows/understands that dropping of the MIND itself is the way to nirvana.

Love & rgds

Onkara

Thank you Zenzero

The issue raised in post 16 is that of desire and action. Desire appears to affect the individual to such an extent that the misunderstanding that the individual is the doer or cause of desires is believed in, this too is the ilussion caused by gunas (there is no need to debate gunas, they are a tool to clear the illusion here).

We can take the gunas as the cause for desire and the appearance that the gunas act on an individual as nothing more than an appearance, like flickering of a candle flame. This appearance shows itself as thoughts, as you quite clearly explain above. I am not opposing this, but exploring it. Who is exploring it? Consciousness? Why hasn't the consciousness forgotten/put aside/rejected/moved on from this exploration? Because consciousness does what consciousness does, there is no doer controlling this, correct? If "my" desires were real, I would not be posting on this forum. I don't mean that in a nasty way, but it is not a pleasure for me to be here, so why am "I" here on RF? Because there is no real I to like or dislike, things are just happening, even the exploration and posting of it as such. :)

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Onkarah,

Yes, at every level only when the individual mind becomes still even unconsciously that Truth gets reflected the pointers are clearly seen towards which more light is available but the gunas with the minds help pulls one down. Its fine to be grounded but one needs to be conscious of that too. Then one is not imprisoned by those desiring as one has to maintain balance at all times and both aspects of duality are truth in themselves.

Love & rgds