• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Remember When Music Was for Adults?

One huge difference between then and now is that it is much easier to get out on the web and have your sound be heard without going through the record labels or radio stations. In the 60' and 70's, if you didn't get on the radio, you simply were not heard unless you had people spreading bootleg tapes (which happened). And the radio stations had an iron grip on what could go over the air. That's why many from this time had to 'hide' their messages behind symbolism that was opaque to the adults around them.

Oh, and, sir, I did not respond to your taste in Classical. I appreciate Classical but it is not my cup of tea. The reason? I imagine if I lived in the time of Classical I wouldn't be in a Conservatory, I would be in a Tavern with the Bards. Here is a painting by Breugel showing life in the Tavern, notice how everyone is an adult:

R226jaehJ8ozQFyg_qUNACMba05GZEnyPRP1BO2RkdeDE2evZaiAHibeJnDUSE4p7g343kEUBa2XDOgzIMSNNVQ

pieter-bruegel-the-elder-the-peasant-dance-detail-wga3501-hr4mat.jpg

If I may offer a humble suggestion, why not get into Jazz? Jazz is the continuation of Classical and it is studied extensively in top Conservatories like Berklee School of music and Juliard. The reason I recommend this is because Jazz is coming back (think La La Land). Also, there are Jazz Clubs everywhere there is a music scene. And a real Jazz singer reads your mind (mystical junk). So, if I can make a recommendation if you like Classical than you may like Jazz. Here is a video I recommend to see how complicated and theoretical Jazz is:

Cheers!

Modern American metal is kinda garbage, no arguments there. However, European is simply amazing. Lots of Manowar, Meatloaf and Queen influences.

When I get some time I'll link you to some of my favorites but for now, I suggest looking into bands like Blind Guardian, Sabaton, Tyr, Rebellion, Alestorm, and if you don't mind tongue in cheek, purposely over the top stuff, Powerwolf is a thing of beauty.

Thank you, sir, you are correct. Europe has quite a bit going on when it comes to music; it doesn't surprise me they have a vibrant real Metal Scene. Reading the Guitar Magazines I'm aware of a little bit of it but just the major bands.

If you are European, maybe it serves us Americans right to commercialize an art, make it a Economic endeavor of Capitalism, then run it into the ground of absurdity....where Europe respects art.

Cheers!

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member

You're a jazz guitarist, aren't you? I learned more jazz than I would have if I had had access to rock instruction in the early seventies when I began taking lessons. But at that time, the accomplished guitarists teaching music were playing classical (Segovia), Latin/ Bossa Nova (Charlie Bird), country (Chet Atkins), or jazz/stage band (Wes Montgomery). Nobody knew my music but the people out on the road performing it. So, I had to learn it copying records.

Not surprisingly, my instructors fed me with a steady diet of standards like Willow Weep For Me, Don't Get Around Much Any More, and On Green Dolphin Street. And I learned was exposed to pop music like Moon River and As Time Goes By.

But that was a great foundation for music theory.

But I also studied classical harmony (Walter Piston), sight singing, and dictation. In the end, I had a pretty good understanding of not only the pentatonic scales of rock and blues, but also the diatonic scales and the modes. Thus, I understood that when the Allman Brothers were playing in Am with a sharped sixth, F#, it was the Dorian mode of the G-major scale.

Great days, but ten years gone now (
for any Led Zeppelin fans here). I almost never play any more. Life moves on.

But this jog down memory lane has evoked more than a little nostalgia, for which I thank you.

Any Deadheads among us?

Last edited:

You're a jazz guitarist, aren't you? I learned more jazz than I would have if I had had access to rock instruction in the early seventies when I began taking lessons. But at that time, the accomplished guitarists teaching music at that time were playing classical (Segovia), Latin/ Bossa Nove (Charlie Bird), country (Chet Atkins), or jazz/stage band (Wes Montgomery). Nobody knew my music but the people out on the road performing it. So, I had to learn it copying records.

Not surprisingly, my instructors fed me with a steady diet of standards like Willow Weep For Me, Don't Get Around Much Any More, and On Green Dolphin Street. And I learned was exposed to pop music like Moon River and As Time Goes By.

But that was a great foundation for music theory.

But I also studied classical harmony (Walter Piston), sight singing, and dictation. In the end, I had a pretty good understanding of not only the pentatonic scales of rock and blues, but also the diatonic scales and the modes. Thus, I understood that when the Allman Brothers were playing in Am with a sharped sixth, F#, it was the Dorian mode of the G-major scale.

Great days, but ten years gone now (
for any Led Zeppelin fans here). I almost never play any more. Life moves on.

But this jog down memory lane has evoked more than a little nostalgia, for which I thank you.

Any Deadheads among us?

Thank you for the kind reply, sir, but no I shouldn't be a fraudster on her and pretend I'm a musician (I'm just a hobbyist playing Jams and Open Mic Nights) but, but, but you are definitely a musician. This may not make sense to you now, but that is a huge honor on Earth to be a musician. Let me explain.

Live a long life, bond with people, work on your natural talents but always know in the back of your mind somewhere we all go to Heaven. (Everyone in the world and History is in Heaven even people like Hitler and Stalin, you would be amazed how quickly people change and are eager to learn and grow once they get past death). Now, I'm not preaching to you at all; I'm telling you remain an atheist if you are an atheist because it does not matter we will all be in Heaven.

We have bodies in Heaven, ideal bodies with ideal minds that can finally, genuinely reflect on life. But on top of that know if you ever wanted to go to a Conservatory like Berklee it is open to you with the best teachers and best methods there available. Now, when I go to Heaven I want to continue with Clarinet, Saxophone and Guitar but I also want to learn Piano, Trumpet and Trombone. And I will. My dream is to create Jazz-Blues-Latin Jazz Fusion but I have many, many, many years to go to pull that off.

So, with tons of love I say you lived and are living a blessed life know it will only get better when we all go to Heaven. I'm a little bit of a medium and the name Janice comes to mind but that is all I will write.

Cheers friend! This has been a great thread of bonding.

Not saying the music was for kids, but that those under twenty-one finally found a sound that not only appealed to their parents but themselves as well. The music buying demographic became a bit younger. Then when Elvis Presley and rock and roll hit, that demographic really changed. The music buying public continued to buy show tunes, jazz, funk, country, blues, and the crooners, but not like it bought rock and roll and doo woop. The other forms became a secondary market, continuing to be shut out by new groups like the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, and folk, punk, disco, hip hop, rap, heavy metal music, etc. etc. And so the diversity of the chart toppers continued. Tuneful music having given way to incoherent screaming and electronic wailings and drumings that appeal more to one's viscera than to the ear. Not saying this is bad, only that tastes have radically changed since music began appealing to younger people in the 40s.

Because the range of favorite music among adults today span so many years, 70+, and, for whatever reason, we prefer the music we "grew up with" it's impossible to pin down. By in large people in their 70s like rock and roll, whereas those only ten years younger seem to prefer the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, and folk music.

I think this has been one of the best posts I've seen you write since I've been here with humility, love and respect. I always dig your writing style and tone but this post is showing us another side of you. All sides are good but that is another good side.

I'm Henry could you hear me recording this? If not ask the person who recorded it if he heard me. Inside joke.

In defense of my homophobia, which I think irks you more than it should, how do I describe it? My homophobia is a particular kind; it is not a fear or concern with someone's sexuality but rather a fear of an agenda. Now, what is the agenda and what is my evidence for it? Well, let me put this differently if the agenda is true would I be justified in fearing the gay community? I'm writing this because for some reason it really bothers you and I'm just trying to reach you.

The agenda I see are people like Brietbart and Milo Younopolis, Ann Coulter, Trey Gowdy, Jason Chafetz, Sean Hannity, Newt Gingrich...in other words a plethora of Conservatives who are largely homosexual really creating an atmosphere of racial and social class tension because part of being gay is your mind 1) wants to fit in 2) you think exaggerating an idea to an absurd end makes you the best representation of that idea which leads to 3) a world where irrational Conservativism becomes America. On top of that, I know many Neo-Nazis and White Supremacist (not original Hitler Nazis) are largely Homosexual and on top of that the gay community knows it. Let me see if I can find a painting:

Gay Nazi Paintings - Google Search

I couldn't find the actual painting, but here is a search so look at it before it is scrubbed there is quite a bit of Nazi Iconography in Gay Art.

Now, I also don't like the games the Gay Community plays with the Trans Community. Real, genuine Transexuals have all the appearance, beauty, strength of their real gender Woman or Man they just have one bad part. But the game the Gay community plays is to get Gay Men to pretend to be transgendered where they are just Gay Men. This game is to disparage the Trans community because the Trans Community is Saved through Lamentations. The Gay Community is not but well, what do you know, we all go to Heaven anyway. In Heaven the Trans get their ideal body back, and the Gay are Straight.

So that's it.

Last edited:
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be...

OK, you point to three songs. The Beatles Song has dark undertone but let's include it. Now point to some great music of today. It's a fallacy to believe 2017 is the exact same as 1960 just with different people. So, point to some really great music of today.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I think this has been one of the best posts I've seen you write since I've been here with humility, love and respect. I always dig your writing style and tone but this post is showing us another side of you. All sides are good but that is another good side.
Why thank you.

Kapalika

Premium Member
Lol "kid friendly." I remember back on the playground we were all singing stuff like 2Pac, Biggie Smalls, Eminem, Baby Got Back (the big butts song) and Informer (which was hard af) much to the dismay of our teachers. I think the bubblegum pop stuff like Barbie Girl or I dunno Oh Mickey or whatever we either mocked or recoiled from, depending on how catchy the song was.

When I was a teenager I listened to a lot of stuff music that didn't cuss at all and was vague enough lyrically that it was acceptable. Later teens got into System of a Down and the like, but by then I was almost an adult.

I do think most music is targeted at adults and not teenagers though, most shows are gonna target 18+ if not 21+

I'm Henry could you hear me recording this? If not ask the person who recorded it if he heard me. Inside joke.

In defense of my homophobia, which I think irks you more than it should, how do I describe it? My homophobia is a particular kind; it is not a fear or concern with someone's sexuality but rather a fear of an agenda. Now, what is the agenda and what is my evidence for it? Well, let me put this differently if the agenda is true would I be justified in fearing the gay community? I'm writing this because for some reason it really bothers you and I'm just trying to reach you.

The agenda I see are people like Brietbart and Milo Younopolis, Ann Coulter, Trey Gowdy, Jason Chafetz, Sean Hannity, Newt Gingrich...in other words a plethora of Conservatives who are largely homosexual really creating an atmosphere of racial and social class tension because part of being gay is your mind 1) wants to fit in 2) you think exaggerating an idea to an absurd end makes you the best representation of that idea which leads to 3) a world where irrational Conservativism becomes America. On top of that, I know many Neo-Nazis and White Supremacist (not original Hitler Nazis) are largely Homosexual and on top of that the gay community knows it. Let me see if I can find a painting:

Gay Nazi Paintings - Google Search

I couldn't find the actual painting, but here is a search so look at it before it is scrubbed there is quite a bit of Nazi Iconography in Gay Art.

Now, I also don't like the games the Gay Community plays with the Trans Community. Real, genuine Transexuals have all the appearance, beauty, strength of their real gender Woman or Man they just have one bad part. But the game the Gay community plays is to get Gay Men to pretend to be transgendered where they are just Gay Men. This game is to disparage the Trans community because the Trans Community is Saved through Lamentations. The Gay Community is not but well, what do you know, we all go to Heaven anyway. In Heaven the Trans get their ideal body back, and the Gay are Straight.

So that's it.

I have no idea what any of this has to do with my song or point about art and it's interpretation. Also why would a gay man pretend to be trans, and go through all the bull**** we have to go through, and having to deal with all the medical stuff of HRT ect?

All the neo-nazis I've known were Christians. Though I'm not really sure how any of that is relevant. I kinda think that most of what you said is just delusional.

I don't get why this discussion can't be about art, instead of your bizarre beliefs about gay people.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
When I was a teenager I listened to a lot of stuff music that didn't cuss at all and was vague enough lyrically that it was acceptable. Later teens got into System of a Down and the like, but by then I was almost an adult.

I do think most music is targeted at adults and not teenagers though, most shows are gonna target 18+ if not 21+
I think most "mainstream" stuff that was around when I was a kid (90s early 2000s) was really just the general post grunge scene. Also what is accepted as PG where I live is often considered R in America. So that could have something to do with it. (Very weird restrictions for a country that boasts about free speech. Just an observation.)

Kapalika

Premium Member
I think most "mainstream" stuff that was around when I was a kid (90s early 2000s) was really just the general post grunge scene. Also what is accepted as PG where I live is often considered R in America. So that could have something to do with it. (Very weird restrictions for a country that boasts about free speech. Just an observation.)

There are parental advisories but I don't think they are ever enforced or even needed to be. As a teenager I was mostly listening to music on the local rock/metal station as a way of music discovery. So maybe that was why.

OK, you point to three songs. The Beatles Song has dark undertone but let's include it.

I always think that John, Paul and George just got tired of Ringo's nagging and included one of his songs on the album out of sympathy.

After that, any time he offered up a new song he'd penned they could just play the first few bars of Octopus' garden, and there would be an embarrassed silence until he went back to his drum kit.

Now point to some great music of today. It's a fallacy to believe 2017 is the exact same as 1960 just with different people.

Why is it a fallacy?

My grandparents told my parents that the Rolling Stones were long haired layabouts who couldn't make 'real music' if they tried.

My parents weren't exactly fans of early rave music, NWA, Snoop/Dre, Wu-Tang.

I'm not much of a fan of what most modern teenagers listen to.

When we get older we tend to get more stuck in our ways and are less open to new experiences such as music. That's why we think old music is better and new music sucks.

Popular music has always had plenty of crap, you just don't recall most of it so get a false impression - nostalgia.

Older people have always complained about modern music. Jazz, rock and roll, soul, disco, hip-hop, house, techno, etc. faced all the same complaints you are making now - 'it's just not music', 'it's just a fad', 'no one will remember it in 5 years time'.

Todays teenagers will look back on this era the same way we look back on ours, that's just what happens.

So, point to some really great music of today.

It's eye of the beholder.

I prefer older music. That's just my taste though and means nothing in the larger scheme of things.

I always think that John, Paul and George just got tired of Ringo's nagging and included one of his songs on the album out of sympathy.

After that, any time he offered up a new song he'd penned they could just play the first few bars of Octopus' garden, and there would be an embarrassed silence until he went back to his drum kit.

Just so that you know an Octopus is slang for drummer a wild out of control drummer, Sea has other hidden meanings as well. The song refers to drug use with music. The guitar work is brilliant.

Just so that you know an Octopus is slang for drummer a wild out of control drummer, Sea has other hidden meanings as well. The song refers to drug use with music. The guitar work is brilliant.

It's still one of the worst songs in the history of the world though.

To be fair, I suppose Paul did stoop pretty low in his time too...

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hey, IANS, can you post some of your clips? I'm mystical maybe I can communicate with you on it.

Sure. Thanks for asking.

This is my wife and me as a duet with an electronic drum machine. She sings and is on electric bass, and I'm noodling on guitar. It's a song you'll recognize recorded at a coffee house where we used to like to play. The sound "engineering" leaves a little bit to be desired - it was just the two of us. Her voice would have been louder to the audience than it was as recorded:

Let Me Record something and post mine. Just so people don't think I'm talking. I'm just a hobbyist, but one day I will be a musician in Heaven.

Sure, I'd love to hear it.

I don't know what you mean by hobbyist, but we were both amateur musicians with other work.