• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

remarkable feat by mig 21 pilot

satyaroop

the Indian Air Force says that an indian fighter jet , a mig 21 bison shot down a pakistani f 16

i don't know much about fighter planes, but reading comments online some have questioned this claim, since the mig 21 bison is regarded as outdated/antiquated, and quite inferior to the f16

could a pilot's excellent skill/handling of the mig21 compensate for it's drawbacks, and pulled off this feat?

maybe it was the nature of the missile he fired which manged to get the f16..?

maybe the pakistani pilot was just not good enough/made a mistake/had a lapse?

thoughts, if any...?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don’t know the MIG’s nominal capabilities, but I do know that upgrades appear continually. And the operating environment ensures that winning is never guaranteed. Many factors affect an engagement.

Audie

Veteran Member
I don’t know the MIG’s nominal capabilities, but I do know that upgrades appear continually. And the operating environment ensures that winning is never guaranteed. Many factors affect an engagement.

My boyfriend says in WW2 piston aircraft shot down German jets.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
the Indian Air Force says that an indian fighter jet , a mig 21 bison shot down a pakistani f 16

i don't know much about fighter planes, but reading comments online some have questioned this claim, since the mig 21 bison is regarded as outdated/antiquated, and quite inferior to the f16

could a pilot's excellent skill/handling of the mig21 compensate for it's drawbacks, and pulled off this feat?

thoughts, if any...?
Anyone could get in a lucky shot. But that said ,there's no disputing the likelihood of an ace in an inferier aircraft can take down a regular pilot in a more advanced aircraft is plausible.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Anyone could get in a lucky shot. But that said ,there's no disputing the likelihood of an ace in an inferier aircraft can take down a regular pilot in a more advanced aircraft is plausible.
Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance.

David Mamet

It's very true.
Tom

thoughts, if any...?

A large number of inferior jets might well be a match for a smaller number of superior jets

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know.
But it would've been difficult because of the jets' speed advantage.

It's completely true.
And difficult.

Happened again in the Korean war, when jets were more advanced.
Some of those last gen prop fighters were pretty damn special. Even the American ones.
(Maybe especially the American ones, but I don't like to admit that in front of Americans)

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

thoughts, if any...?

The Russians have upgraded the MiG-21 to a level far surpassing its original specs, plus it's carrying more modern payload. I'm not about to buy into Russian claims about the aircraft, but it seems plausible, if unusual.

It's not like the f-16 is brand new...

Shad

Veteran Member

Keep in mind neither planes use the state of the art systems of either the American nor Russian manufactures used in the military of those nations. Pakistan and India will be using commercially available equipment thus at best a generation out of date compared to Russian and American counter-parts. At worst both use systems designed in the 70s for the F16 and 60s for the MIG. I think the planes are far closer in equipment parity due to both nation being 3rd world with a limited military. However the F16 was designed specially to combat the MIG21 so there are design factors which provide any advantage as per the purpose of the plane. It is a closer match than it would seem on paper.

Yes. Superior training can off-set a superior craft piloted by an inferior. The IDF demonstrated this repeatedly not just in planes but tanks. Greece has demonstrated this against Turk is multiple war games with the Mirage.

The missile is mostly like a standard munition which have standard counters. The missile could impact if the defense systems failed on the F16 and/or the pilot couldn't out maneuver it.

That or the defense systems failed.

thoughts, if any...?

Neither nation is a good example to draw from when it comes to military equipment and the demonstration of it.

Shad

Veteran Member
My boyfriend says in WW2 piston aircraft shot down German jets.

Yup. High speed piston planes like the P51 Mustang could create vectored attack passes in a dive generating speed beyond that of the engine. Typically a plane would position above the bombers waiting for the Germans to begin their attack runs. (German jets were used to attack bombers due to the cannon primarily not as fighters) The p51 would start a dive angle attack once the German attack started. This would narrow the speed gap between the two planes. If the attack was unsuccessful the German jet would use it's speed advantage to get away be it a climb, dive, etc. The only other case are when the Germany pilots attempted to engage in a dogfight but were inferior pilots to the US by 45 due to causalities and green pilots. Ergo the pilots were at fault not the plane.

Shad

Veteran Member
I don't know.
But it would've been difficult because of the jets' speed advantage.

Gravity and tactics. A good pilot can force a bad pilot to use bad or the wrong tactics bleeding air speed. If a plane losses half it thrust in a climb instead of a roll and dive against an an higher altitude attack the pilot/plane is dead/shot down more often than not.

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member
Yup. High speed piston planes like the P51 Mustang could create vectored attack passes in a dive generating speed beyond that of the engine. Typically a plane would position above the bombers waiting for the Germans to begin their attack runs. (German jets were used to attack bombers due to the cannon primarily not as fighters) The p51 would start a dive angle attack once the German attack started. This would narrow the speed gap between the two planes. If the attack was unsuccessful the German jet would use it's speed advantage to get away be it a climb, dive, etc. The only other case are when the Germany pilots attempted to engage in a dogfight but were inferior pilots to the US by 45 due to causalities and green pilots. Ergo the pilots were at fault not the plane.

Kind of makes my head spin to try to think about it it.