• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious study from different points of view

confused453

I'm not sure if there's one already, but I think it would be very educational to have an international TV show on every (or most) religion out there, where a team of scientist(s)/astrophysicist/biologist, atheist(s), high religious figure(s) (like the actual pope), and a translator(s) of the original text, get the original bible scripts, and go over each sentence where everybody is giving their explanations and thoughts.

If anybody knows of such show please let me know! :)

I'm new to this forum. Personally I'm an atheist-agnostic, but I find religion in general, fascinating. For me to believe in god, it has to become totally certain to everybody in the world simultaneously (like 2+2=4). Another thing is, why would there be only one god? I can't think of a single matter in the universe that just one. If according to bible, the human beings are created in God's image, does it mean that god is made from the energy of this universe too? Then again why would there be only one?

My current view at the moment is that many people are being affected by apophenia (look it up on Wikipedia). And that religion is just a harsher form of gambling.
:magic:

Last edited:

Vultar

Genesis 1:23 said:
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth.

According to the bible there is more then one god, either that or god was schizophrenic and talking to himself. (and so was he)

As for a TV show... it would be nothing but arguing pointless semantics

Bob Dixon

>implying
According to the bible there is more then one god, either that or god was schizophrenic and talking to himself. (and so was he)

Wow, dude, what a new and interesting idea. I've sure never heard that before. Nope, no way, nope.

Vultar

Wow, dude, what a new and interesting idea. I've sure never heard that before. Nope, no way, nope.

I would hope you would have heard of that before. If you didn't, it would mean you couldn't even make it through the first chapter of the bible...

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I'm not sure if there's one already, but I think it would be very educational to have an international TV show on every (or most) religion out there, where a team of scientist(s)/astrophysicist/biologist, atheist(s), high religious figure(s) (like the actual pope), and a translator(s) of the original text, get the original bible scripts, and go over each sentence where everybody is giving their explanations and thoughts.

There isn't such a thing. It would be too long, as well. Think of how many verses are in the Bible: roughly 30,000.

At a complete guess, the average discussion on many of these phrases would probably last between 1 to 3 minutes (for a clear-cut verse) for everyone to have their say and give their input, and anything up to two hours for more difficult and religiously inclined ones.

Even if we pick and choose verses, it would still be months upon months in the making.

I wouldn't want to watch it with a group of atheists there, unless the atheists actually brought something to the table like physics, biology, historians, archaeologists, and other things. Otherwise, they're pretty much going to say "There's no evidence of that" frequently, and little else.

In addition, getting high profile figures would be very, very difficult, as they are usually very busy because of how high profile they are. Getting the pope would be virtually impossible, even if he wanted to do it, and getting them all free on a certain time, for months upon months, would not be easy at all.

It's just not feasible. Sadly.

I'm new to this forum. Personally I'm an atheist-agnostic, but I find religion in general, fascinating. For me to believe in god, it has to become totally certain to everybody in the world simultaneously (like 2+2=4).
I don't understand; what do you mean?

Another thing is, why would there be only one god? I can't think of a single matter in the universe that just one.
What do you mean by a single matter in the universe than justo ne?

My current view at the moment is that many people are being affected by apophenia (look it up on Wikipedia). And that religion is just a harsher form of gambling.
Possibly. You are welcome to your opinion.

rusra02

Premium Member

As for a TV show... it would be nothing but arguing pointless semantics

I believe the Bible reveals God was talking to his Son, who later became Jesus Christ. (Colossians 1:15-17) However, as Jesus himself said, his Father is "the only true God." (John 17:3) Jesus served at his Father's direction, much as a human son often works in his father's business.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
We have a local interfaith group that gives a four part class every May. While it is nowhere near the scale described in the OP, it is still a great opportunity for learning. Each year a topic is decided, and leaders from different religious streams give a short seminar on it.

Last year the topic was the messiah, and positions were given from Presbyterian, Lutheran, Episcopalian, Catholic, and Jewish points of view. This year, each one chose one of the minor prophets to speak on.

These things do take place, but you're most likely going to find it on a local level.

beerisit

I believe the Bible reveals God was talking to his Son, who later became Jesus Christ. (Colossians 1:15-17) However, as Jesus himself said, his Father is "the only true God." (John 17:3) Jesus served at his Father's direction, much as a human son often works in his father's business.

Nepotism strong is in this one. mmmmmmmmmmm

arthra

Baha'i
confused wrote:

"I think it would be very educational to have an international TV show on every (or most) religion out there, where a team of scientist(s)/astrophysicist/biologist, atheist(s), high religious figure(s) (like the actual pope), and a translator(s) of the original text, get the original bible scripts, and go over each sentence where everybody is giving their explanations and thoughts"

I think this has been going for awhile now...maybe not in an international TV show but certainly in the realm of scholars and debates about religion.. I think the Jesus seminar as done a lot along these lines..and of course there's a lot more than the Bible out there as well...;)

confused453

There isn't such a thing. It would be too long, as well. Think of how many verses are in the Bible: roughly 30,000.

Even if we pick and choose verses, it would still be months upon months in the making.

Simpsons got more than 20 seasons. That show could take more, if people'd watch it of course.

I wouldn't want to watch it with a group of atheists there, unless the atheists actually brought something to the table like physics, biology, historians, archaeologists, and other things. Otherwise, they're pretty much going to say "There's no evidence of that" frequently, and little else.

That's one of the reasons why I'd like to watch it. Endless debates :sw: and then maybe people all over the world could vote through SMS or something :)

In addition, getting high profile figures would be very, very difficult, as they are usually very busy because of how high profile they are. Getting the pope would be virtually impossible, even if he wanted to do it, and getting them all free on a certain time, for months upon months, would not be easy at all.

It's just not feasible. Sadly.

Maybe the highest profile guys can participate in one show per month, and lower profile could do it weekly?

I don't understand; what do you mean?
I mean real evidence, that everybody will not have a reason to doubt.

What do you mean by a single matter in the universe than justo ne?
I really meant a living or not living thing that doesn't belong to a group. But apparently god does not belong to a group, because god is supposed to be the only god. Now that I think of it, universe is only one as far I know. Could it be that the bible is really talking about the universe? and somebody just misinterpreted it?

Possibly. You are welcome to your opinion.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Simpsons got more than 20 seasons. That show could take more, if people'd watch it of course.
Simpsons is light-hearted, funny, and involves a fictional place and characters. This would be a serious debate which involves events, characters, and locations people take as existing. It would be very scholarly and would probably bore the average John Doe.

That's one of the reasons why I'd like to watch it. Endless debates :sw: and then maybe people all over the world could vote through SMS or something :)
What would there be to vote on?

Maybe the highest profile guys can participate in one show per month, and lower profile could do it weekly?
I doubt it; the Pope, for example, is too busy doing.. whatever it is he does, I don't know, to spend 3 hours a month or whatever doing this. In all honesty, it'd be more likely to get him to do one episode a year if you were lucky.

As nice an idea as it would be, it wouldn't happen.

I mean real evidence, that everybody will not have a reason to doubt.
What would suffice as 'real evidence'?

I really meant a living or not living thing that doesn't belong to a group. But apparently god does not belong to a group, because god is supposed to be the only god. Now that I think of it, universe is only one as far I know. Could it be that the bible is really talking about the universe? and somebody just misinterpreted it?
Could be. Perhaps it's something more. Perhaps not. Perhaps the consciousness of the universe, that some enlightened humans have been able to experience. Perhaps not.

But I believe in multiple universes anyway, and I'm a panentheist (the universe -- or in my case -- universes are part of God, but transcends them and is more than them) among other things. Then again, I make no claim to be Christian, or even a monotheist.

You're welcome.

confused453

Simpsons is light-hearted, funny, and involves a fictional place and characters. This would be a serious debate which involves events, characters, and locations people take as existing. It would be very scholarly and would probably bore the average John Doe.

So the average John Doe is willing to believe in god or spirituality of some sort, but will get bored of that kind of TV show?

If that's the case, I'd guess it would be somewhat similar to somebody who likes to gamble, but would never watch a TV show on gambling education.

What would there be to vote on?

Who makes more sense.

I doubt it; the Pope, for example, is too busy doing.. whatever it is he does, I don't know, to spend 3 hours a month or whatever doing this. In all honesty, it'd be more likely to get him to do one episode a year if you were lucky.

How do you know the pope is busy, if you have no clue what he's doing? I don't think he even has to get prepared. He's supposed to know everything there is to know about his religion.

As nice an idea as it would be, it wouldn't happen.

You're maybe right about that. But I wish it would happen.

What would suffice as 'real evidence'?

In case of Christianity, god would have to appear with Jesus if possible, then show us some tricks (hopefully without hurting anybody). Talk to the scientists how he managed to create the universe. In god's own words, re-write the bible in every language, using modern terminology.

Could be. Perhaps it's something more. Perhaps not. Perhaps the consciousness of the universe, that some enlightened humans have been able to experience. Perhaps not.

But I believe in multiple universes anyway, and I'm a panentheist (the universe -- or in my case -- universes are part of God, but transcends them and is more than them) among other things. Then again, I make no claim to be Christian, or even a monotheist.

How many people do you think that believe in something, even know the actual definition of the word 'believe'? And how many are actually using their imagination about supernatural?

BELIEVE:
To think something is true without having proof or empirical evidence.

EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE:
Evidence that can be observed through the senses, it can be seen, touched, heard, smelled, tasted and, to some extent, measured. This is the only form of evidence acceptable to positivism which describes social science as the study of a social world deemed to be external to the observer and proceeding with the researcher being a neutral ‘observer’ of that external world.

crocusj

I'm new to this forum. Personally I'm an atheist-agnostic, but I find religion in general, fascinating. For me to believe in god, it has to become totally certain to everybody in the world simultaneously (like 2+2=4). Another thing is, why would there be only one god? I can't think of a single matter in the universe that just one. If according to bible, the human beings are created in God's image, does it mean that god is made from the energy of this universe too? Then again why would there be only one?

:magic:
Why would you need a team of scientist(s)/astrophysicist/biologist, atheist(s) to be involved in a show about a god? Scientist(s)/astrophysicist/biologist know nothing whatsoever about any god (or at least nothing in their fields of expertise lends to knowledge about gods) and atheists don't believe in gods. A less likely group to talk about god I cannot imagine. If you want a programme about god, watch theologians, it's what they do. The others do not.

confused453

I just thought maybe a show like that would bring an end to all religions, or make the world totally religious. What if all the churches got converted to free or at least very affordable fitness clubs as a result of such show? Maybe I'm just dreaming...

FakeOrReal

Personally, do you guys think the entity described in the bible as malignant is real? I mean the bible is messed up because it doesn't always tell you when this actually happened and this didn't, symbolic or not, neopagans, satanists (who don't believe in the Satan from the bible (lol?) Magic, demons, possessions, I mean SOOO MUCHH STUFFF do any of you think some is real and is there logical/substantial proof for some?

Pagans and witches, they're popular sort of, and are involved in "magic" right? But is there proof of it? How about India and Chakra? I mean ZOMG so many theories!! GAH

thx :p

confused453

Personally, do you guys think the entity described in the bible as malignant is real? I mean the bible is messed up because it doesn't always tell you when this actually happened and this didn't, symbolic or not, neopagans, satanists (who don't believe in the Satan from the bible (lol?) Magic, demons, possessions, I mean SOOO MUCHH STUFFF do any of you think some is real and is there logical/substantial proof for some?

Pagans and witches, they're popular sort of, and are involved in "magic" right? But is there proof of it? How about India and Chakra? I mean ZOMG so many theories!! GAH

How many incidents do you see on the daily news about possessions, demons and magic? Do they hide it to prevent global panic? or is all supernatural stuff just made up? What's a better way than to play a prank on a person to scare him to death, if you need something valuable from him/her?

Now check this one out:
Mental disorder - Society and culture - Wikipedia

...Religious, spiritual, or transpersonal experiences and beliefs are typically not defined as disordered, especially if widely shared, despite meeting many criteria of delusional or psychotic disorders.

Isn't that just amazing?
Now just think about this for real. How many technological advances did any religion bring to this world? And how many technological advances were brought by scientists and engineers?

I wonder if Tolkien could claim that everything in the Lord of the Rings is true, and everything he wrote was told to him by god. Would that create a new religion or something?
In 1000 years future, would some claim about Marvel comics as what was really going on in the world? Imagine somebody's praying to Wolverine :bow:

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
So the average John Doe is willing to believe in god or spirituality of some sort, but will get bored of that kind of TV show?

If that's the case, I'd guess it would be somewhat similar to somebody who likes to gamble, but would never watch a TV show on gambling education.
Pretty much. People would find it like being in church again, or like their views were being attacked.

Who makes more sense.
Sounds too gameshow-y.

How do you know the pope is busy, if you have no clue what he's doing? I don't think he even has to get prepared.
I don't know because I'm not a Catholic, but I know he's going to be busy with something. Trips, speaking to people, things like that.

He's supposed to know everything there is to know about his religion.
He's not a walking Biblical encylopedia. Whilst he may know things, he will forget things and would need time to reflect, think about things, and come up with the meanings behind the texts as well as historical and cultural meanings to defend one's point.

You're maybe right about that. But I wish it would happen.
It would be fun. I'd prefer it without atheists, though; then I'd get more points of view besides "didn't happen, not real". :p

In case of Christianity, god would have to appear with Jesus if possible, then show us some tricks (hopefully without hurting anybody). Talk to the scientists how he managed to create the universe. In god's own words, re-write the bible in every language, using modern terminology.
Is that what you think God is like? Comes down on earth, does tricks, writes Bibles, speaks to people in words?
Oh bless. That's quite sweet. :)

How many people do you think that believe in something, even know the actual definition of the word 'believe'? And how many are actually using their imagination about supernatural?
A lot, for both. Probably.

BELIEVE:

EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE:
Thank you for being a dictionary. It was unnecessary though.