• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious people and due diligence

Snowman

I have been developing a thought for a while now and can't get to grips with how people come to accept this idea:

If something is important in your life (Christianity for example), that affects decisions you make, it is reasonable to want and maybe need it to be true.

Many other people claim other religions to be true.

Therefore it is reasonable to study these other religions to discount them as false and support your own.

A religious person who has not understood other religions through study etc, cannot know that are false, or cannot discount them. Cannot even say Christianity is more likely than another religion without studying it.

Therefore, all religious people who have not studied all religions are disingenuous when claiming they follow the correct one, as they do not know if another is true without some understanding of it.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. I'm getting to grips with critical thinking and trying to parse information, so any corrections or mistakes in my thought process would be welcomed.

Audie

Veteran Member
It's a bit much to study all religions.

An objective examination of one's own
religion should be sufficient.

That's already too much to ask, for reasons
including that for christians it's the opposite of
keeping the faith.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I think people's time would be even better served if they would focus on actually practicing their religion and developing virtuous traits through it, rather than petty ego nonsense over "my religion's better than yours!". That way, that don't even have to do all this study of other religions and can just focus on the one they feel convinced of.

Snowman

It's a bit much to study all religions.

An objective examination of one's own
religion should be sufficient.

That's already too much to ask, for reasons
including that for christians it's the opposite of
keeping the faith.
I agree, it's a monumental task. But how could someone say with honesty "I am convinced my religion is the correct one" without even knowing other religions arguments?

Convincing ones self because they are too lazy to study alternatives when seeking truth is..well..lazy.

Snowman

I think people's time would be even better served if they would focus on actually practicing their religion and developing virtuous traits through it, rather than petty ego nonsense over "my religion's better than yours!". That way, that don't even have to do all this study of other religions and can just focus on the one they feel convinced of.
I agree with the ego, im uninterested in who has the "best" religion. Im interested in which one could be true, if any. By ignoring that question, we are just hiding from potential truths?

In that case, why not develop virtuous traits without religion?

Audie

Veteran Member
I agree, it's a monumental task. But how could someone say with honesty "I am convinced my religion is the correct one" without even knowing other religions arguments?

Convincing ones self because they are too lazy to study alternatives when seeking truth is..well..lazy.
Most are born into their faith.

Sticking to it has nothing to do with thinking.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I agree with the ego, im uninterested in who has the "best" religion. Im interested in which one could be true, if any. By ignoring that question, we are just hiding from potential truths?

Well, the pursuit of truth is worthwhile, yes. Everyone should be familiar with the basics of at least the major religions, anyway.

This thread is about religious people, so why would I mention that?

Audie

Veteran Member

What are "truths"?

Audie

Veteran Member
Better to practice ( whatever that actually means)
than to objectively examine whether
something else is far better, whether
it's all nonsense, or worse?

Bthoth

*banned*
A religious person who has not understood other religions through study etc, cannot know that are false, or cannot discount them. Cannot even say Christianity is more likely than another religion without studying it.

Therefore, all religious people who have not studied all religions are disingenuous when claiming they follow the correct one, as they do not know if another is true without some understanding of it.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. I'm getting to grips with critical thinking and trying to parse information, so any corrections or mistakes in my thought process would be welcomed.
Solid rational.

I have the same style of comprehension and even contest a self proclaimed authority on a single sect based on such awareness.

For example: most every major religion will have a half dozen sects branched from the same dialogue so identifying the underlying principles is more important than which person is the scholar and which is not. As each may levy a different form of principles to accept as true, over another.
I like people, I trust that all of us are capable as soon as conscious.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Now I see how that first name applies (Saint) You show it even if that last name is about a character of many parts of many lives.

Good morning.
Thank you. That was very kind of you to say. My username is a contradiction on purpose, but my name is Frank (Frankenstein is a nickname).

Good morning to you, as well. :)

Bthoth

*banned*
Thank you. That was very kind of you to say. My username is a contradiction on purpose, but my name is Frank (Frankenstein is a nickname).

Good morning to you, as well. :)
Enjoy. We all are a sort of contradiction. I saw your label and on the first day cracked up identifying just how cute, funny, and intellectual it was without asking. But of course, you confirmed the idea that caught my eye.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Enjoy. We all are a sort of contradiction. I saw your label and on the first day cracked up identifying just how cute, funny, and intellectual it was without asking. But of course, you confirmed the idea that caught my eye.
Hahaha, thanks again. I'm glad you enjoyed it, and understood it!

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
For many, the idea of their religion being 'the correct one' is irrelevant. The 'check this box' idea of approaching religion only seems to fit certain faiths(mostly those for whom getting it 'wrong' has dire consequences). For some, their religion is an expression of who they are on a deeper level.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
If something is important in your life (Christianity for example), that affects decisions you make, it is reasonable to want and maybe need it to be true.
It is, but just speaking personally, I really don't ever think about this with respect to my religion in no small part because of what religion is. Here are some examples of how this line of thought would translate into questions in my religious practice:
  • Is it true that I get to decide what perspective I take on reality and everything in it? Is it true that I am who I am?
  • Is it true that I have the relationships with things in the world that I do? Is it true that I feel the way I feel?
  • Is it true that I express those relationships with ritual? Is it true that some things are worth celebrating?
Silly, right? I basically end up with a lot of rhetorical questions. My religion is who I am and what I do. It's not about it being "true" or not and that's a silly way to be thinking about it for me.

Therefore it is reasonable to study these other religions to discount them as false and support your own.

Not for me. How would other religions discount me and my way of life as "false" exactly? That doesn't even make any sense. Is it false to go to enjoy an opera performance just because other humans don't enjoy or go to opera? Is it true to major in economics and all other choice of majors is wrong for your studies in college? Is it true to have a strong relationship with your cat when other humans have strong relationships with their cats? Silly questions.

No, you study other religions to learn about others ways of life as part of developing relationships with those peoples. Or maybe for inspiration, as one's way of life can often be enriched by learning the ways of others. All things draw inspiration from that which has come before and that which is around us, after all. Why would I want to discount anyone else's way of being?

Snowman

What are "truths"?

By truth in this I mean: do I accept my religion to be true.

Yoexpect people to approach religion like an atheist, as if it can be objectively examined and disproven?

I guess so. In my head I can see lots of different bridges (religions) over a ravine and unsure which one is solid and which will collapse. Is it better to examine as best as possible or sit still and be happy in ignorance?

For many, the idea of their religion being 'the correct one' is irrelevant. The 'check this box' idea of approaching religion only seems to fit certain faiths(mostly those for whom getting it 'wrong' has dire consequences). For some, their religion is an expression of who they are on a deeper level.

Absolutely, some people are happy in their own faith without examining or testing it, credit to them. I'm far too cynical for that, which is probably why I ended up here.

My religion is who I am and what I do. It's not about it being "true" or not and that's a silly way to be thinking about it for me.

Not for me. How would other religions discount me and my way of life as "false" exactly?
The first point is fascinating to me, ill be honest, i struggle with that concept. Without some truth to grab on to i would be flailing in the dark i think.

The second point being, if you studied another religion, is there a chance you could align yourself more deeply with that one and come to believe this new religion to be one to follow. Would that not discount your current beliefs?