• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Music

Do you find that religious musicians (like Christian bands or Jewish rappers like MatisYahu) are corney or thought provoking?

Someone on a faith site called http://www.faith.com stated:

"But then there is Christian and Gospel music. The message of these musics are never wrong, but some of the artists sometimes think they have to sound like a secular band to draw an audience or to reach a crowd that would otherwise not be reached by Christian music. While they do that, there is a crowd that they are not reaching."

Do you think that religious music should stick to hymnal sort of sounds or is it okay to have "Christian Rock" and "Jewish reggage"?

onmybelief

I myself prefer hymnal hymns. But I really do not have any problem with the newer types of worship music, indeed some of it is quite good. It all conveys the same message.

d.

_______
corny, most of the time.

i love religious music though - gregorian chant (the real deal, not the terrible new-age versions), afro-american gospel, rastafarian nyabinghi music and roots reggae and chinese gu qin music to name a few.

but religious 'popular music' never seems to hit home for some reason. it just doesn't feel real. staple singers and sixteen horsepower/woven hand is the only exceptions i can think of at the moment, i'm sure there are others.

Master Vigil

Music is music, what the message is is up to the artist, not the form of music the artist uses to convey that message.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I absolutely adore chanting and high-pitched music (which tends to be religious). I tend to focus more on the sound than the message.

If there's one type of music I loathe, though, it's organ hymns. Ugh! Comes from being forced to listen to so many as a kid, I guess.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I really love alternative Christian music for two reasons...

I love to rock out and as a Christian...I try to listen to positive music as much as possible.

Christian rock/metal/alternative bands allow me to have the best of both worlds.

I admit there is some corny stuff out there but the positives outweigh the negatives and I think that Christian rock CAN reach younger generations in a way that hymnals can't.

Karl R

One of the most prolific hymn-writers in the Methodist church was Charles Wesley, brother of the founder, John Wesley.

Charles Wesley took popular drinking tunes of the day and put christian words to them. Scanning the web, I discovered that his works include:

"Christ the Lord is Risen Today"
"Come Thou Long-Expected Jesus"
"Hark! the Herald Angels Sing"
"Love Divine, All Loves Excelling"
"O For a Thousand Tongues to Sing"

And about 3 dozen others.

The christian pop rock of today will become the hymnal sounds of tomorrow.

onmybelief

Karl R said:
One of the most prolific hymn-writers in the Methodist church was Charles Wesley, brother of the founder, John Wesley.

Charles Wesley took popular drinking tunes of the day and put christian words to them. Scanning the web, I discovered that his works include:

"Christ the Lord is Risen Today"
"Come Thou Long-Expected Jesus"
"Hark! the Herald Angels Sing"
"Love Divine, All Loves Excelling"
"O For a Thousand Tongues to Sing"

And about 3 dozen others.

The christian pop rock of today will become the hymnal sounds of tomorrow.

Those hymns you mentioned are some of my favorites. Charles Wesley is my favorite poet/hymnist. Are you a Methodist by any chance?

Faint

I will say that music that is categorized specifically as "religious" or "christian rock" generally sucks. It's pretty much a rule--they could carve it in stone and display the tablets outside of record stores.

I've heard great music made by people who declare themselves a certain religion, but the music itself tends to be secular.

Creed vs. Tool comes to mind.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Some of my favourite music is religious or has religious undertones or tends to make reference to religion. And from all religions to no religion.

I love MatisYahu, Five Iron Frenzy, KrishnaDas, E Nomine, Tool/APC/Puscifer to name a few.

finalfrogo

CandiceCavallieri said:
Do you find that religious musicians (like Christian bands or Jewish rappers like MatisYahu) are corney or thought provoking?

Someone on a faith site called http://www.faith.com stated:

"But then there is Christian and Gospel music. The message of these musics are never wrong, but some of the artists sometimes think they have to sound like a secular band to draw an audience or to reach a crowd that would otherwise not be reached by Christian music. While they do that, there is a crowd that they are not reaching."

Do you think that religious music should stick to hymnal sort of sounds or is it okay to have "Christian Rock" and "Jewish reggage"?

I think that it is good to adjust music styles to the popular style, as long as the messages remain good and accurately represent the religion's morals and values. A larger audience is reached when a common style is used.

:guitar1:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Their not considered religious, but Godsmack has a few songs that make references to Wicca. Theres even a large coven performing a ritual on the Voodoo video.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Bob Marley makes refrences to 'the almighty', 'god' and 'Jah' quite regularly. I love his music. That aside I can't think of music with a pro-religious element that I like. Bad Religion however....what a band!

I enjoy reggae and ska so maybe I'll enjoy that Jewish reggae dude. Anyone else think that the music you hear at Jewish weddings (I've never been to one, thought the look like great on telly) has a ska off-beat feel to it?

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
I love "Amazing Grace." I often sing it while doing dishes or taking a shower. I hate it when it's played on bagpipes, though. Very annoying!

Maxist

It is idiotic; what is the pont? It is not provoking in any way; and most of it is crap; badly written crap.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Maxist said:
It is idiotic; what is the pont? It is not provoking in any way; and most of it is crap; badly written crap.

How much have you listened to and what kind have you listened to?