• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

religious movies recommmendations

robtex

Veteran Member
Just wanted to start a thread on this. Wanted to wait till I had a good one though...and I got one. The Holy Land by cavu pictures.
http://www.theholylandmovie.com

It won a few awards listed on the homepage but the inner meaning made i really deep for me. A young Jewish student studying to be a rabbi and goes to town at the advice of his rabbi to get the sexual urge out of him. He meets an atheist prostitute from Russia and falls for her. The movie has aspects of the Jewish and Muslim community in it and atheistic charcters in the plot in the form of Mike (who owns a bar) and Sasha the prostitute. I wish I kmew how to articutate the concepts but each one sees the prespective of the others. Just has neat undertones about religion. The movie is set in Jerusalem. The director, Eitan Gorlin was once a bartender in Jerusalem called "Mike's place." He is also born Jewish.

If you click on "about the director I found it very interesting.

t3gah

robtex said:
Sounds like this could be a candidate for Best Foreign Picture from the Academy.

I doubt I'll be able to see that movie up in the mountains where I live. That's what happens to all of the good movies though. They only play the big dollar movies up here. :(

jewscout said:
"Prince of Egypt"
What's that movie about? Who stars in it? Is the movie in English or ?

--
How about the special edition version of The Greatest Story Ever Told? That's a nice movie too.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
What's that movie about? Who stars in it? Is the movie in English or ?
It's an animated pick by Dreamworks about Moses and the Exodus with the voices of Val Kilmer and Michelle Phifer. It's muy bueno!:D

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
t3gah said:
Ever see that Jonah movie? The animated asparagus Jonah?
I've yet to see it, but it comes from the Veggie Tales series. The series, although mainly focusing on the Christian faith, is so funny and heartfelt that most people I've met, no matter what their religion, love it.

Two of my favorite religious movies are ones that one might not normally associate with religion. I love "Amadeus," which deals with how a person might feel if they think their god has betrayed them. Also, "The Fisher King" deals very nicely with the concepts of redemption and forgiveness.

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
OMG OMG OMG I LOVE VEGGIE TALES. they are soooooo cute! i love thier voices. omg they are wicked cute and funny! haha. lol. nuts!

Anna Debour

I read today that Mel Gibson has purchased the rights to Stealing from Angels by Brian Dullaghan to make into a film in 2006.

The book is brilliant

I think you can buy the book in any country from barnesandnoble.com and internet book stores.

God bless

Anna Debour

atateen007

I personally liked- "The Stigmata". About the supposed afflication of christs wounds upon a human. Pretty good stuff.

M

Majikthise

"Dogma", though it is meant to be comedy, can be quite philosophical and thought provoking.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Saved! is a good movie. In particular I like the part where one of the "Christians" screams "I am filled with Christ's love!" and throws the Bible at the girl she's yelling at. The girl yells back, "This is not a weapon!"

It has humor and some serious moments in it. I enjoyed it. :)

linwood

The Name of the Rose
Sean Connery rocks!

[size=-1]www.fast-rewind.com/rose.htm

The site won`t let me copy/paste so go check it out for a sec.

PS.Dogma is awesome!

[/size]

cfer

Yeah, the Veggie Tales stories are really cute.

I like Dogma for the comedic/satirical value.

The Prophecy is also a pretty good one. Viggo Mortenson does a tremendous job of playing the Devil.

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
the exorcist was ... intense. i saw the old 70s version when i was in 4th grade. not a good thing.... i was freaked out for weeks, wouldnt go near my bed for a month.

allahuabha

"The Message" is definitely a great movie to watch about Islam. It is AWESOME.

There's also a rumor that Mel Gibson is going to do a movie about the martyrs of the Baha'i faith. I have read some things on the internet, but I don't believe anything is final. Does anyone know any information?

ayani

not an outwardly religious movie, but i found About Schmidt to be incredibly moving.

The Prince of Egypt is also a beautiful movie, and i'd like to see that animated film about Mohammed that recently came out. it looks beautiful!

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Probably the greatest religious movie of ALL time, and easily the most accurate would be "Monty Python and the Holy Grail". The detail is excruciatingly vivid and the entire movie gives a great insight into the Crusades.